Is college worth it? (US)

SirNumbers

You don't pay as much

Also you have the peace of mind knowing that it's free

Better system

How can someone be against free healthcare? I don't get that.

I'd love free health care but how much more are the taxes then in the US where if your in the higher 20% there like 40% or something

Nvm that's completely wrong it's actually 2%

Fedex Ground must be on Horse back, It took 7 days to go 200 miles

How the hell does college cost 50 grand a year for you?

If you're an international student at a developed country, $50k per year (only for school, not counting rent, food, etc.) is actually realistic.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X            | Cooler: Deepcool AK400      | Motherboard: B550 Elite AX V2  | Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB   | GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Ti        | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)    | PSU: EVGA 650W G2             |

OP if from NYC and title says (US) pretty sure that's not the case here.

I know it was unlikely for the OP, but I was just saying. :P

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X            | Cooler: Deepcool AK400      | Motherboard: B550 Elite AX V2  | Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB   | GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Ti        | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)    | PSU: EVGA 650W G2             |

200k? On my current course, I'll graduate with my BS with around ~30k in student loan debt. Less actually, since I take the full government student loans just to have liquid cash in case of an emergency. 

To answer the whether or not college is worth it. It's a lot more than just attaining a piece of paper. A good college will encourage you to grow as a person (in a variety of ways) and also teach you the vocational skills in order to compete in the job market. My school in particular pounds on the fact that a degree alone no longer makes you competitive as education becomes more and more accessible and encourages students to take up a variety of activities (clubs, jobs, internships) to show future employers that not only do you have the knowledge/skills but also the intangibles.

100-200 grand worth it? :/

Go to a community college, less expensive same education. 

200k? On my current course, I'll graduate with my BS with around ~30k in student loan debt. Less actually, since I take the full government student loans just to have liquid cash in case of an emergency. 

To answer the whether or not college is worth it. It's a lot more than just attaining a piece of paper. A good college will encourage you to grow as a person (in a variety of ways) and also teach you the vocational skills in order to compete in the job market. My school in particular pounds on the fact that a degree alone no longer makes you competitive as education becomes more and more accessible and encourages students to take up a variety of activities (clubs, jobs, internships) to show future employers that not only do you have the knowledge/skills but also the intangibles.

Exactly. I have a paid internship in my school's IT department and am majoring in History while minoring in Business  :P. It shows an employer that you're competent all-around and hard working. 

If you're planning on going to a grad school, that's not really an option as it makes it nigh impossible to get accepted. Also a lot of employers will laugh at you if you have a community college degree, especially in today's saturated market. 

Guide to GTX 900 Series: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/457526-nvidia-900-series-basic-performance-guide/

Performance expert, building noob. 

There is no such thing as excess in hardware. 

This ^. Many community colleges and state colleges have transfer agreements that allow you to take a variety of classes that can then be used towards your bachelors.  

I say yes, just make sure it is a good college.

You'll regret it later if you don't go though.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Also a lot of employers will laugh at you if you have a community college degree, especially in today's saturated market. 

That's not necessarily true. It all depends on the field you're going into or the job you're shooting for.

You also have to consider a CC can help you cover your Gen Ed requirements often at a cheaper per credit hour rate. 

@MrZany

If you're planning on going to a grad school, that's not really an option as it makes it nigh impossible to get accepted. Also a lot of employers will laugh at you if you have a community college degree, especially in today's saturated market. 

Most community colleges AFAIK only offer certificates or associates degrees. I agree it would be very hard to enter a graduate program with just these but usually people transfer into a 4-year undergraduate program after taking a few classes at a community college.

That's not necessarily true. It all depends on the field you're going into or the job you're shooting for.

You also have to consider a CC can help you cover your Gen Ed requirements often at a cheaper per credit hour rate. 

As a person who's going to apply to prestigious Law School (GW), having even a sniff of CC on my resume can get me denied.

You are very right, it depends on a person's unique situation. When it comes to hands-on work, CC is certainly a great option. However, when it comes to more Liberal Arts oriented majors, it's not the greatest choice.

@MrZany

Most community colleges AFAIK only offer certificates or associates degrees. I agree it would be very hard to enter a graduate program with just these but usually people transfer into a 4-year undergraduate program after taking a few classes at a community college.

It is fiscally smart in the short term, but (depending on your major) it may not be smart in the long-run as it could result in you having a hard time getting into grad school or finding a job. This issue isn't really a "one size fits all" but for my situation it makes no sense.

If you took a gap year and can get a job, it may actually be fiscally smarter to just work because the money you save with CC compared to the actual school you're going to is, more than likely, negligible. 

Guide to GTX 900 Series: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/457526-nvidia-900-series-basic-performance-guide/

If you have full-proof ideas... College is worthless

"Full-proof"?

In this example, I think college would not be worthless for you. ;)

not only do you have the knowledge/skills but also the intangibles.

But knowledge and skills are also intangible. ;)

I would say it's essential. Your are not just getting a piece of paper. You are actually learning things. For instance, In Georgia, you are required to take Political Systems so then you have some sort of idea as to how the government works.

My Computer

Beef Cake

Intel i5 4690k @ 3.5GHz - EVGA 970 FTW - ASRock Z97 Extreme3 - Kingston HyperX Fury 8Gb 1866MHz - 120GB Samsung Evo - 1TB Toshiba Drive - 320GB Samsung Barracuda - Corsair 500M

The answer is not a simple yes or no. What do you want to do? Want to be a doctor? If so, you will absolutely need to go to college. On the other hand if you want to be a machinist a trade school will be sufficient. 

You can make very good money without a college degree, but your odds are greatly increased by getting a college degree. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Seems to be worth it to me. My brother is a senior in college doing Computer Science and has gotten numerous scholarships, two internships at Google, and has actually a job lined up at Google once he graduates. It helps that he started programming when he was 11 or 12, but it was his effort and dedication to it in college that really allowed him to succeed.

And college really isn't that expensive if you get a lot of financial aid and scholarships. I got a $5000 a year scholarship as well as around $11,000 worth of financial aid due to my success in school, a high score on the SAT, and the fact that I'm one of three children in my family. Thanks to all that, with half my financial aid and scholarships, my college bill this semester was around $550, vs. around $10,000 without it.

But it really does depend on what you want to do, honestly(I'm a Chem major), and the amount of money you receive could be drastically different. Apparently my SAT score was in the top 5% in the country or something like that, so that probably had a big impact.

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

Depends on your field of interest, whether or not you need it, and whether or not your a retard who goes to a needlessly expensive uni rather than a high quality local or state uni and save mad money.

My uni was rated #7 in my state and the average graduate only had $24,000 in debt compared to people who walked out of a UC school with 80k.+

I'm doing a biology program so I basically need it, but if you do go prepare for about 2 years worth of courses to be annoying and shit you'll forget ASAP, aside from the one or two classes out of 15 you actually liked. Also almost all intro level classes are taught by graduate students so 80% of your first year will be being taught by not-teachers.

On my 3rd year and the shit still is annoying but damn will that money be worth it.

Knowledge is power, guard it well.

Steam | Twitch | YT | Build

It's not worth it if you're paying off your loans for 20 years or you have to take a considerable amount of high interest private loans. No job will cover those expenses and it'll prolong your ability to move out or travel, etc.

Keep it cheap. I went to a CC and graduated with no debt and now if I end up switching back to a part time job  and attend university locally, I'll graduate with 20k in a debt (maybe less with scholarships and financial aid). 30k if I go to a more prestigious school and online. 

Don't forget about trade schools. This country is suffering from a deficit of good welders, machinists, plumbers, etc. If you're good with your hands this may be up your alley.

The answer is not a simple yes or no. What do you want to do? Want to be a doctor? If so, you will absolutely need to go to college. On the other hand if you want to be a machinist a trade school will be sufficient. 

You can make very good money without a college degree, but your odds are greatly increased by getting a college degree. 

^This guy speaks the truth. To all the naysayers of college/uni, you're wrong. You won't get the same information online. Do you expect to become a certified engineer or doctor by just reading online? At the same time, going to post secondary for career that doesn't need it just to "boost up" your resume isn't exactly a good idea. Go to wherever will get you to where you want to go.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

Move here, school is completly free here :)

Sample Text ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Depends on the subject. ART.....pfft no way. Trades..fuck yea.

My AMD Build:

Spoiler

FX 6300 @ 4.8GHz, Zalman CNPS14X, MSI 970 Gaming, 16gb 1866MHz AData Ram, 3D Club R9 280X, Corsair 600M Psu, Thermaltake V3 AMD Edition Case, D-link 1200AC WiFi, 240gb Mushkin SSD, 2tb WD HDD, 140gb WD HDD (recording gameplay), 5x CoolerMaster SickleFlow 120mm fans, Windows 10 64Bit

Sisters Intel Build:

Spoiler

I7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, CoolerMaster 212 Evo, Gigabyte Gaming 5, 16gb 1866MHz Corsair Ram, 3D Club R9 390, EVGA 650GS Psu, NZXT S340 Case, D-Link 1200AC WiFi Card, HyperX 240gb SSD, 2tb WD HDD, Windows 10 64 Bit

A College Grad makes $17,500 more a year (on average) than a highschool grad. It's worth it.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2014/02/11/study-income-gap-between-young-college-and-high-school-grads-widens