Is Skylake really worth it?

Again, is skylake REALLY worth it? I am not just talking temperatures here, I was going to upgrade to an i7 5820k a few weeks ago until I heard that skylake was so close but now I don't even want to here about those stupid things. They can hardly compete with an i7 5820k. Anyways please don't take my statements as criticism, they are merely my opinions although I would like to hear about yours.

If you're upgrading, no. The 5820K is actually cheaper than the 6700K (at least, here in the UK it is), so you may as well switch to X99, as you're going to have to pay a lot for a new motherboard and DDR4 either way. 

Skylake is now the best option available for new builds, but it's not worth upgrading to it from the last few generations.

HAF 912  •  i5-2500k  •  16GB DDR3  •  980Ti  •  2x 480GB Intel 730  •  3x Dell U2715H 

Intel's Enthusiast platform is the way to go if you don't need an iGPU. 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

NO it's not worth it if you already have a current gen i5/i7. IF, however, you're coming from an 8350, or an older i5/i7 (like an i5 750), then it's worth it.

The performance difference between Z97 + 1150, and Z107 and 1151 is not worth the price difference.

|  Athlon 750K   |   EVGA GTX 750 Ti FTW  |  Acer Aspire E15 - i5 6200u, 940M  |

|  Sennheiser HD 518   |   FiiO E10K DAC and Amp  |

Moto G (1st Gen)

Take note that iGPU provides quick sync and video decoding

Using Tapatalk

An intel 5820k and a Decent motherboard will cost around the same or less then Skylake, so what is even the point of buying right now? I hope the prices will come down fast.

I like good humans and good food

Not at all worth it to switch

I wouldn't even recommend switching at all. Not for a few months till we know there aren't any kinks  in the hardware like the 970 and VRAM (3.5+.5)

If you already have Haswell-E then no, I don't know why you would feel compelled to upgrade when you just spent premium for a build months ago.  Haswell-E may be the better option right now if you want to just slap a computer together then forget about it (not upgrade it). 

But in a few months when there are more options for skylake it'll probably be a great time to invest in the new architecture.  Socket 1151 is probably going to have a much longer lifespan than previous intel generations.

Personally, Skylake isn't worth it. The performance difference between Devil's Canyon are not that impressive. Maybe if you're planning a new build, then yes Skylake will probably make sense since it is newer. But if I was to upgrade from my current build as of now, I'd still go Z97 or even X99 depending on the prices.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

For gaming with one or two video cards I'd have recommended the i7-4790K over the i7-5820K a week ago and I'll recommend the 6700K over it now.

Unless you need the extra cores for video editing applications, three or more video cards, or if for some reason the 5820K ends up being cheaper where you live, somehow.

Skylake is great if you want to build an entirely new system, but if you're already on LGA1150, there's really no reason to move over to a brand new, and possibly buggy (motherboard/bios issues) socket. In most tests it's MAYBE a 5% increase in overall performance with better overclocking abilities and more chipset PCI lanes so you can run cards in 16x/16x, but 8x/8x is still plenty for the refresh CPU's.

Skylake is now the best option available for new builds, but it's not worth upgrading to it from the last few generations.

actually the interesting stuff is not here yet... fsb / blck overclocking on xeon 8 thread cpu will be bonkers

btw xeon beats i5OC in multithread

actually the interesting stuff is not here yet... fsb / blck overclocking on xeon 8 thread cpu will be bonkers

best *value option available for new builds. This line from Intel has never been the best performance-wise, just the best option for most people.

HAF 912  •  i5-2500k  •  16GB DDR3  •  980Ti  •  2x 480GB Intel 730  •  3x Dell U2715H 

I'm just gonna sit here and wait until they release Skylake for the enthusiast platform. Maybe that'll finally make it worth upgrading from my 2600k :P

Desktop:     Core i7-9700K @ 5.1GHz all-core = ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate = 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @ 3600MHz = Asus ROG Strix 3060ti (non LHR) = Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD = ASUS PG279Q

Notebook:  Clevo P651RG-G = Core i7 6820HK = 16GB HyperX Impact DDR4 2133MHz = GTX 980M = 1080p IPS G-Sync = Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD

best *value option available for new builds. This line from Intel has never been the best performance-wise, just the best option for most people.

I'm just gonna sit here and wait until they release Skylake for the enthusiast platform. Maybe that'll finally make it worth upgrading from my 2600k :P

you both have sandy and 980ti

NUFF SAID INTEL we need 6820k at 300$ ! crap overclocking/temps = quality should account for lower price!

I'm assuming Intel has a way to lock down the BCLK on non-K Skylake SKUs. I'd be pretty happy if I ended up being wrong, but it sounds very unlike them.

5820k owner checking in.

IMO the i6-6700k should not be purchased. 5820k OC'd to 4.2-4.4ghz is a much better value for the money. 

Skylake i5-6600k is good for a more mid-range build but some people are reporting that in GTA V or Crysis 1080p they see CPU bottlenecks on max settings as i5 lacks hyper-threading. 

I'm just gonna sit here and wait until they release Skylake for the enthusiast platform. Maybe that'll finally make it worth upgrading from my 2600k  :P

u 4k?

I would upgrade to 4k first as that'll reduce your CPU usage, then if you're bottlenecked upgrade CPU. 

u 4k?

I would upgrade to 4k first as that'll reduce your CPU usage, then if you're bottlenecked upgrade CPU.

1440p, 5k DSR in some older games :)

Desktop:     Core i7-9700K @ 5.1GHz all-core = ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate = 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @ 3600MHz = Asus ROG Strix 3060ti (non LHR) = Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD = ASUS PG279Q

Notebook:  Clevo P651RG-G = Core i7 6820HK = 16GB HyperX Impact DDR4 2133MHz = GTX 980M = 1080p IPS G-Sync = Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD

I think Skylake is worth it, only when it comes to certain situations of course. I currently have an i7-4770k, no reason to upgrade right?

However, my girlfriend only has a dual core pentium processor, so we both decided that if she pays half of the total balance of CPU+Mobo+RAM, then we both get an upgrade (more her than me)

But generally not a lot of people see any reason to upgrade.

Just my opinion of course.

1440p, 5k DSR in some older games :)

i upgraded  from 

27" 1440p -> 4K 40" 

and it's amazing.