Have you ever used an expansion slot on your motherboard for more than a GPU or an SSD?

Go to solution Solved by dalekphalm,

I just deciding whether I should go for either mini ITX or Micro ATX.

Yes I have, but most users won't. I've used PCIe sound cards, PCIe RAID cards, and extra NIC's.

But unless you have a specific need for any of those, I would plan your build around what you need now.

I think there are some USB Wi-Fi cards things, correct me if I'm wrong.

There is Wi-Fi on H97 boards but it's very rare.

Oh. I'll go find some. Thanks.

Oh. Maybe the wifi is a Z feature that's not in the H ones. 

Wi-Fi isn't a chipset thing. It's jsut whether or not the board comes with a mPCI-E slot and a Wi-Fi card. There are tons of H boards that have Wi-Fi, just not the H97I-PLUS.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. Onboard audio is great now. My tiny little ITX board has 7.1 channel audio.

Well there is more to it than just 7.1. Like crosstalk, frequency response and SNR being a few of them. Aswell as proper headphone-amps. But yeah, my onboard chip has 105dB SNR (measured) and a dual OPA2134 opamp setup, that was absolutely not the case back then. Only thing that onboard implementations should improve, is the output impedance. But I digress ;)

Is there any other way to have wifi other than a card?

A USB dongle, but most if not all of them suck. I don't have Wi-Fi on my rig, I routed Ethernet to room from the router 50ft. away. Makes a hell of a difference.

An extra video card for more monitors.

And I'm currently using an ancient sound card, and an ancient ethernet card, but that's just because I can.

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7