Samsung Unpacked Event Recap (Note 5/Glaxy S6 Edge+) Gear S Teased [Updated 14 August]

Rekx

i dont care how small the battery is if its removable then im fine

edit: ok unless it is like 1 mah but even if its 2000 i would be happy with switching batteries a lo

I'm not criticizing removable batteries, but people didn't like having flimsy covers that were made of plastic and wanted something with metal uni-body; what I'm pointing out is you can't have it all ;D Though I totally respect you on having a removable battery 

I'm not criticizing removable batteries, but people didn't like having flimsy covers that were made of plastic and wanted something with metal uni-body; what I'm pointing out is you can't have it all ;D Though I totally respect you on having a removable battery 

they can have the unibody on the s6+ but have the removable battery on the note 5 as it is a power user device 

While you're half right, in most cases it does. For example in this case, if they'd put in a 4100mah battery, it would have significantly longer battery life.

We're not comparing two different manufacturers here. We're comparing what would happen if the same manufacturer simply put in a bigger battery.

I get what you're saying though.

Let's just hope it's battery life doesn't end up like the S6 & S6 Edge  :( 5.1.1 Update on the S6 made it worse  :rolleyes:

they can have the unibody on the s6+ but have the removable battery on the note 5 as it is a power user device 

I guess so, and I kind of would have wanted to see that on the Note. They're taking risks I guess  :huh:

And 100 memory modules in every single gadget you own.

lol

MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 w/Core i5 3210M and glorious HD 4000 Graphics

I sympathize with you, but you could go look for other devices which address your needs or give the non-removable battery a chance :D

I have a non removable battery in my Lg G2 and I'm not sure if it's the software or my battery but I get shit battery life... I guess I'll buy an iphone 6s or maybe wait for the 7 when my contract is up in March...

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky

y?

I just hate it !

Reason would be about 10 pages long

MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 w/Core i5 3210M and glorious HD 4000 Graphics

Very disappointed. Seems like Samsung (and the general public) don't care about making phones good anymore. They just want them to be pretty and will gladly trade functions for form.

• Same processor as the Galaxy S 6. I think it's the best one the market right now so I can't really complain, but it's not really exciting either.
  • Same camera as the S6. Like with the processor, it's one of the best on the market but it still feels kind of meh to not get anything new. Couldn't they at least upgrade the flash? Maybe give us a dual tone flash?
  • 4GB of LPDDR4 is pretty sweet. Will be interesting to see if that will give us an increase in performance over the 3GB in the Galaxy S 6.
  • The new push to eject pen seems pretty nice.
  • 3000mAh battery? It's not removable? What the fuck Samsung?
  • No microSD? Why not? There are 0 reasons why not having microSD is good for the consumer. All it does is limit consumers and forcing them to pay for your shitty overpriced storage option.
  • No IR blaster? Why not? It's pretty useful and takes up next to no space. Just cost cutting. Same as with the FM radio.
  • Stupid glass back. It was stupid when the iPhone 4 had it, and it's still stupid with the Note 5.
  • Micro USB 2.0. No idea why people seemed so against micro USB 3.0 but I thought it was alright. Now we have USB type C though and if OnePlus can implement it then Samsung should be able to do it too.
  • Mono speaker. Come on Samsung... If you don't want front facing speakers then at least give us two bottom facing ones. Hell you could even do 1 speaker at the top and one at the bottom if you want. Just do something to improve it.

The Moto X Style/Pure, with its microSD card slot, seems like a better phone honestly. Too bad the battery on that is only 3000mAh too.

Give us a 3400mAh or bigger battery if you're gonna seal it in there, thanks.

Bigger battery capacity doesn't equal to longer battery life, let's just wait for reviewers to pick up the device and have a comprehensive review; specifications don't tell the whole story anyways  :D

I agree with you.. my Sony z2 lasts 2 days and my friends 4000mah chinese phone got from ebay last 8 hours.. with same usage.. using non removable battery for a while. it is not so bad... just use a battery bank while traveling..

Aww it's so cute that unbox therapy guy sold out so hardcore. I wonder how much they paid him for saying "satisfying".

• No IR blaster? Why not? It's pretty useful and takes up next to no space. Just cost cutting. Same as with the FM radio.
  • Micro USB 2.0. No idea why people seemed so against micro USB 3.0 but I thought it was alright. Now we have USB type C though and if OnePlus can implement it then Samsung should be able to do it too.

These are the ones i am more concerned was really expecting type C.

Let's just hope it's battery life doesn't end up like the S6 & S6 Edge  :( 5.1.1 Update on the S6 made it worse  :rolleyes:

I just don't understand how they keep fucking up battery life with phones, haha. Such a simple thing to get right!

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Very disappointed. Seems like Samsung (and the general public) don't care about making phones good anymore. They just want them to be pretty and will gladly trade functions for form.

• Same processor as the Galaxy S 6. I think it's the best one the market right now so I can't really complain, but it's not really exciting either.
  • Same camera as the S6. Like with the processor, it's one of the best on the market but it still feels kind of meh to not get anything new. Couldn't they at least upgrade the flash? Maybe give us a dual tone flash?
  • 4GB of LPDDR4 is pretty sweet. Will be interesting to see if that will give us an increase in performance over the 3GB in the Galaxy S 6.
  • No microSD? Why not? There are 0 reasons why not having microSD is good for the consumer. All it does is limit consumers and forcing them to pay for your shitty overpriced storage option.
  • Stupid glass back. It was stupid when the iPhone 4 had it, and it's still stupid with the Note 5.
  • Mono speaker. Come on Samsung... If you don't want front facing speakers then at least give us two bottom facing ones. Hell you could even do 1 speaker at the top and one at the bottom if you want. Just do something to improve it.

Uhhhm hold your horses for a second! Ranting about having almost the same hardware is fine, but think for a moment is the Exynos 7420 not up for the job, or does the camera need to be actually better? What I'm getting at is consumer tries to scream what they need and they do need to listen, but the bottom line is it needs to be implemented well. A good example would be the Snapdragon 810 and its flaws instead of taking their time developing their own custom core they rushed to catch up with the octacore trend and ended up with a product with an Achilles' heel. It takes time to get things right and that's what Samsung does implement when it's the right time for it to come out :D

WUT? i just got this push notification and the event is already over ? GG samsung 

post-21562-0-29654000-1439485369_thumb.j

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

I'm hugely disappointed about the battery. I was hoping it'd be the rumored 4100mah, but 3000mah and fast charging is just such a cop out. Almost wish Qualcomm hadn't invented it.

You hit the nail on the head with the storage. They'll get more profits if they can sell the higher storage option ones. Companies look for profit. It's not overly surprising.

There's also the fact that a lot of people will just shove low quality microSD cards in there and complain about how they're slow or lost their data, and then blame the phone.

I've seen it happen over and over again. So I do kind of understand phasing them out. Though I'm not overly happy about it.

Glass backs look so good for the first 30 seconds though! I think they're possibly the worst thing on todays phones.

I don't see the massive appeal for USB Type C. I never had a problem plugging in my phone. So I'm not super disappointed it's not there.

Haha, how is one speaker on the top and one at the bottom any kind of improvement? It'd be worse, if anything. Much worse. Plus the phone would be larger to include it.

I hate bottom facing speakers. I think back facing is almost better, at least it's easier to cup.

I'm glad more companies are going front facing though, if the new Nexus rumors are true.

All I need to hear now is that the Huawei Nexus phablet is dual SIM and it'll be my next phone.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Apparently the Note 5 isn't coming to Europe

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

Apparently the Note 5 isn't coming to Europe

Wrong. the phone is coming to Europe.

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

I'm hugely disappointed about the battery. I was hoping it'd be the rumored 4100mah, but 3000mah and fast charging is just such a cop out. Almost wish Qualcomm hadn't invented it.

You hit the nail on the head with the storage. They'll get more profits if they can sell the higher storage option ones. Companies look for profit. It's not overly surprising.

There's also the fact that a lot of people will just shove low quality microSD cards in there and complain about how they're slow or lost their data, and then blame the phone.

I've seen it happen over and over again. So I do kind of understand phasing them out. Though I'm not overly happy about it.

Glass backs look so good for the first 30 seconds though! I think they're possibly the worst thing on todays phones.

I don't see the massive appeal for USB Type C. I never had a problem plugging in my phone. So I'm not super disappointed it's not there.

Haha, how is one speaker on the top and one at the bottom any kind of improvement? It'd be worse, if anything. Much worse. Plus the phone would be larger to include it.

I hate bottom facing speakers. I think back facing is almost better, at least it's easier to cup.

I'm glad more companies are going front facing though, if the new Nexus rumors are true.

All I need to hear now is that the Huawei Nexus phablet is dual SIM and it'll be my next phone.

Yep I'm not going to buy a Note 5. The battery is way to small for my taste. 

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

-snip-

I agree with you in some places. I almost choked on my sandwich when a read that it was a 3000mAh battery. That is disgraceful.

On the other hand, I don't think you should be so quick to criticize Samsung for using the same processor and camera as the s6. As long as they perform very well on the phone and people like the results, and as long as it's an improvement over the last note, who cares? How would you feel if the s6 didn't exist and this processor performed like a beast in the note on its own? I understand that new and amazing stuff is great, but it's more important whether or not it is objectively good.

._.

AMD A8-5500•••ASUS GTX 660•••MSI MS-7778 Mobo•••2x4GB DDR3 RAM•••CoolerMaster v550 Semi-Modular PSU•••1.5TB HDD•256GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD•••Optical Drive•••Phanteks Enthoo Pro

It is not coming...

Oh, yeah i see it now. Well honestly i don't care, they ruined the Note line for me anyway.

Thanks. Thread is updated with that information :-)

Launching 4 flagships per year doesn't make any sense if you ask me. But still, I'd rather be able to buy the Note 5 than having to buy the edge 6+ or whatever it is called

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?