What have you done (Tech Related) today?

Joshndroid

Today setup Ubuntu mate on my extra SD card for rasp pi 2, runs fairly well for GUI based distro. Fixed up my bash script for android building still have an issue remaining but getting throw them. Updated all my android devices with self built ROMs. Used a old camping air mattress pump to clean out dust from !media PC and filters (after seeing in Linus moving logs using something very similar to what I have on his servers)

Researched parts for the Custom NAS I'm building.

Set up Sonos on my PC.

Used XP of a few minutes on my old PC to back up some old files.

Engaged God Mod on my PC.

Read up on some tech news on WCCFTech, ExtremeTech and PC and Tech Authority.

Read some Linus Tech posts.

Watched some LTT while waiting for the E-Mail server to get back on-line.
Found and fixed the issue that my 5.1 channel speakers were only running the two inner speakes.

Looked up on some external DAC's and sound-cards.

Set up my friends X-Box to run on his monitor.

Played around with my raspberry pi, think i have settled on raspian as my distro of choice, very lightweight and seems to run fine, debloated it further by removing further useless programs. Looking to set it up as a secondary machine to use while my main computer is running builds.

Looking at debian based distros to potentially run, with hopes of being even more minimal and faster than lubuntu, to get faster android builds also hoping for compatibility with my notebook for my secondary hard drive. My metabox for whatever reason will not run any ubuntu flavour, and i mean none, with constant freezes on live cd/usb. tried many combinations of fixes and just wont work so the secondary hard drive is in a old qosmio notebook with a i7 second gen 1.7ghz mobile and 8gb ram, wow is it slow.

did some surfing trying to find a potential firefox replacement after reading that they are going to be ending support for their old extension structure, stumbled on some x64bit firefox versions such as waterfox and cyberfox. Currently seeing fantastic load times and page rendering on cyberfox (specific package for x64bit intel) currently just set it up and debloated (removed reader/pocket/disabled web rtc) and sync'd usual xmarks/lastpass/noscript, etc.

currently watching the footy, with a beer, about to setup the pi with some git stuff to play with an android kernel

researched monitors , not sure if i wana still go triple 1080p surround or get a single 4k monitor for about 50$ more .-. so many choices lol 

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

researched monitors , not sure if i wana still go triple 1080p surround or get a single 4k monitor for about 50$ more .-. so many choices lol 

i currently have 2 monitors and actually am thinking of picking up a 4k monitor for a triple setup with the 4k being in the middle.

I think you would enjoy the 3 monitors more than the single 4k unless it was an ultra wide monitor

i currently have 2 monitors and actually am thinking of picking up a 4k monitor for a triple setup with the 4k being in the middle.

I think you would enjoy the 3 monitors more than the single 4k unless it was an ultra wide monitor

this what I was thinking as well , my reasoning for triple is cuz I play a lot of sims and racing games ect :P

And it's a touch cheaper

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

Can you get 4k Ultrawide monitors, I've only seen 1440 and 1080 Ultrawides.

Played around with my raspberry pi, think i have settled on raspian as my distro of choice, very lightweight and seems to run fine, debloated it further by removing further useless programs. Looking to set it up as a secondary machine to use while my main computer is running builds.

Looking at debian based distros to potentially run, with hopes of being even more minimal and faster than lubuntu, to get faster android builds also hoping for compatibility with my notebook for my secondary hard drive. My metabox for whatever reason will not run any ubuntu flavour, and i mean none, with constant freezes on live cd/usb. tried many combinations of fixes and just wont work so the secondary hard drive is in a old qosmio notebook with a i7 second gen 1.7ghz mobile and 8gb ram, wow is it slow.

did some surfing trying to find a potential firefox replacement after reading that they are going to be ending support for their old extension structure, stumbled on some x64bit firefox versions such as waterfox and cyberfox. Currently seeing fantastic load times and page rendering on cyberfox (specific package for x64bit intel) currently just set it up and debloated (removed reader/pocket/disabled web rtc) and sync'd usual xmarks/lastpass/noscript, etc.

currently watching the footy, with a beer, about to setup the pi with some git stuff to play with an android kernel

Nicee biggrin.png My favorite linux distro at the moment is Elementary OS, it has a modern look and feel and a decent collection of apps. It doesn't take that long to boot from my USB either. If only Windows was as light as this sleep.png

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

Can you get 4k Ultrawide monitors, I've only seen 1440 and 1080 Ultrawides.

i dont actually think so, i believe you are right.

this what I was thinking as well , my reasoning for triple is cuz I play a lot of sims and racing games ect :P

And it's a touch cheaper

exactly, thats why i want 3 monitors, but considering i have had 2 already for a while i may as well spring for a 4k, probably need sli though

Nicee biggrin.png My favorite linux distro at the moment is Elementary OS, it has a modern look and feel and a decent collection of apps. It doesn't take that long to boot from my USB either. If only Windows was as light as this sleep.png

i find this thing to struggle a little more than i like, while ubuntu is good it is a bit big for this thing. i read up about elementary but it was a little mixed whereas raspbian has had glowing reviews from alot of sources for rpi. I would ideally like something like puppy linux but debian based. i dont want anything that is too heavy as it will be used for a little web browsing/git handling/gediting. so i can use it on my second monitor while my main desktop is running an android build or im watching a steam/etc.

I ghetto rigged a molex connector so my H80 will work and not kill my CPU.

i find this thing to struggle a little more than i like, while ubuntu is good it is a bit big for this thing. i read up about elementary but it was a little mixed whereas raspbian has had glowing reviews from alot of sources for rpi. I would ideally like something like puppy linux but debian based. i dont want anything that is too heavy as it will be used for a little web browsing/git handling/gediting. so i can use it on my second monitor while my main desktop is running an android build or im watching a steam/etc.

At the moment, Raspbian is the most efficient out-of-box experience for the Pi available, besides Kodi (mediacenter os). Most people move to barebones Arch once they've got the hang of Raspbian, though I don't see myself doing that soon. Raspbian is really stable ^_^

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

pulled hdd from old notebook (to retire it again) and installed into newer notebook (hdd itself is about a week old) installed debian on it and rejoiced as due to all the screen lockups i get due to grahics on gui in any other linux distro, i was able to install via essentially commands, so currently re-setting up my second set of android source/build environment. Will need to put in the other 2hdds and the cd drive back in though lol

read up on how to modify a custom android kernel. fixed up a some borked source due to cyanogenmod making a massive/repo naming convenion change and then reverting it about 24 hours later (grrrrrrrr)

Torn my hair out trying to choose a school laptop..

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Today/last night have been working on creating a little custom android kernel. managed to port over a few things like changing cpu voltages, adding in schedulers and trying to get a new govenor to work. dang hard - need to definitely learn more it would seem.

Been trying to get this dam usb dvb-t stick working. Had originally tried the little crappy bundled antenna (i know they almost never work) even went outside to sync, suprise suprise that didnt work. Bought a coax adapter and using the home tv antenna still cant get a signal, maybe need to try a different tv channel scanning program now.

Upgraded my PC, changed the case and GPU.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

finished setting up my tripple displays :D 

Spoiler
Spoiler

went fan overkill on my raspberry pi 2. picked up a 5v fan off ebay.. changed the 3 pin fan to a 2 pin connection and jerry-rigged (hot glue) it to the stock case I got lol runs a few degrees over ambient at idle.

IMG_20150831_190312_zpsd7anxtgz.jpg

IMG_20150831_190332_zps3dfogydl.jpg