Windows 7 vs Windows 8/8.1 - which would you go back to?

goldmind

Currently, my PC is Windows 7 Home Premium. In my future PC build, I would like to try Windows 8 or 8.1.

Now, I have done a bit of research (mostly wiki) and reviewers have been saying that the biggest criticism is the confusing user interface which google shows looks like this :

start_button_back_0.pngStart_2D00_screen_2D00_High_2D00_res_5F0

I am SORT OF okay with trying something new but IF this is what Windows 8 or 8.1 start up screen looks like (being confusing or cluttered), then

is there any other redeeming qualities in purchasing a license for Windows 8?

Or, perhaps I should stick with Windows 7 and upgrade to Professional since it is familiar and the start up is how I like it?

I'm on 8.1 and its OK compared to 7. It does get really confusing at times, and some things just don't make sense. Stick with 7.

My AMD Build:

Spoiler

FX 6300 @ 4.8GHz, Zalman CNPS14X, MSI 970 Gaming, 16gb 1866MHz AData Ram, 3D Club R9 280X, Corsair 600M Psu, Thermaltake V3 AMD Edition Case, D-link 1200AC WiFi, 240gb Mushkin SSD, 2tb WD HDD, 140gb WD HDD (recording gameplay), 5x CoolerMaster SickleFlow 120mm fans, Windows 10 64Bit

Sisters Intel Build:

Spoiler

I7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, CoolerMaster 212 Evo, Gigabyte Gaming 5, 16gb 1866MHz Corsair Ram, 3D Club R9 390, EVGA 650GS Psu, NZXT S340 Case, D-Link 1200AC WiFi Card, HyperX 240gb SSD, 2tb WD HDD, Windows 10 64 Bit

Win8 mustard race

french-s-classic-yellow-mustard-226g-8oz

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

I'm sticking with 10 though because of its features and stability even though there are privacy concerns.

I'm just hoping MS gets their shit together mid way and removes some features from 10.

I produce music!

I would use Windows 8.1 over Windows 7 anyday.

Windows 8.1 feels more refined, and honestly the Start menu thing just isn't a problem at all.

I never upgraded from 7. Honestly I would go back to 7 with no problem. I'll deal with 10 though

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

Stick with 7 its just a massive hastle switching back when you realise 8 is useless.

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

Windows 8 start screen  default layout doesn't make it justice.

What I mean, is that it doesn't showcase that you can do with it, nor have a recommended layout. They are just tiles thrown on the screen, for you to organize. I don't know if that was made by choice to, in the hope of, force the user to learn how to customize it, or didn't see it as a problem (which of course, my view is only an opinion, not a fact onto why it got criticism), and the lack of any discovery tool, until 8.1 was released with the "help" app. It had no tutorial, or anything to get started, while Windows 7 had easy accessible on Microsoft website and Windows YouTube channel showcasing every new end-user features of the OS, that affects the most people.

They are several layout that people have shared on this forum a few years ago on layout designs. Now I am on Win10, but before, I had the most used item at the bottom left corner of the screen, including pin of folders that I access often, and I pinned all my games on the Start Screen for direct launch (not to mention that Steam is a pain to use with a touch screen, when it comes to my Surface Pro 2, and not high-DPI support, even today with 4K monitors and 2-3K resolution laptop screens becoming more and more common). I put labels on my groups. My group where "Home" (where I had project folder, Download and Documents folders, Weather, News, Music, etc. all the stuff I access often), then I had "Productivity" group, where I put all my software that I launch often, then "Office", then games.

If I would(I won't I like W10) I would go with Windows 8.1, there's nothing in this world that would make me go back to Windows 7. Windows 8.1 + Third party start menu = HEAVEN, I had the best experience both in gaming and daily use in Windows 8.1.

Windows 10 is getting there, a few more months of update and it'll get there(not that I'm having problems).

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p

Windows in total has too many issues for me.  Linux fits my needs unless I want to play DayZ on occasion.

I like normal windows 8.  I like that there aren't 50 million options.  I don't mind "Metro" and I don't mind how it works.  8 flat has the least usage of resources.  8.1 has too many wierd driver borks and 10 can't run half the games I have on steam.

Windows 7 is, what, 8 years old?  7 years old?  It's outdated and the only person left at the chinese place at closing time.

using linux for almost everything. the one windows drive I have has 8.1 because I am not going to bother to play with it. as long as it works I'm fine. I have my windows only games on that and some programs and it's fine. don't care much for W10. but ubuntu 15.10 beta is out so yeyyy :D  :lol: also centOS is love #2 and Xubuntu is love #3 with steamOS coming at love #4

I am a member of the PCMasterRace. I am terribly sad to announce that I own a PeasantStation 3 Super Slim. it's in a drawer away from my glorious PC.
F@H stats:http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=AngelKoura