What have you done (Tech Related) today?

Joshndroid

Hey all,

I thought i would start a thread topic based on what you have done, specifically relating to tech, today/recently. I see that there are various other threads relating to purchases, etc however I don't see anything relating to enable users to share what they have done tech related day to day. I tried to do a search and there was only a marginal related topic from over a year ago and it was not specifically tech related. So with that in mind i thought i would start my own topic.

Please share anything that you have done tech related today, or recently. It doesn't have to be mind blowing, doesn't have to be technical. Maybe you just learnt how to write your own program, maybe you learnt how to overclock your CPU, maybe today you just completed your first custom loop. You could have just built your first pc, managed to Photoshop a great picture you took, or created your first video. These are just some examples.

I would encourage anyone, where comfortable, to maybe share their achievement not only by posting about it but to provide maybe what point the subject just 'clicked' with you or a picture or link to a video, etc.

I'm very interested to see what people get up to in their spare time relating to tech as I usually am browsing or trying something myself to better my knowledge during my spare time.

The more we all share the more we could potentially help each other to enable each other to attempt something new or get better at something tech related.

I'll obviously start,

As i have said a few times on the forum, I device maintain an android rom for a few devices. That entails me troubleshooting, building, distributing the roms to hosters, forum, etc. This process is very time consuming and any automation i can have greatly improves my ability to get updates out in a timly manner. Last night and today i have been able to create an interactive bash script that I can build for all devices, a combination of device or single devices, check whether the file was created successfully and have a plan in place if it didn't, find the release version within a file and import it into the file name, move the file to a specific location and then upload the file via ftp to my hosting service all being completed via terminal in linux. This allows me to cut maybe 15 or so commands and manual searching, changing by hand, manual uploading with external programs, etc to do it all automatically with about 3 commands. It's not fully completed and tested but at the moment im close to 1000 lines thus far. Now it's not very complicated compared to programming but all in all its the largest thing i have created from scratch.

Second thing I can add is, due to being on a roll sort of thing, I finally properly setup my backup environment for my media usb, via ftp. Using at batch script, appropriate text file and Winscp i can now monitor either my local backup location in my media/backup pc or the local ftp location (external usb attached to router) and sync the files back and forth to keep both locations current. I then (once my initial sync is complete) will further add in my second backup drive into the mix to further have an exact backup of my local hdd so then i have 3 drives with essentially the same data (a original, a backup and a 'external' backup). I will be further adding the script to check for a log file, its modification date, to trigger whether the script shoudl further run on each boot so for example on boot up of my media pc, if the log file was created more than 7 days ago the script will continue and the entire sync/backup process will commence.

Chuck a bunch of ethernet cables into my Amazon cart... Migrating dropbox to my nas

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

Um... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM Wow, a day I did nothing... BESIDES USING PC'S, but as far as tinkering with tech, I touched a fried gpu I has near my desk just now.(XFX R5 230 2GB)

MOTHERBOARD: some Asus motherboard CPU: I3-4130 GPU: Gigabyte(?) GT-1030 RAM: 8GB G.SKILL SNIPER 1600MHZ RAM + 4GB AMD ram PSU: Corsair CX450 CASE: Corsair Spec-03 OS: Win 10 64 bit Keyboard: Logitech G510s Mouse: Corsair G300s Camera: Canon EOS Rebel T5
I like outdoor warning sirens. Ask me anything about them.

I turned on my laptop xD

not exactly what i had in mind however in some of my states, turning the computer on is an accomplishment in itself ;)

Chuck a bunch of ethernet cables into my Amazon cart... Migrating dropbox to my nas

why did you decide to ditch drop box? not enough storage? dont like being online for backups? dont trust online? (in other words, care to share more? as i indicated im interested lol)

my day started 2 hours ago
I was writing my daily log for friday in a google doc while listening to pandora

and today will be playing witcher II so I can play witcher III...and I might have to make something in maya

Rolled back my nvidia drivers because it didn't stretch my cs:go anymore :(

Spoiler

CPU: i7-5820k @ 4.4GHz Motherboard: Asus X99 Strix  Graphics Card: Gigabyte 980Ti G1 Gaming Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 24GB (3x 8GB) Hard Drive: 1TB WD Green SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 250GB CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W Case: Corsair 400c Mouse: Logitech G502 Keyboard: Asus Strix (mx reds)  Monitor: BenQ XL2730Z 1440p@144hz OS: Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit Laptops: Lenovo Y50-70: i7-4720HQ - 16GB RAM - 256GB SSD - GTX 960m 4GB - MacBook Pro (Early 2016) 2,0GHz i5 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD Phone: iPhone 7+

Play alot of Metal Gear....must finish it all before mgs5...

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

found an old small fan and made it run of usb power.

I'm not a native English speaker.
Excuse me for any possible grammar/spelling mistakes

Explained to my boss what 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz WiFi is. And when I got home I swapped a power supply for friends rig and stress tested that very PC.

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

why did you decide to ditch drop box? not enough storage? dont like being online for backups? dont trust online? (in other words, care to share more? as i indicated im interested lol)

NSA+Dropbox+PRISM program (http://www.zdnet.com/article/snowden-wannabe-prism-partner-dropbox-is-hostile-to-privacy/) as well as my phone not being large enough to store my music collection and pictures. Also need quick access to archives of old files which I wouldn't want to store on Dropbox anytime soon, as well as needing to share private files with various friends. Even though Dropbox user-encrypts content, I'd rather have my own content encrypted at my house accessible through my own system (Will be building a web interface for it, and various mechanisms to keep out malicious users)

Speedtests

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

CPU             i5-4430S

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

Quotes of Fame

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

NSA+Dropbox+PRISM program (http://www.zdnet.com/article/snowden-wannabe-prism-partner-dropbox-is-hostile-to-privacy/) as well as my phone not being large enough to store my music collection and pictures. Also need quick access to archives of old files which I wouldn't want to store on Dropbox anytime soon, as well as needing to share private files with various friends. Even though Dropbox user-encrypts content, I'd rather have my own content encrypted at my house accessible through my own system (Will be building a web interface for it, and various mechanisms to keep out malicious users)

sounds reasonable and actually kind of cool. Is your 'nas' a built little pc with something like freenas or you pick up a reay bought solution?

i originally had a d-link 320L but got sick of it being so buggy to connect to so the 1tb external usb to the router then setup as a ftp and media server works far better for me, Ideally i would like to build a mini freenas pc (maybe when i get my own house) lol.

Moved my old HDD to my PC and began coying all files over to new WD Black edition HDD.

Updated my friends PC to Windows 10.

Used Sony Vegas Pro Production Suite to edit a video.

Finally got round to Overclocking my GPU. Yep Haven't done that yet.

Read some WCCFTech posts.

fixed the the stuck pixels on my monitor.

sounds reasonable and actually kind of cool. Is your 'nas' a built little pc with something like freenas or you pick up a reay bought solution?

i originally had a d-link 320L but got sick of it being so buggy to connect to so the 1tb external usb to the router then setup as a ftp and media server works far better for me, Ideally i would like to build a mini freenas pc (maybe when i get my own house) lol.

At the moment I'm using a Raspberry Pi (which currently doubles as my webserver). In the near future though I'll be moving the NAS to an old netbook, and the Pi will act as a web proxy to the NAS. I haven't decided what OS I'll be using on it though, I'm split between Windows 7, Server 2012, FreeNAS and Debian Linux. I might try all four and see which ones get the highest throughput.

My router has a USB 2.0 port on the back, but the drive read speed is absolutely horrid at 2MB/s, whereas my laptop's USB 2.0 reads the same drive at 15MB/s. I get faster read speeds over the internet (6MB/s) than my router gets from its USB port wacko.png

Speedtests

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

CPU             i5-4430S

Spoiler

Type            Server

Quotes of Fame

Designed some graphics, looked at power supplies for tiddles and wondered what kind of fan should replace the faulty fan that i have in her right now.

Prayed that my only HD that has no backups.....keeps going till i get another HD to backup to.

O.o

PC: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Gigabyte X570 UD Corsair Vengence 32gb 3200MHZ Gigabyte RTX 2070 Intel 512gb boot / Seagate 2tb spinner Windows 10 Corsair 4000D black

Fyi i am Autistic (Aspergers) so sorry for any social mistakes (im mostly okay) If you want to learn more, Just ask! 

At the moment I'm using a Raspberry Pi (which currently doubles as my webserver). In the near future though I'll be moving the NAS to an old netbook, and the Pi will act as a web proxy to the NAS. I haven't decided what OS I'll be using on it though, I'm split between Windows 7, Server 2012, FreeNAS and Debian Linux. I might try all four and see which ones get the highest throughput.

My router has a USB 2.0 port on the back, but the drive read speed is absolutely horrid at 2MB/s, whereas my laptop's USB 2.0 reads the same drive at 15MB/s. I get faster read speeds over the internet (6MB/s) than my router gets from its USB port wacko.png

very nice, do you have a single usb into the pi? with that connected to the router?

yeah i think my router's usb is usb2 as well but i use it to stream to my media pc which runs perfect and via ftp im getting up to around 5mb/s which is okay for just file transfer of maybe a few files here and there im not doing 100's of megabytes a day.

Designed some graphics, looked at power supplies for tiddles and wondered what kind of fan should replace the faulty fan that i have in her right now.

Prayed that my only HD that has no backups.....keeps going till i get another HD to backup to.

O.o

you going a 2 pronged approach with a fan and a new secondary HDD i hope. New HDD shouldn't be too expensive hopefully you can pick one up soon.

Performed a speed test at my university and was please to see a 10 mbps upload :D

you suck.. university far better than my home internet connection

I rebuilt a laptop with a new CPU, it still doesn't turn on.

same but new CPU, different CPU? what else do you believe is wrong, maybe motherboard related?

Telling my friend that he should get a 980Ti instead of 3x980s (Performance) or the 390x (More VRAM).

Quote me if you want me to see your message. Like my post if it helped. Click "Show More" to see things that I use.

Desktop (2014): CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k @ 3.50GHz | GPU: MSi GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Motherboard: MSi Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill RipJaws X 1600MHz + 2x4GB HyperX Black 1600MHz | SSD: Samsung 750 Evo 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212x | PSU: Corsair VS650 | Case: Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus | OS: Windows 10 Home

Laptop (2017): Model: Asus UX310U

Peripherals: Monitor: Samsung S24D300 OC@75Hz + Viewsonic XG2401 (144Hz) | Mouse: Logitech G305 | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 | Headset: HyperX Cloud Core | Speakers: Logitech Z333 | Additional: Logitech G29

Mobiles: Samsung Pixon (2010-2012) | Samsung Galaxy Ace (2012-2013) | Samsung Galaxy S3 (2013-2016) | Samsung Note 4 (2015)(Lost) | Samsung Galaxy S7 (2016-2019) | Samsung Galaxy S10 (2019 - Current) | Additional: ASUS Zenwatch 2 (2016)

same but new CPU, different CPU? what else do you believe is wrong, maybe motherboard related?

Socket might be broken, I'll take it apart and reseat the chip later today after I wake up. The thing has been dead since December and gave me a CPU related error so I don't ever expect it to turn on. If it does, great! If not I'm borrowing my friend's rifle and practicing my aim on it.

very nice, do you have a single usb into the pi? with that connected to the router?

The pi has a bunch of USBs connected to it, one to store files and the others as backups. When I move the NAS setup to my netbook I'll be switching to a spare HDD that I have.

The pi is currently connected to the router via a Wifi extender, as the router is in a very inconvenient location at the moment. The ethernet cables I ordered will be running from the router to the pi, as well as the netbook NAS when I have that up and running.

I also just ran a read speed test on the command line and the Pi manages to read the usb (Sandisk Cruzer) at 20MB/s biggrin.png

Speedtests

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

CPU             i5-4430S

Spoiler

Type            Server

Quotes of Fame

I am working on a nas. I installed freenas and got it on my network but cant find it. Still working. I also repaired my whole room speakers and fixed my 3d printer. 

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean other others don't. Don't be a self-centered asshole. -Thank You a PSA from the people who do not say random shit on the internet. 

The pi has a bunch of USBs connected to it, one to store files and the others as backups. When I move the NAS setup to my netbook I'll be switching to a spare HDD that I have.

The pi is currently connected to the router via a Wifi extender, as the router is in a very inconvenient location at the moment. The ethernet cables I ordered will be running from the router to the pi, as well as the netbook NAS when I have that up and running.

I also just ran a read speed test on the command line and the Pi manages to read the usb (Sandisk Cruzer) at 20MB/s biggrin.png

really should pick one up, maybe a pi2 i think, they are too good and cheap enough not to waste some money on. you've confirmed it.

I am working on a nas. I installed freenas and got it on my network but cant find it. Still working. I also repaired my whole room speakers and fixed my 3d printer. 

what kind of specs you running for your nas? i have been thinking already of grabbing a i5K and retiring my 4 weeks old G3528 to a dedicated nas setup