What have you done (Tech Related) today?

Joshndroid

swapped power supplies in both my brother's and friend's pc's and ghetto mounted a fan in my friend's pc ICZjHq5.jpg

CPU- i7 5960x MOTHERBOARD- Asus Rampage V extreme RAM- 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum ddr4 2800mhz GPU-  2X EVGA GTX 980 SC in SLI PSU- Corsair ax860 CASE- Corsair Obsidian 750d COOLING- EK cpu+dual gpu custom loop (ek supremacy evo, dual gtx 980 copper/acetal waterblocks) MOUSE- Logitech g502 proteus core KEYBOARD- Ducky shine 3 cherry mx blue switches and blue LED MONITOR- Samsung u28d590d UHD  STORAGE -  120 gb samsung 850 evo ssd, 960 gb ocz trion ssd OS- Windows 10 pro http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jtP8GX

really should pick one up, maybe a pi2 i think, they are too good and cheap enough not to waste some money on. you've confirmed it.

The Pi2 is even more powerful than mine - with 4 cores @900MHz (I have the single-core B+ model, overclocked from 700MHz to 932MHz). You'll most likely get higher speeds out of yours.

If you can, before you get your Pi, start messing around with the Bash command line, like mounting/unmounting drives, as well as moving around files, and editing files with the built-in text editor. The desktop environment is a nice addition but I'd say the really important stuff is just how capable the small machine is. I even managed to setup a video camera server on it, with a PHP proxy so I can use external authentication for it.

I'm here to help if you decide to get one :D

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

I've done the same thing that I've done every day for years now... I have written some code.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Hooked up a hard drive, recorded videos

PC is Intel Core i5 6400, GIgabyte H170 Gaming 3, Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x4GB 2400Mhz ,Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB, WD Blue 1TB, NZXT S340, ASUS Geforce GTX 960. Fractal Design Tesla R2 650W. http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/793XNG. Graphics card choices don't always have to be dictated on performance. If you want the game stream and power consumption of the GTX 970 get that. If you want raw performance of the R9 390 get that. In the end we are all gamers, so what if your buddy gets an extra 5 fps? 

The Pi2 is even more powerful than mine - with 4 cores @900MHz (I have the single-core B+ model, overclocked from 700MHz to 932MHz). You'll most likely get higher speeds out of yours.

If you can, before you get your Pi, start messing around with the Bash command line, like mounting/unmounting drives, as well as moving around files, and editing files with the built-in text editor. The desktop environment is a nice addition but I'd say the really important stuff is just how capable the small machine is. I even managed to setup a video camera server on it, with a PHP proxy so I can use external authentication for it.

I'm here to help if you decide to get one :D

I have decided, mind you have had a couple beers watching us Aussies get destroyed in the Bledisloe =[, that i am going to get a pi2 and install one of the many linux distros on it. Thankfully am not to bad at bash script so will be able to get a few things done. Overclocking sounds good, was it a factory or a personal overclock?

I've done the same thing that I've done every day for years now... I have written some code.

code for? as thread indicates im interested in a little specifics as im sure other on the forum are? are you a developer for something out in the wild?

I have decided, mind you have had a couple beers watching us Aussies get destroyed in the Bledisloe =[, that i am going to get a pi2 and install one of the many linux distros on it. Thankfully am not to bad at bash script so will be able to get a few things done. Overclocking sounds good, was it a factory or a personal overclock?

Personal overclock ^_^. I used the desktop environment to test the stability of it afterwards. If an overclock fails, the screen will freeze. Keep an eye on the temps too, anything over 50 degrees and you should probably get a heatsink wink.png

WermcZO.png

GPU has 128MB assigned to it (I'll change that shortly, I only had it up to 128MB to test Minecraft Pi)

GPU @ 320MHz

RAM @ 460MHz

CPU @ 932Mhz

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

Threw some new TV shows in my Plex server. Yay for me!

i5 4690K | Asus Ranger VII | 8GB HyperX Fury | Asus GTX 780 | NZXT H440 | Samsung 850 Evo | Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM 750W | Corsair H105 

E3-1246 v3 | Asus Gryphon Z97 | 8GB HyperX Fury | MSI GTX 970 | Enthoo Evolv mATX | Samsung 840 Evo | WD Red | EVGA SuperNova GS 650W | NZXT Kracken x41 

Rendered this to check that some new parts didn't look shit. Also attempted Zbrush sculpting of a character for a 'Trek animation I'm working on. Both efforts are going rather poorly.

9RMCE9a.jpg

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

snip

mate will definitely ask some further questions, just pricing one up now, probably going to bite the bullet on a full kit (device/wifi/sdcard/hdmi/case/charger/cable/heatsinks = 90$ AUS incl shipping), seems to be cheaper than getting the few pieces i consider necessary/interesting (device/case/wifi = still around 90$ incl shipping). 

Threw some new TV shows in my Plex server. Yay for me!

never really could get into plex. I use Kodi

Rendered this to check that some new parts didn't look shit. Also attempted Zbrush sculpting of a character for a 'Trek animation I'm working on. Both efforts are going rather poorly.

better than i could create in photoshop hahah, i'm only alright at affects to a real photo. If it came to designs from a clean canvas i would do about the same as i could in paint lol

never really could get into plex. I use Kodi

I really like Plex- never even thought about exploring other options. 

i5 4690K | Asus Ranger VII | 8GB HyperX Fury | Asus GTX 780 | NZXT H440 | Samsung 850 Evo | Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM 750W | Corsair H105 

E3-1246 v3 | Asus Gryphon Z97 | 8GB HyperX Fury | MSI GTX 970 | Enthoo Evolv mATX | Samsung 840 Evo | WD Red | EVGA SuperNova GS 650W | NZXT Kracken x41 

snip

purchased one of the kits i mentioned, same but has an extra usb ir remote (maybe repurpose for media pc so worth it) with express post, cant wait for it to come.

code for? as thread indicates im interested in a little specifics as im sure other on the forum are? are you a developer for something out in the wild?

Oh sorry...

G2ygSAc.jpg

Being serious now then  :lol: I am a Software Engineer.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Switched my fan placement in my PC case to feed more air into my CPU cooler. So far so good.

I like this thread.

For the past month? or so I've been building a website in Drupal and an associated forum in phpbb. *sigh*. I also built a NAS two months ago, but only got around to ordering the Hard Drives yesterday. 

Your own website? or for work related purposes?

snip

Being serious now then  :lol: I am a Software Engineer.

i still wish i did I.T./programming at university instead of my pointless second degree i did. I did have it listed within my university preferences but i got my first preference so took it. There is only so much i can learn on my own these days.

Switched my fan placement in my PC case to feed more air into my CPU cooler. So far so good.

You got a pic of your setup before or after? what fans do you have?

you going a 2 pronged approach with a fan and a new secondary HDD i hope. New HDD shouldn't be too expensive hopefully you can pick one up soon.

My computer is over cooled tbh and won't cost much to fix.

And yeah, at least a backup internal. Its $100 to get another WD Blue. Yeah NZD rocks.... >.<

PC: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Gigabyte X570 UD Corsair Vengence 32gb 3200MHZ Gigabyte RTX 2070 Intel 512gb boot / Seagate 2tb spinner Windows 10 Corsair 4000D black

Fyi i am Autistic (Aspergers) so sorry for any social mistakes (im mostly okay) If you want to learn more, Just ask! 

My computer is over cooled tbh and won't cost much to fix.
And yeah, at least a backup internal. Its $100 to get another WD Blue. Yeah NZD rocks.... >.<

isn't your dollar better than ours (AUS$) against the US at the moment? 

I cleaned the dust out of an old laptop , fixed a display (sorta, long story short it needs a new ribbon cable) then went shopping for a new cpu (didn't buy anything , couldn't find a good deal on x99 parts ;-;)

i still wish i did I.T./programming at university instead of my pointless second degree i did. I did have it listed within my university preferences but i got my first preference so took it. There is only so much i can learn on my own these days.

What was it and where? Certainly in the UK these days the costs associated with a second degree run to ~30K - around the figure needed for a deposit on a decent house.

It's quite a lot to place that kind of decision on a young person.

What was it and where? Certainly in the UK these days the costs associated with a second degree run to ~30K - around the figure needed for a deposit on a decent house.

It's quite a lot to place that kind of decision on a young person.

criminology and it was in australia, essentially used it as another line on my papers as i hated it the whole but you get to a point where you cant justify changing to something else and wasting time/money so i finished it. Fortunately ours university fees are far cheaper than yours and subsidized by the government depending on subjects so ye

Made a bunch of icons in photoshop, tried to fix a handheld bug zapper and failed....but I rebounded again just now...Just turned on a deskfan and succeeded.

For a local club

Don't spoil us with detail:P

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.