How to convice someone Vista is bad?

josh1073

So for years my gran has been using vista on her laptop as we all know vista is bad, she will come and say the internet is not working (it is) to go downstairs to find her pc is working but vista is just crashing programs. I have told her she needs to move to 7 because vista is just crap and i will do it for her for free to which i get the response "but it does not normally do this" which again i know to be bs as she often sits there saying "come on" to her computer.

So how do you convince someone to upgrade from vista who is not tech savvy?

You don't convince them. You just move them to other OS without them even knowing it.

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

upgrade it anyway then skin it to look like vista= win xD 

Specs 

CPU-Intel I7 4790K- @ 4.5Ghz / Mobo - Asus Maximus Hero VII / GPU - GTX 980 @ 1592MHz / RAM - 16Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro @ 2400Mhz / Cooler - Corsair H105 / SSD - Samsung 250gb 840 EVO / HDD - 2x 2tb Seagate/3x 3tb Seagate / PSU - Corsair RM1000 / Keyboard - Corsair K70 / Mouse - Corsair M65 / Case - Custom Glass panel Corsair Obsidian 750D -  Still saving for upgrades =)

Am I the only person who never really had problems with Vista?

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

Tell her they made viruses which can blow up your PC? But only on Vista? :P

I'm joking, but you could try something like that.

But I would recommend Windows 8 or 8.1 over 7.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Get her to use a computer already running a newer OS for a bit and see what she thinks of it. I believe first hand experience is the best way - but don't just upgrade her PC against her wishes as stubbornness is a killer.

duc sequere aut de via decede

CPU: i7 6800K | Mobo: MSI X99 Gaming Pro Carbon | GPU: SLI EVGA 980 Ti Hydro Copper | PSU: EVGA 1000P2 | Memory: 64 DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum | Storage: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 & Samsung 850 Evo 1TB| Case: Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 | Display: Predator X34 & Dell U2715H | Cooling: Custom Loop

Custom hard line watercooled Fractal Node 202 ITX build log

Well, if the person wants to stick with it 

Don't force them as it's their choice

But if you want to do it....

I would try showing her some features that would help her do everyday tasks or show her videos about how upgrading would benefit 

So for years my gran has been using vista on her laptop as we all know vista is bad, she will come and say the internet is not working (it is) to go downstairs to find her pc is working but vista is just crashing programs. I have told her she needs to move to 7 because vista is just crap and i will do it for her for free to which i get the response "but it does not normally do this" which again i know to be bs as she often sits there saying "come on" to her computer.

Vista is not bad.

Vista is just different form the rest of Windows.

You don't convince them. You just move them to other OS without them even knowing it.

Thats exactly what I did to my mom and her windows 8 laptop  :D

- i7-2600k @ 4.7GHz - MSI 1070 8GB Gaming X - ASUS Maximus V Formula AC3 Edition - 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws @ 1600Mhz - Corsair RM1000 - 1TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD + 2TB 7200 HDD + 2x240GB M500 RAID 0 - Corsair 750D - Samsung PX2370 & ASUS ROG SWIFT -

Yep.

I haven't had any big problems with Vista. O.o

My parents are still using XP.

Me either

Linus loved it too :P

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

just upgrade it.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

I never had any problems with Vista, but Vista is no longer supported (main support) so that should be your main argument for upgrading.

Lord of Helium.

Tell her to deal with it herself if she won't accept your suggestions. Or as others said, just do it without asking.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Microsoft BOB all the way. Anyway, you should just do it without her knowing, she will most likely not notice it and if she does, just say that it was a update or something. Or say that it was a virus.

Technology Entertainment Creativity

Technology Electricity Control

Technology Electronics Computers

I never had any problems with Vista, but Vista is no longer supported (main support) so that should be your main argument for upgrading.

Neither is Windows 7. It's really not a relevant argument.

Vista is gr8 m8 r8 8/8 :P

Core2 Quad Q9400 @ 3.00GHz ✦  8GB Corsair RAM ✦Asus P5G41Tm - Lx3 ✦ Sapphire R9 270 Dual-X ✦ WD Caviar Green 640 GB ✦ Seagate Barracuda 160GB ✦ Fractal Design Define R5 ✦ 1Life ps:jet 700W ✦  

Lenovo Y520 - GTX1050Ti - i77700k - 250GB Samsung M.2 NVME SSD  :D 

change her desktop background to this; then tell her the only way to fix it is to get rid of vista.

desktop-background.jpg

[spoiler=REDWING]  REDWING   | Custom Hard Line Water Cooling Loop   |   Intel i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz   |   Asus Maximus VII Ranger   |   Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3-2400 2x8GB   |   2 x Gigabyte GTX970 G1 Gaming (SLI)   |   Corsair AX860i   |   Samsung 850 Pro 512GB   |   Corsair Obsidian 750D   |   Corsair K95 RGB & M65 RGB   |   Samsung SyncMaster S27B370

Project Redwing Build Log

[spoiler=ZedNAS] 'ZedNAS' Home NAS Build   |   Intel Xeon E3 1231 v3   |   ASRock Rack E3C224D4I   |   Kingston KVR16E11/8I 2x8GB   |   Corsair HX750   |   6 x HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB 7200RPM HDD   |   Fractal Design Node 304 mITX Black   |   FreeNAS w/ PleX   |   ZFS Raid-Z2 (16TB Effective)   |

Just upgrade it straight to windows 10, they won't know the difference, if they do tell them you removed a virus that made it look like that. 

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

change her desktop background to this; then tell her the only way to fix it is to get rid of vista.

desktop-background.jpg

i used an error message generator and set it as my dads wallpaper. It took him a while