How Do I Stop Windows 10 From Downloading?

Shaan5

So I recently Upgraded to Windows 10 and I ended up reverting back to 8.1, However whenever I boot up my PC, Windows 10 automatically starts downloading like If I had clicked the Windows Icon in the bottom left or started it through Windows Update, I want to get Windows 10 eventually but not yet, how do I stop this?

Thanks

Case: Define R5 I GPU: G1 GTX 970 I CPU: i5 4690k I RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X I PSU:  EVGA 750B2 I Cooler: Noctua NH D15 

MB: ASUS Z97-A I SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB I HDD: WD Black 1TB

So I recently Upgraded to Windows 10 and I ended up reverting back to 8.1, However whenever I boot up my PC, Windows 10 automatically starts downloading like If I had clicked the Windows Icon in the bottom left or started it through Windows Update, I want to get Windows 10 eventually but not yet, how do I stop this?

Thanks

Change the windows update settings,sounds like you have it on auto update right now.

Change the windows update settings,sounds like you have it on auto update right now.

I changed it to manual and it didnt work, whenever I boot up my PC, Windows update opens and Windows 10 Starts downloading

Case: Define R5 I GPU: G1 GTX 970 I CPU: i5 4690k I RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X I PSU:  EVGA 750B2 I Cooler: Noctua NH D15 

Go to services.msc from RUN.

Search for Windows Update -- > Right Click --> Properties --> Startup type to Disabled.

Windows Update won't start unless you start the service, that includes Windows 10 downloading.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

Stop the download

Right-click the windows icon in the taskbar, select "check your upgrade status".  In the next window, you'll see 3 horizontal stripes near the top left corner.  Click that, then select "view confirmation".

You'll now be back on the reservation page.  Near the bottom left, there's a "cancel reservation" link.  Use that to cancel your Win10 reservation.

That stops it from downloading again. 

If you want, you can get rid of the entire upgrade thing.

Open Windows update.  Near the bottom left corner, there's an "Installed updates" link.  Click that, search for KB3035583 and uninstall that one.  Go back to the Windows Update main screen, let Windows update search for updates, right-click KB3035583 and select "hide this update".

One last step.

Open your task manager (ctrl-shift-esc), open the "processes" tab, search for GWX.exe and end that process. 

Then go to C:\Windows\System32\ and rename or delete the "GWX" folder.

Reboot

Thanks

curious..how come you want 8 over 10?

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

curious..how come you want 8 over 10?

I just want to make sure that Windows 10 is stable before upgrading, I do agree though that 8 isn't the best

Stop the download

Right-click the windows icon in the taskbar, select "check your upgrade status".  In the next window, you'll see 3 horizontal stripes near the top left corner.  Click that, then select "view confirmation".

You'll now be back on the reservation page.  Near the bottom left, there's a "cancel reservation" link.  Use that to cancel your Win10 reservation.

Open Windows update.  Near the bottom left corner, there's an "Installed updates" link.  Click that, search for KB3035583 and uninstall that one.  Go back to the Windows Update main screen, let Windows update search for updates, right-click KB3035583 and select "hide this update".

One last step.

Open your task manager (ctrl-shift-esc), open the "processes" tab, search for GWX.exe and end that process. 

Reboot

I just cancelled my reservation so that, when I want Windows 10, I can just reserve it and download it

Thanks

Stop the download

One last step.

Reboot

If I get rid of the KB3035583 update, can I still update to Windows 10 later, I canceled my reservation but the "Upgrade to Windows 10 still shows up in my Windows Update and when I Boot up my PC, it tries to update to Windows 10 and then fails

You can uninstall the update and hide it, and then restore it when you want it back.

Also be sure to kill GWX.exe and rename the GWX folder too. 

You can uninstall the update and hide it, and then restore it when you want it back.

Also be sure to kill GWX.exe and rename the GWX folder too. 

How do I restore it back

Thanks for the fast reply!

EDIT: Also, what about The GWX,exe and the GWX folder, what should I do about those when I want to Upgrade

Open Windows Update

Click "Restore hidden updates" (in the left column on Win7, not sure about 8.1)

As for the folder, you can just change the name back to "GWX" when you decide to upgrade.

Open Windows Update

Click "Restore hidden updates" (in the left column on Win7, not sure about 8.1)

As for the folder, you can just change the name back to "GWX" when you decide to upgrade.

Ok, what about the GWX.exe

Thanks

Ok, what about the GWX.exe

Thanks

Just kill the process and rename the folder (can't rename it while the process is running).  Otherwise it might still pop up on the next restart.

Just kill the process and rename the folder (can't rename it while the process is running).  Otherwise it might still pop up on the next restart.

How would I restart the process when I want to get Windows 10

Thanks

That's easy enough, download the Win10 installer tool from Microsoft themselves (link).  I upgraded my 8.1 that way without even reserving or anything. 

I hid the "windows 10 update KB3035583" I have deleted the $Windows.~BT folder and yet it still continues to force itself to download when I try and update my windows 7 security patches. I have also canceled my reservation for Windows 10. Now note also I did have Windows 10 but was not happy with it so I used the "reset back to windows 7" option. Even though in the list of selected updates, the KB3035583 is not there or selected it STILL continues to donwload. This is really annoying and I can't find anyway other than a format to stop this process. Anyone have a solution?

I hid the "windows 10 update KB3035583" I have deleted the $Windows.~BT folder and yet it still continues to force itself to download when I try and update my windows 7 security patches. I have also canceled my reservation for Windows 10. Now note also I did have Windows 10 but was not happy with it so I used the "reset back to windows 7" option. Even though in the list of selected updates, the KB3035583 is not there or selected it STILL continues to donwload. This is really annoying and I can't find anyway other than a format to stop this process. Anyone have a solution?

Sounds like GWX is still autostarting. 

Reboot the PC.

Sounds like GWX is still autostarting.

Reboot the PC.

that's the issue, neither the GWX.exe is in processors nor is there a folder in system32 named GWX.

that's the issue, neither the GWX.exe is in processors nor is there a folder in system32 named GWX.

hmm, no idea then.  Never came across that before.

hmm, no idea then.  Never came across that before.

So it would appear that despite Windows 7 update saying "Downloading Windows 10" it was infact only downloading the selected updates I had chosen, none of which was Windows 10 related. I still have that $Windows~BT folder but other than that nothing else Windows 10 related.