Which Anti-Virus should I use?

Mike6794

The three I've been looking at are AVG Protection 2015, Norton 360, and ESET Smart Security 2015. I have Norton on my laptop right now and it works great, and I had ESET on my old laptop and I don't remember having any problems with it. However recently I was told that both Norton and ESET aren't very good. Which one should I go with or is there a different program that I should use that I don't have listed?

I use malware bytes and Super Anti Spyware

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

I use malwarebytes and windows defender 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

malwarebytes + avg

a lot of people use avast instead of avg too, I just like AVG better and its as good as avast

all of these are free ^^^

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

The three I've been looking at are AVG Protection 2015, Norton 360, and ESET Smart Security 2015. I have Norton on my laptop right now and it works great, and I had ESET on my old laptop and I don't remember having any problems with it. However recently I was told that both Norton and ESET aren't very good. Which one should I go with or is there a different program that I should use that I don't have listed?

MSE + Malwarebytes + common sense

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Malwarebytes + Avast

Windows Defender + Malwarebytes and some common sense.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

your brain is the best anti virus

nope

remember when a really popular (and safe) screenshot program Puush got an official update which thousands of people installed and it turned out to be a virus?

yeah, sometimes its not possible for your brain to know if something is a virus, especially if its coming from a trusted source

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

nope

remember when a really popular (and safe) screenshot program Puush got an official update which thousands of people installed and it turned out to be a virus?

yeah, sometimes its not possible for your brain to know if something is a virus, especially if its coming from a trusted source

good thing i never updated or even update puush

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

good thing i never updated or even update puush

but this can happen to any piece of software

which is why you need an antivirus

Spoiler

I think we really need a sticky on this, or recommend software in general.  I feel like this question is asked too much.  This thread should be a sticky, but of course, should be audited for errors and such beforehand..

That aside:

For free AV you should either get Avira or Bitdefender.  Bitdefender is more lightweight, but it doesn't give you many options in terms of control or how it works.

If you want a paid one then either Bitdefender or Kaspersky.  I would probably go with Kaspersky just for the fact that their team has found a lot of security issues in the past.  You can also check out AVTEST, a third-party company that rates AVs.  (Bitdefender and Kaspersky are the top 2)

Do not get Avast!, as it is complete shit.  Go to this link to find out why.

You will also want to scan your computer weekly, or whatever amount of time you are comfortable with,  with Malwarebytes.  Just to be clear, Malwarebytes is NOT an AV, nor should it be used like one.  So do not run it along side your AV, only use it is a scanner.  Make sure to not accept the trial it offers, and to disable it on startup.

but this can happen to any piece of software

which is why you need an antivirus

Been saying this for a super long time.

Ignorant people always claiming "hurdur your brain is best av"

Not if you do any kind of work on your pc. I'd recommend kaspersky or bitdefender if you can find them for cheap, im sure there are deals somewhere 

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

Hi

If you are using the latet version of windows, there is no need for you to invest on antivirus. I would suggest you focus on anti malware like malwarebytes

Hope it helps

Yoomanipop