Is college worth it? (US)

SirNumbers

... Your are not just getting a piece of paper. You are actually learning things. ...

It depends... I know 20+ people who really learn something from collage, but in same time I can show you 250+ that was dumb asses before collage and now are 3 times dumber... If you want to learn collage is right place for you, if you need just a piece of paper better stay away... 

English is not my maternal language, so don't mind my mistakes... 

Seems to be worth it to me. My brother is a senior in college doing Computer Science and has gotten numerous scholarships, two internships at Google, and has actually a job lined up at Google once he graduates. It helps that he started programming when he was 11 or 12, but it was his effort and dedication to it in college that really allowed him to succeed.

And college really isn't that expensive if you get a lot of financial aid and scholarships. I got a $5000 a year scholarship as well as around $11,000 worth of financial aid due to my success in school, a high score on the SAT, and the fact that I'm one of three children in my family. Thanks to all that, with half my financial aid and scholarships, my college bill this semester was around $550, vs. around $10,000 without it.

But it really does depend on what you want to do, honestly(I'm a Chem major), and the amount of money you receive could be drastically different. Apparently my SAT score was in the top 5% in the country or something like that, so that probably had a big impact.

Where does your brother go to college? I'm going to be getting my bachelors in Computer Science and right now I'm debating between S&T (Rolla) or SEMO. SEMO is the cheaper option but does the college really effect anything? Both are good schools, it's just ROLLA is much better. Actually the 3rd highest paying college in the US.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

Where does your brother go to college? I'm going to be getting my bachelors in Computer Science and right now I'm debating between S&T (Rolla) or SEMO. SEMO is the cheaper option but does the college really effect anything? Both are good schools, it's just ROLLA is much better. Actually the 3rd highest paying college in the US.

I think as long as you go to a well-known college and work hard, it's fine. We both go to Purdue University in our home state of Indiana. 

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

It depends... I know 20+ people who really learn something from collage, but in same time I can show you 250+ that was dumb asses before collage and now are 3 times dumber... If you want to learn collage is right place for you, if you need just a piece of paper better stay away...

What the actual fuck are you talking about?

My Computer

Beef Cake

Intel i5 4690k @ 3.5GHz - EVGA 970 FTW - ASRock Z97 Extreme3 - Kingston HyperX Fury 8Gb 1866MHz - 120GB Samsung Evo - 1TB Toshiba Drive - 320GB Samsung Barracuda - Corsair 500M

What the actual fuck are you talking about?

Sorry, but I can't explain it simpler- obviously you are too stupid to get it... 

Go to college in-state, spend as little money as possible.

CPU: Intel i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core   Mobo: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150   Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series(2x4GB) DDR3-1600   GPU: Asus Strix OC GTX 970   HDD: WD Black 2TB - 7200RPM   SDD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB   PSU: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze - SemiMod   Case: NZXT S340 (Black)

PCPartPicker: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/PortedOasis/saved/fhdG3C

Sorry, but I can't explain it simpler- obviously you are too stupid to get it...

/\ this, I get it completely, and know some people like that.

My AMD Build:

Spoiler

FX 6300 @ 4.8GHz, Zalman CNPS14X, MSI 970 Gaming, 16gb 1866MHz AData Ram, 3D Club R9 280X, Corsair 600M Psu, Thermaltake V3 AMD Edition Case, D-link 1200AC WiFi, 240gb Mushkin SSD, 2tb WD HDD, 140gb WD HDD (recording gameplay), 5x CoolerMaster SickleFlow 120mm fans, Windows 10 64Bit

Sisters Intel Build:

Spoiler

I7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, CoolerMaster 212 Evo, Gigabyte Gaming 5, 16gb 1866MHz Corsair Ram, 3D Club R9 390, EVGA 650GS Psu, NZXT S340 Case, D-Link 1200AC WiFi Card, HyperX 240gb SSD, 2tb WD HDD, Windows 10 64 Bit

Unless you are going IVY league or medical school there is no reason college should cost 200k.

My alma Mater currently cost roughly $40k for instate off campus tuition for one BS/BA degree.  Books not included.

Also if you plan on going into business for yourself you probably should ask yourself what sort of education do you need to improve the odds you will succeed.

Depending on previous training in such areas you may be better off hitting a community college and taking a few business classes.

That all being said statistically speaking folks with post secondary education make more than those with just a high school diploma, and a lot more than high school drop outs.

However while that includes college it also includes trade skills, such as welding, electrician, HVAC, etc... 

If I were to rewind and do it all over I'd probably would of learned a trade skill myself.  Its good work and generally in demand; especially with the growing labor shortage in those fields.

I don't think you understand. We aren't talking about picture collages but college.

My Computer

Beef Cake

Intel i5 4690k @ 3.5GHz - EVGA 970 FTW - ASRock Z97 Extreme3 - Kingston HyperX Fury 8Gb 1866MHz - 120GB Samsung Evo - 1TB Toshiba Drive - 320GB Samsung Barracuda - Corsair 500M

college here is $2000 for all 3 years

including school supplies

CANADA MASTER RACE BICHES

In Canada we generally have to go to universities to get degrees, and they are 4 years, and they cost closer to $2000 a semester, not $2000 a degree.

so no.

In Canada we generally have to go to universities to get degrees, and they are 4 years, and they cost closer to $2000 a semester, not $2000 a degree.

so no.

• Location Victoria BC

so no.

• Location Victoria BC

Not sure what this post means?

Go to college in-state, spend as little money as possible.

That's basically my advice. 

• Go instate
  • Don't dorm or rent unless you have to
  • Rent used, don't buy books (rent used is like 10% the cost)

Too many people I knew booked it across the country to UCLA to do something they could have done at my uni and bitch they're already 50k in debt.

Knowledge is power, guard it well.

Steam | Twitch | YT | Build

Can a buisness idea actually ever be full proof?

Please go to college before investing in a business. While nothing is ever foolproof, it is the best way to be prepared. 

It's worth it, just make sure the college you are going to is credible so that you don't graduate with a worthless sheet of paper.

I'd go with community college. It's not the best and the people arent great, but its cheap and most places credits carry over if you were to switch. 

I was recently job hunting, and since I prefer more mechanical jobs, they were all looking for certs/experience. Not one of those jobs asked for a BA degree.

Unless you plan to teach, or be a doctor. I'd say no. But if you are planning on running your own business, I would look at getting at least an AA in business and maybe some economics classes.

No education is worth going $200K  in debt, EVER.