Do cheap PSU's really damage other components, and why?

DannyRyu

I've always heard that cheap PSU's will damage other components when they die, but how and why?

Thanks

@DannyRyu Power surges because of shoddy build quality.

Also, if you have a cheap PSU and is konks out (breaks) it could release a power surge.

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

As above they offer no power surge protection or due to bad capacitors they will surge your hardware. Another thing to think about is that if its built on the cheap it wont be able to modulate the wattage/amps effectively so you will be getting 'dirty' power being fed to devices and this will damage equipment over time or perhaps cause odd issues like Power off or BSOD. Its always best to get a good quality 80+ rated PSU so you know the insides are of some quality and it is FFP.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

'dirty' power being fed to devices and this will damage equipment over time

That dirty power is ripple. You can read it in PSU reviews.

As far as power phases go, the affect will lower with lower voltage on cpu/gpu. Haswell can so have 4, its very low power.

Phases just make power delivered to your cpu more even.

Don't cheap out on equipment that can catch your house on fire seems like good advice for life.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Just to add, Luke did a guide on which PSU to get when overclocking.

They tested a cheap PSU (450W) and after putting it in a system with a R7 265 it broke down and never started again...

Desktop: Intel i9-10850K (R9 3900X died 😢 )| MSI Z490 Tomahawk | RTX 2080 (borrowed from work) - MSI GTX 1080 | 64GB 3600MHz CL16 memory | Corsair H100i (NF-F12 fans) | Samsung 970 EVO 512GB | Intel 665p 2TB | Samsung 830 256GB| 3TB HDD | Corsair 450D | Corsair RM550x | MG279Q

Laptop: Surface Pro 7 (i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD)

Console: PlayStation 4 Pro

https://youtu.be/MCuKM6Ux4B4?t=3m40s

this should be good explaination (3:40 till the end of the video)

Hey bro i like yo *vomits on you*

SpOOkY  - Intel Core i7 4820K - Sapphire Radeon HD 7970GHZ Toxic Edition 6GB - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz - Gigabyte X79-UD3 - EVGA Supernova G2 850W

My GrApHiCs DeSiGn TeAcHeR Is GoInG To bE sO MaD

Cheap PSUs have no surge protection, shitty capacitors, can't properly output the full rated wattage and have the possibility to catch on fire and explode. Do the right thing. Buy a good PSU and prevent a cheap PSU from taking your life and your computer with it.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

yeah, The thing is I already have a cheap PSU, and I'm going to get a proper one after I get my paycheck in a couple of days. Thanks :)

yeah, The thing is I already have a cheap PSU, and I'm going to get a proper one after I get my paycheck in a couple of days. Thanks :)

Psst check out my PSU whitelist in my sig ;)

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

• 5 years later...

Yes! a cheap (I'm talking about Cooler Master RS series) PSU can damage your other hardware like in my case when my PSU died it took my Motherboard and SSD with him(Both were shorted in the 5v section)... When I investigate, I found that a Toroidal transformer having both 12v and 5v windings in it got damaged and get shorted then the 5v rail got a 12v spike in it that damaged other components...

On 8/21/2015 at 5:26 AM, DannyRyu said:

I've always heard that cheap PSU's will damage other components when they die, but how and why?

Thanks

I feel like I answer this question ever day.

The answer is:  Yes.  Cheap power supplies destroying computer hardware over long term while the PSU appears to be "operating normally" is the whole reason I'm in the position I'm in today and not running a bicycle shop on the beach in Florida.

-Topic Locked-

Please do not revive old threads.  

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25