EVGA GTX 780 CLASSIFIED faster than titan!

EFD307

Im sure it wouldent be long beofre we saw a 780 beat up a titan but today it finally happened! With MSI pushing back their 780 Lightning 21 days i broke down and bought myself a 780 calssified.

http://www.chiploco.com/evga-gtx-780-classified-beats-gtx-titan-3dmark-firestrike-27967/

RIG:|Corsair Obsidion 650d|MSI Mpower Z87| i7-4770k (4Ghz)|Corsair H100 cooler|16Gb corsair dominator platinum 1866Mhz|  EVGA GTX 780 classified (runs at 1240Mhz)| 1200W pc power and cooling silencer mkIII PSU|recon sound blaster champion series| 1Tb WD black| 256Gb Samsung 840 pro| Monitors:| Samsung px2370| ASUS VG248QE| X-star 27" 2560x1440 korean monitor (runs at 100Hz)| other stuff:| Razer black widow ultimate| Razer mamba 2013 edition| Razer Vespula mousepad| Klipsch X10i| Ultrasone Pro750| Harmon/Kardon sound sticks 2| 

On LN2. :unsure:

Case: Fractal Design Define R3 | MoBo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k @ 4.6GHz | CPU Heatsink: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO | GPU: MSI R9 280X @ 1150/1700  | RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600MHz | Sound Card: ASUS Xonar DG | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB (WD1001FALS)

whats that with the lightning? o.O its not coming today? buying a classified then. ;)

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

geez.... it beat a titan..... Thats amazing! If only we could use those kinds of overclocks everyday :P

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

a regular 780 beats a titan also...

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

I would buy a 780 if it had more than 3gb of VRAM. A card this powerful is made to push high resolutions and 3gb doesn't give me enough leeway for a future SLI.

Thank you! Unfortunately much of this forum doesnt understand that concept.
Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

I don't see 4k... the 780 would be beaten in 4k

the link above doesn't say anything about 4k...  and the number of people that game on 4k prolly doesn't exceed double digits...

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

I would buy a 780 if it had more than 3gb of VRAM. A card this powerful is made to push high resolutions and 3gb doesn't give me enough leeway for a future SLI.

Dont mean to stray off-topic here but having 2x 3gb 780's, totaling 6gb together is not enough for you HOW? If you are perhaps doing 1440p or 1600p resolutions per monitor in a triple monitor setup... but even then passing 6gb usage? perhaps if the monitors were all 120Hz... just curious to your statement as it sounds like you are a craaaazy hardcore PC user/gamer/enthusiast with all the cash to get all the expensive monitors and other equipment to actually need 2x 4gb cards over 2x 3gb cards..... tell me I'm wrong.

Dont mean to stray off-topic here but having 2x 3gb 780's, totaling 6gb together is not enough for you HOW? If you are perhaps doing 1440p or 1600p resolutions per monitor in a triple monitor setup... but even then passing 6gb usage? perhaps if the monitors were all 120Hz... just curious to your statement as it sounds like you are a craaaazy hardcore PC user/gamer/enthusiast with all the cash to get all the expensive monitors and other equipment to actually need 2x 4gb cards over 2x 3gb cards..... tell me I'm wrong.

ram doesnt add up like that when you stack graphics cards.  each gpu still needs to see the same data,  so you're still getting 3gb of effective vram no matter how many cards you have

im pretty sure VRAM doesnt work like that man....

Thank you! Unfortunately much of this forum doesnt understand that concept.

I wasnt trying to argue that the 780 is a better card, the titan still trumps it in multi display, high res and most other things but the fact that nvidia doesnt allow any alterations to the design means that the 780 can be made to show better results in benchmarks and causts significantly less. I think the 780 is a great card for a generation or two but even games like skyrim using mods can max out the vram easily, i mean its still a great card but its uses are somewhat limited by its lack of ram. if you want a card with more vram to sli im pretty sure they will release a 4gb 770 sometime.

RIG:|Corsair Obsidion 650d|MSI Mpower Z87| i7-4770k (4Ghz)|Corsair H100 cooler|16Gb corsair dominator platinum 1866Mhz|  EVGA GTX 780 classified (runs at 1240Mhz)| 1200W pc power and cooling silencer mkIII PSU|recon sound blaster champion series| 1Tb WD black| 256Gb Samsung 840 pro| Monitors:| Samsung px2370| ASUS VG248QE| X-star 27" 2560x1440 korean monitor (runs at 100Hz)| other stuff:| Razer black widow ultimate| Razer mamba 2013 edition| Razer Vespula mousepad| Klipsch X10i| Ultrasone Pro750| Harmon/Kardon sound sticks 2| 

I see, thanks for clarifying that. I'm about to hit buy on 2x 2gb 770's on newegg. I have a 1440p 120Hz monitor and thought it should be more than enough to max everything out. Are you guys saying to spend an extra $40 per card to get 4gb? Will I be able to SEE/FEEL a difference in gameplay?

I see, thanks for clarifying that. I'm about to hit buy on 2x 2gb 770's on newegg. I have a 1440p 120Hz monitor and thought it should be more than enough to max everything out. Are you guys saying to spend an extra $40 per card to get 4gb? Will I be able to SEE/FEEL a difference in gameplay?

Yes! $40 is a great investment to ensure the longevity of the card and give you the necessary vram should you decide to run SLI. If nothing else double memory cards are fetching alot more money on ebay than reference models so you'd definetly get that $40 back in resell value if nothing else. Look at it this way, if you spend the $40 bucks now and dont need the vram, oh well, sell the card. If you dont spend the $40 bucks and you become vram limited, you cant take that $40 bucks and fix the problem. You have to buy a whole new card. Dont risk it, buy the 4gb model.
Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

It will make absolutely no difference in a game that uses less than 2gb of VRAM, BUT if you are playing Crysis 3 or some future high res texture game, you will notice a HUGE drop in FPS if you max out that 2gb buffer as the GPU will be forced to draw on a slower memory (RAM at best) source and will make the game basically unplayable at those settings. For example, I had a high end HD5800 before my current card and when playing BF3 at 1600p it played great at low, medium, even in smaller multiplayer maps (no less than 35 FPS), but at Ultra the textures are to large and I would fill my buffer and get less than 4 FPS with no action on screen.

As you have been told VRAM doesn't work that way, the GPUs share processing, but they need to each load all of the texture and compute data.  As for my use case, I am a pretty hardcore graphics guy ans well as a hardware fanatic, but I am also not made of money.  A GTX780 is a fantastic card, but it will be quickly limited (on the high graphics/resolution end) but its smaller 3gb buffer.  ALready a game like Crysis 3 can come close to filling that on its highest settings at 1600p and at multi-moniter gaming you better believe 3gb gets filled up fast.

im pretty sure VRAM doesnt work like that man....

I wasnt trying to argue that the 780 is a better card, the titan still trumps it in multi display, high res and most other things but the fact that nvidia doesnt allow any alterations to the design means that the 780 can be made to show better results in benchmarks and causts significantly less. I think the 780 is a great card for a generation or two but even games like skyrim using mods can max out the vram easily, i mean its still a great card but its uses are somewhat limited by its lack of ram. if you want a card with more vram to sli im pretty sure they will release a 4gb 770 sometime.

No the Titan is still the GK110 king, as well it should be at around 1000$, but I can't justify that much for a GPU.  I like the GTX780 for its Titan features like GPU Boost 2 and crazy GK110 performance, but I wish the 780 had some of its VRAM. I understand 6gb is alot and more towards the Titan's lower-end workstation roots, but it is still the one part of the Titan I wish the 780 had.  The Titan is still the beast of the GPU games, and no sub $1500 GPU can match its VRAM cap and CUDA computing capability.

It will make absolutely no difference in a game that uses less than 2gb of VRAM, BUT if you are playing Crysis 3 or some future high res texture game, you will notice a HUGE drop in FPS if you max out that 2gb buffer as the GPU will be forced to draw on a slower memory (RAM at best) source and will make the game basically unplayable at those settings. For example, I had a high end HD5800 before my current card and when playing BF3 at 1600p it played great at low, medium, even in smaller multiplayer maps (no less than 35 FPS), but at Ultra the textures are to large and I would fill my buffer and get less than 4 FPS with no action on screen.

As you have been told VRAM doesn't work that way, the GPUs share processing, but they need to each load all of the texture and compute data.  As for my use case, I am a pretty hardcore graphics guy ans well as a hardware fanatic, but I am also not made of money.  A GTX780 is a fantastic card, but it will be quickly limited (on the high graphics/resolution end) but its smaller 3gb buffer.  ALready a game like Crysis 3 can come close to filling that on its highest settings at 1600p and at multi-moniter gaming you better believe 3gb gets filled up fast.

Dude, thanks! Seriously just saved my life  :rolleyes:

This morning I woke up feeling like it would be a great day to buy 2x 2gb 770's and have them delivered by Friday in time for some weekend geekage.

I'm glad I was patient enough to wait for some replies on this thread. Made me change my mind and now I am spending $80 more than I had planned but getting 2x 4gb 770's instead :)

I'm still on time for the 2nd day SuperSaver Friday delivery, Time to hit that order button  B)

Dude, I really don't mean to offend you, but do some research before you spend that much money. There aren't any 4gb 780, nor will there ever be. It is impossible. A 780 has a 384 bit bus. You can't have 4gbs with a 384 bit bus. And you won't see any improvement more gram at ALL

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

Dude, I really don't mean to offend you, but do some research before you spend that much money. There aren't any 4gb 780, nor will there ever be. It is impossible. A 780 has a 384 bit bus. You can't have 4gbs with a 384 bit bus. And you won't see any improvement more gram at ALL

He's talking about the GTX 770 though - there are 4GB versions available of that card.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

Here is a good example of 770sli paired with good example of what happens when you run out of vram (take a look at the triple 1080p):

farcry3.jpg

And here is full review:

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/2224/6/

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

Here is a good example of 770sli paired with good example of what happens when you run out of vram (take a look at the triple 1080p):

farcry3.jpg

And here is full review:

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/2224/6/

Where's the 4GB version of the 770s SLI? In reality no one would run 3 1080p with 2GB cards in SLI...