Noctua, are they REALLY doing it right?

VAITO

Asking people what are their favourite silent/performance optimised fan and 9/10 times you will hear Noctua's name.

But are they really doing it right? silent and performance wise yes they are without a doubt doing it right BUT the lack of choice is a problem.

Not everyone is a fan of the colour scheme of Noctua fans or maybe they are but it does not go with the your build?

the question is are Noctua really doing it right or are they losing out a lot of potential income by only having the one choice of colour scheme?

What's your opinion?

noctua_a_series_fans.jpg

#LESBOBRICKS

They are losing a lot of costumers with that hideous color scheme for sure. There is no denying that.

It doesn't really fit with any color scheme.

| GPU: GT 650M | CPU: i5-3210M | Excuse my language, sometimes I can be pretty vulgar.

They are losing a lot of costumers with that hideous color scheme for sure. There is no denying that.

It doesn't really fit with any color scheme.

It fits with Sabertooth colour scheme but that is the only one I can think of.

#LESBOBRICKS

They'll have black fans in the future, but even they have brown on those rubbery things :(

Yea seriously, what is wrong with them? Does it HAVE to have a brown part? Like really? Can't they just release it all black?

| GPU: GT 650M | CPU: i5-3210M | Excuse my language, sometimes I can be pretty vulgar.

Love the fans and colour. I have them in the top of my 600t case, so they are partially hidden. But looks very nice through the grill.

CPU: Intel 2700k (4.7) MOBO: Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE GPU: Sapphire Vapor-X R9 290X RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengence (1866) CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Storage: 256GB Samsung 830 Pro SSD (Boot), 64GB Crucial M4 (SSD Cache), 1TB WD Black Cavier, 2TB Hitachi, 2.5TB Buffalo Sound Card: Xonar Essence STX Case: Corsair Graphite 600t w/ full acrylic side PSU: Corsair HX750 (individually sleeved) 
Peripherals: Filco Keyboard (Brown) Razer Deathadder, Sennheiser HD595, Zalman ZM-MIC1, Steelseries Qck Mass mousepad.
Pics of my Rig

They'll have black fans in the future, but even they are brown on those rubbery things :(

noctua_industrial_fans.jpg

Yea, but they look like they come off easy and I can see some retailer bringing out rubber edges for these but of course marketing them different

#LESBOBRICKS

Some of you people clearly never had Noctua fans, some say "yeah there ugly and good at low rpm, and bad at high rpm" come on guys, try them first before saying, they are great at every rpm possible, you can't hear them at max rpm, and they still ship em with a low noise adapter but they're useless since they're so quiet.

And personnaly, I love the color since brown is my favorite color.

VIDEO GAMES                                  Max Power Build Log

They'll have black fans in the future, but even they are brown on those rubbery things :(

Just take them off. 

XYPHER AMD FX8350 @ 4.6Ghz ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD RADEON HD 7970 @ 1140Mhz 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE 1600Mhz OCZ VERTEX 3 240GB SSD Corsair H100i 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4 CORSAIR K90 MADCATZ RAT 3 iiyama ProLite B2480HS 24"

But they are for "industrial use" and is going to cost more.

You wanna see my pile of NF-F12's?

They aren't that quiet at max RPM.

Is it the actual motor? Or the air being moved? There is a difference.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

You wanna see my pile of NF-F12's?

They aren't that quiet at max RPM.

They probably have issues then.

VIDEO GAMES                                  Max Power Build Log

I want to pick me up one of those black fans. When are they coming out?

Cpu: Intel core i5 4570 gpu: gtx 770 case: cm storm enforcer psu: xfx pro 550w motherboard: asus b85m-g ssd: samsung 120gb hdd: wd caviar blue 1tb ram: kingston hyperx blu 8gb 1600mhz mouse: razer deathadder monitor: some decent samsung 19" keyboard: CM Storm TK Blue

I think that despite the fact, that many people don't like the brown colour scheme, it's a great marketing position for noctua to have this "weird" colours.

If you see a system with brown colours you know they have noctua fans in there. Furthermore Noctua can easily say: "Our fans are so good, we don't have to bother making "nice" colors and people are still going to buy them".

So all in all in think they might lose some customers, but the recognizability of those fans is a much bigger value for a niche company like Noctua.

• Primary PC: i7-3770K@4,6GHz | Thermalright Macho | ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance@1866MHz | 2x Gigabyte 660ti 3GB@1130MHz | 256 GB Samsung 840 | WD Black 1TB | BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 650W | Zalman Z11
  • Secondary PC: i7-860@3,1GHz | Scythe Katana 3 | ASUS Maximus III Formula P55 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | 2x Zotac GTX 280@650MHz | WD Velociraptor 500GB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 750W | Coolermaster Cosmos S

They definitely need to be taking what the costumers are saying into consideration when it comes to the color of these things, even black and brown doesn't look good, There fans are already expensive so I am sure changing the color scheme shouldn't be all that bad...

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

awww. look at the little, babby Noctua.. Who wouldn't want to show that one off?

they're doin it right

I'm excited for the black noctuas, brown & black looks sharp.

'they are great at low rpm'

Is not an irrelevant point, many fans will tick or make other annoying motor noises at lower rpm's and some fans won’t even start.

If you look at a chart showing the sound in decibels of different fans the Noctuas may appear less exceptional than what people rave about them; but what that chart does not display is the type of noise emitted by those fans. The low hum of the Noctua fans is much more tolerable to most people than technically quitter but more high pitched noise that some other quiet fans make.

Case: Corsair C70 GunMetalBlack, CPU: Intel 3570k, Mobo: Asus p8z77-v lx, CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 2, RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz lp, Video Card: Asus HD7950 DC2 Top V2, SSD: Samsung 840 pro, HDD: one Seagate 2TB Barracuda, PSU: BeQuiet! Dark Power pro 10 650w, Monitor: Dell UltraSharp u2412m, Keyboard: CoolerMaster QuickFire tk (Brown Switches), Mouse: Steelseries Sensei raw, Sennheiser HD 558

Personally i wouldn't buy noctuas because of the color but i would buy them if i was water cooling and could hide them behind a rad  

My build: Cpu: (AMD Ryzen 7 1700) Heatsink: (Deepcool Captain 240 rgb) GPU: (Zotac AMP! GTX 1060 6gb) Ram: (Corsair LPX 8Gb DDR4 2400) Mobo: ( Gigabyte AX370 Gaming K&) Case: (NZXT Phantom 410 Gunmetal) PSU: (Lepa B550 550w) OS:  (Windows 10

Any good fan won't tick but, that isn't just a Noctua trait.

Also my opinion isn't based off of charts as I'm well aware the type of noise is also a big factor, Rather that I have had alot of experience using alot of different types of fans, in particular the NF-F12's which have been in a great number of my rigs and builds I have done at work, and at a high rpm they don't sound as good as other fans on the market. I'm not by any means saying they are terrible, or even bad, Just that they aren't as amazing as what they are made out to be.

Soz for talking down to you like that. You very probably have allot more experience in the fan department than I do.

Case: Corsair C70 GunMetalBlack, CPU: Intel 3570k, Mobo: Asus p8z77-v lx, CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 2, RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz lp, Video Card: Asus HD7950 DC2 Top V2, SSD: Samsung 840 pro, HDD: one Seagate 2TB Barracuda, PSU: BeQuiet! Dark Power pro 10 650w, Monitor: Dell UltraSharp u2412m, Keyboard: CoolerMaster QuickFire tk (Brown Switches), Mouse: Steelseries Sensei raw, Sennheiser HD 558

I think that despite the fact, that many people don't like the brown colour scheme, it's a great marketing position for noctua to have this "weird" colours.

If you see a system with brown colours you know they have noctua fans in there. Furthermore Noctua can easily say: "Our fans are so good, we don't have to bother making "nice" colors and people are still going to buy them".

So all in all in think they might lose some customers, but the recognizability of those fans is a much bigger value for a niche company like Noctua.

Pretty much this, whilst they may lose out on potential customers with that revolting(For me) colour scheme, that fact that they are coloured as such is a great marketing tool as they're instantly recognizable.

It also creates this sort of 'branding' where professional performance-over-all builders will use it despite the colour making their fans a type of 'a notch above all' product.

Still would've preferred having black or white fans though ._.

Noctua has made a name for themselves, they can keep their brown fans out but they need to release some more "consumer-friendly" fans for us OCD freaks that have a color theme ^_^

i5 4670k | Sapphire 7950 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB | G.Skill Ripjaw X Series 8GB

PB238Q | Steelseries Sensei | Ducky DK9087 | Qck Heavy

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/44902-from-imac-to-my-own-creation/

Not everyone is a fan of the colour scheme of Noctua fans...

I see what you did there. ;)

I get the impression Noctua are not the most consumer-focused company. You can take that as being good or bad, but I think it's good for what they're doing - they focus themselves completely on making really good, silent fans. It'd be awesome if they'd start producing them in more varied colours with more choice for the consumer, but I don't mind it so much really.

And as Linus said before, the unusual colour palette does make them... recognisable, to say the least. Brand differentiation - after all, Razer does the same thing with their products. Black and more-vibrant-than-the-sun-green.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff