Have you ever used an expansion slot on your motherboard for more than a GPU or an SSD?

Go to solution Solved by dalekphalm,

I just deciding whether I should go for either mini ITX or Micro ATX.

Yes I have, but most users won't. I've used PCIe sound cards, PCIe RAID cards, and extra NIC's.

But unless you have a specific need for any of those, I would plan your build around what you need now.

My motherboard only comes with one, and what's a gaming PC without a GPU?

I would use more than one only for a Wi-Fi card but MITX motherboards come with Wi-Fi.

Do they actually? All of them or a few? How do I tell if the Asus H97I-PLUS has it? I don't see it mentioned anywhere.

My motherboard only comes with one, and what's a gaming PC without a GPU?

You have an ITX gaming PC? Is it loud?

A sound card... but most people think they are useless and, to some point, I can agree. (Even though I have one and like it, for most people it makes no sense.)

Build Modulus

[x] Intel Core i7 3770 [x] PNY xlr8 16gb(2x8) 1600mhz [x] Asus Strix 970 [x] Corsair h90, 3x corsair sp140, 1x Corsair af120 [x] ASRock Z77 Extreme4 [x] NZXT S340 [x] EVGA superNOVA NEX 650w [x] Asus xonar DG,Beyerdynamic dt770 Pro (80ohms), PreSonus M7, PreSonus AudioBox [x] WASD keyboard 104 key(Mx Brown) [x] Corsair M65 RGB [x] WD Blue 1TB 7200 HDD, WD passport 1tb [x] Asus VN247H-P, BenQ 2420Z [x]

Cycling Gear

[x] Giant Defy 5 [x] CamelBak Classic 2L [x] Nishiki Socorro [x] Giro Bravo Blue Jewel/Black [x] Midland Xtra-Talk w/ Headset (For Group Rides) [x] Casio G-Shock G100-1BV [x] Zefal Saddle Bag [x] Giant Control Mini MTB+ Frame Pump [x] Schwinn Expanding Cage [x] 2* Giant 700c*25c Tubes - Presta Valve [x] 2* Tire Levers [x] Stanley Allen Key Set [x] Mini-Lock For Saddle Bag [x]

Yes I have, but most users won't. I've used PCIe sound cards, PCIe RAID cards, and extra NIC's.

But unless you have a specific need for any of those, I would plan your build around what you need now.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Sound card and wifi back in the day, though nowadays they've become standard features. Your best bet is to shop around and compare boards

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

A sound card... but most people think they are useless and, to some point, I can agree. (Even though I have one and like it, for most people it makes no sense.)

I already have a DAC, so I'm good with that.

Sound card and wifi back in the day, though nowadays they've become standard features. Your best bet is to shop around and compare boards

By standard features, do you mean WiFi is already on the motherboard?

Do they actually? All of them or a few? How do I tell if the Asus H97I-PLUS has it? I don't see it mentioned anywhere.

You have an ITX gaming PC? Is it loud?

With my reference GTX 760 it is a touch loud but still very quiet. I am upgrading to an ACX 2.0 GTX 970 and a liquid cooler so it should be much quieter. The size of a shoebox and performs better than my old PC.

Edit: A lot of mini ITX boards come with Wi-Fi. I do believe the H97I-PLUS does come with it but I could be wrong. I know for a fact that the Z97I-PLUS does.

By standard features, do you mean WiFi is already on the motherboard?

Yeah, there would be antennas out the back if that's the case - otherwise maybe an add-in card in a proprietary slot.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

Edit: A lot of mini ITX boards come with Wi-Fi. I do believe the H97I-PLUS does come with it but I could be wrong. I know for a fact that the Z97I-PLUS does.

Yep, my Z87i Gaming AC has an Intel 7260 on there, very nice ;)

And yeah, also just one PCI-E slot. But on my older boards which were ATX i only used it for a soundcard once. When onboards were still shit.

Yep, my Z87i Gaming AC has an Intel 7260 on there, very nice ;)

And yeah, also just one PCI-E slot. But on my older boards which were ATX i only used it for a soundcard once. When onboards were still shit.

Lol my B85M-ITX has 7.1 channel built in.

Lol my B85M-ITX has 7.1 channel built in.

I do not understand, I said "when they were still shit". I'm refering to the <LGA 1156 era. Like Socket 939 boards or 775. Those onboards were shit and a soundcard was still somewhat useful.

Wifi card for me.

Some people use em for  sound cards, capture cards, wired networking cards, raid controllers, and who knows what else.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I had a soundcard way back in the day..

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Way back when I had a motherboard integrated soundcard died on me so I had an Hercules Muse I think was called. This was 10+ years ago though

-------

Current Rig

-------

With my reference GTX 760 it is a touch loud but still very quiet. I am upgrading to an ACX 2.0 GTX 970 and a liquid cooler so it should be much quieter. The size of a shoebox and performs better than my old PC.

Oh. Maybe the wifi is a Z feature that's not in the H ones. 

Most of them have it, it should be listed in the specs if a board has Wi-Fi or you should see antennas or gold hexagonal antenna-equipping points (IDEK anymore) on the motherboard I/O.

Most of them have it, it should be listed in the specs if a board has Wi-Fi or you should see antennas or gold hexagonal antenna-equipping points (IDEK anymore) on the motherboard I/O.

I guess mine doesn't have it then. 

Must be a Z feature.

I do not understand, I said "when they were still shit". I'm refering to the <LGA 1156 era. Like Socket 939 boards or 775. Those onboards were shit and a soundcard was still somewhat useful.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. Onboard audio is great now. My tiny little ITX board has 7.1 channel audio.

I guess mine doesn't have it then. 

Must be a Z feature.

I think there are some USB Wi-Fi cards things, correct me if I'm wrong.

There is Wi-Fi on H97 boards but it's very rare.