WAY TO MEASURE SPEED OF MY HARD DRIVE

Codymm03

Is there a way using a software that can measure the speed of my HDD.

you mean how fast it spins or how fast its able to deal with data ?

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

Crystalmark

(I guess you mean in MB/s and not rpm??)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

you mean how fast it spins or how fast its able to deal with data ?

second one

CrystalDiskMark is probably what you're looking for or HD Tune but that's paid(but does have a free trial).

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Put it inside a potato. BTW what happened to the build off? Voting was supposed to start wasn't it? 

Crystaldiskmark like pretty much everyone says or will say.

It's probably going to be around 130 read, 33 write in sequentials.

why

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

why

Because mechanical hard drive. Because latencies, because caching. Most mechanical hard drives max out at this speed if they are normal 7200rpm drives.

Because mechanical hard drive. Because latencies, because caching. Most mechanical hard drives max out at this speed if they are normal 7200rpm drives.

I decided to bench my WD Blue 1TB drive. Running W10.

post-7355-0-60719300-1440252080.jpg

post-7355-0-60719300-1440252080.jpg

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

My usb hdd has higher writes than 33. Never heard that one before, there you go:

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

odd. Never happens with mine. never mind.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
CrystalDiskMark 4.0.3 x64 © 2007-2015 hiyohiyo
                           Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
* MB/s = 1,000,000 bytes/s [sATA/600 = 600,000,000 bytes/s]
* KB = 1000 bytes, KiB = 1024 bytes

Sequential Read (Q= 32,T= 1) :   184.763 MB/s
  Sequential Write (Q= 32,T= 1) :   179.682 MB/s
  Random Read 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) :     1.778 MB/s [   434.1 IOPS]
 Random Write 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) :     1.756 MB/s [   428.7 IOPS]
         Sequential Read (T= 1) :   183.509 MB/s
        Sequential Write (T= 1) :   180.572 MB/s
   Random Read 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) :     0.691 MB/s [   168.7 IOPS]
  Random Write 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) :     0.887 MB/s [   216.6 IOPS]

Test : 1024 MiB [E: 25.9% (481.9/1863.0 GiB)] (x1)
  Date : 2015/08/22 22:17:10

Here's mine!
Toshiba 2tb HDD!

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Monitors: Dell U2414H 

Crystaldiskmark like pretty much everyone says or will say.

I'd love to know the drive you're buying so I can avoid them. 130MB/s is something I'd expect from a drive that's been filled up quite a bit tbh, that's the only time I've a 7k drive do 130MB/s. 33MB/s for the writes?, I'd expect that from a flash drive or maybe even a high end SD card. Even a 5k drive should be doing above 33MB/s, I'd assume my drive was on its last legs if it was doing 33MB/s in sequential tests.

This is what my HDDs are putting out:

zIA5C.jpg

That MD drive is quite the drive when it comes to sequential speeds, out the box it managed this:

SacI4.jpg

Is there a way using a software that can measure the speed of my HDD.

Hey there Codymm03,

For transfer speeds I would recommend doing a benchmark and then compare the numbers to the ones in the drive's spec sheet to see if it's working properly or not. For the RPM I would simply check the drive's specs by its brand and model model. If you provide the drive's brand and model maybe we can give yo a bit more info on the drive. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey there Codymm03,

For transfer speeds I would recommend doing a benchmark and then compare the numbers to the ones in the drive's spec sheet to see if it's working properly or not. For the RPM I would simply check the drive's specs by its brand and model model. If you provide the drive's brand and model maybe we can give yo a bit more info on the drive. :)

Captain_WD.

He wasn't asking to check the health of his HDD, he was asking for program to find out his HDD's speeds.

He wasn't asking to check the health of his HDD, he was asking for program to find out his HDD's speeds.

Benchmarking shows the maximum transfer speeds of a certain drive, which is different from doing a diagnostic test for the S.M.A.R.T. status. Each drive's spec sheet shows the transfer speeds that a drive is capable as well as rpm and other useful info about the drive's performance. If OP asks about this, they either haven't checked the spec sheet or the results differ which means they would like to double check if the drive is functioning properly. 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Benchmarking shows the maximum transfer speeds of a certain drive, which is different from doing a diagnostic test for the S.M.A.R.T. status. Each drive's spec sheet shows the transfer speeds that a drive is capable as well as rpm and other useful info about the drive's performance. If OP asks about this, they either haven't checked the spec sheet or the results differ which means they would like to double check if the drive is functioning properly. 

Captain_WD.

whoops misread the post :P

Its Fine Now