Samsung Unpacked Event Recap (Note 5/Glaxy S6 Edge+) Gear S Teased [Updated 14 August]

Rekx

Yeah. To be honest, I'm fine with 16gb right now. I have my music on a separate player, because I don't see the point in having it on my phone.

If I go for a jog, I don't want to take my phone. It's too bulky. I'd rather have a little PMP.

So, if I want to carry music with me somewhere, I'll just grab that instead as well as the phone since I already have it.

To each his own, but I prefer to have everything at one place so 16GB is not enough for me. So I prefer a high-capacity phone for everything.

I do not know why people need huge storage..Music streaming for audio, netflix for movie and youtube for other video stream.. 64gb is more than enough for rest..

It's totally necessary for power-users that live/work/play in places where proper 3G/4G/free public wi-fi isn't ubiquitous.

Yeah, 3G and 4G coverage is amazing in the subway... NOT! Same goes when I'm on a hiking trip.

I want to store my music locally without needing some LTE connectivity. My music library alone is 35 GB. Of course I need 128 GB of storage.

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

I do not know why people need huge storage..Music streaming for audio, netflix for movie and youtube for other video stream.. 64gb is more than enough for rest..

Except that internet coverage isn't all that great everywhere. Plus as a rather heavy music-listener it would be a lot cheaper in the long run to to buy a high-capacity phone in the first place rather than paying more per month in phone bill

No USB-C  :lol: . Another year of non reversible chargers for Samsung phones.

Other than quick charge missing , i don't see another reason why they wouldn't use it.

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

Except that internet coverage isn't all that great everywhere. Plus as a rather heavy music-listener it would be a lot cheaper in the long run to to buy a high-capacity phone in the first place rather than paying more per month in phone bill

I use Spotify Premium (offline) on the go. Though i'm still using 30Gb out of 32gb of my Note 3.

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

The S6 Edge+ has 128GB versions but only for specific carriers (which is a fail) and the Note 5 does not have 128GB at all, no matter what carrier...

And the bigger storage options are expensive as balls for no reason other than "lol we can actually get away with a 1000% profit on memory? People sure are suckers!".

The 64GB model is about 100 dollars more expensive than the 32GB model, but the actual BOM cost is something like 15 dollars (and don't bring up R&D cost please, since there is no additional cost to change an eMMC chip).

It makes me sad and angry that people defend the lack of microSD in phones. If people spent less time defending companies trying to rip them off and more time asking companies to actually make the product better for the customers, then maybe the Note 5 and S6 would have had microSD slots still. Removing microSD slots don't help customers in any way. It only helps manufacturers sell more of their incredibly overpriced high capacity models.

The S6 Edge+ has 128GB versions but only for specific carriers (which is a fail) and the Note 5 does not have 128GB at all, no matter what carrier...

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2015/08/14/128gb-galaxy-note-5-galaxy-s6-edge-accidentally-hit-samsung-site/

don't bring up R&D cost please, since there is no additional cost to change an eMMC chip

It does not use eMMC.. it uses UFS2,0 storage. There will be RnD expenses attached to it especially it is the only company that uses it

It was there when i posted the link.. They might have pulled it..

It was there when i posted the link.. They might have pulled it..

Just updated my thread with information related to this.

It does not use eMMC.. it uses UFS2,0 storage. There will be RnD expenses attached to it especially it is the only company that uses it

Well the cost of the R&D for the chip itself is already included in the price of the chip. What I meant was that there is no additional R&D needed to swap the 32GB module out for a 64GB module. If the 64GB module costs 15 dollars more then making the 64GB model will only cost them 15 dollars more. It's not 15 dollars plus a bunch of extra dollars because putting a 64GB module requires more development of the actual phone.

And yes I know Samsung is the developer and manufacturer of the UFS module, but that's from a different division which the handset division buys from. The development of that module is put on the expense of the storage divison and is then added to the cost of the module, which is then added to the BOM cost of the phone. No different from when Samsung buys chips from for example Qualcomm.

Well the cost of the R&D for the chip itself is already included in the price of the chip. What I meant was that there is no additional R&D needed to swap the 32GB module out for a 64GB module. If the 64GB module costs 15 dollars more then making the 64GB model will only cost them 15 dollars more. It's not 15 dollars plus a bunch of extra dollars because putting a 64GB module requires more development of the actual phone.

And yes I know Samsung is the developer and manufacturer of the UFS module, but that's from a different division which the handset division buys from. The development of that module is put on the expense of the storage divison and is then added to the cost of the module, which is then added to the BOM cost of the phone. No different from when Samsung buys chips from for example Qualcomm.

UFS 2.0 is newer hence RnD cost will be more compared to eMMC.. for new tech more RnD expenses will be imposed on product during 1st year then it will reduce every year.. in the end it will be cheap.. The RnD expense will be assigned more for higher capacity so that they can keep cheaper version with low capacity... I know even then the price wont be so high,, They charge premium for flagship and the reason is they are not making much money in other price range models.. if you need absolute best you need to spend money.. Getting phone is not so hard,,, get a phone on contract..  will just take 40pounds per month.. you get unlimited 4G, SMS and local non premium calls..no upfront cost and you can even unlock bootloader and sim with some careers and phone..

UFS 2.0 is newer hence RnD cost will be more compared to eMMC.. for new tech more RnD expenses will be imposed on product during 1st year then it will reduce every year.. in the end it will be cheap.. The RnD expense will be assigned more for higher capacity so that they can keep cheaper version with low capacity... I know even then the price wont be so high,, They charge premium for flagship and the reason is they are not making much money in other price range models.. if you need absolute best you need to spend money.. Getting phone is not so hard,,, get a phone on contract..  will just take 40pounds per month.. you get unlimited 4G, SMS and local non premium calls..no upfront cost and you can even unlock bootloader and sim with some careers and phone..

I don't think you understood what I said. What I said was that the price of the R&D is baked into the price when handset manufacturers buy the phone. When HTC orders a chip from Qualcomm for 20 dollars, the cost of the R&D will be baked into the 20 dollars HTC paid. Qualcomm doesn't come to HTC afterwards and goes "hey, I know you paid 20 dollars but actually we want 2 dollars more now because of the R&D cost".

When Samsung buys parts for their new phones they buy from other divisions of the company. They don't get things for free. So when they buy another module for let's say 15 dollars, let's say 1 dollar of that is used to pay for the R&D.

So if the module costs 15 dollars more then that is the only additional cost associated with using that module in the phone. If the 32GB chip costs 15 dollars and the 64GB chip costs 30 dollars, then using the 64GB chip will only cost them an extra 15 dollars. It won't cost them 20 dollars more to use a part that's 15 dollars more expensive.

Do you understand what I mean?

As for contracts, I always buy my phones outright. That's because we don't have subsized phones in Sweden. Right now I pay ~5 pounds for my phone plan. That's with free messages and calling to everyone on the same network (9/10 people I know) and 3GB of data (after that I get throttled, but it doesn't cost any extra to go above it).