rumour has it AMD is prepping a 370X to "combat" nVidia's GTX950 [updated]

zMeul

I don't know what is worst, AMD rebranding or being able to compete with rebrands... NVIDIA isn't pushing enough performance since AMD is still trading blows with cards from 2011.

Not to mention that the 7870 has asynchronous compute engines and other hardware to utilize DX12_0 features . It's amazing how hard nubs rag on AMD when the company is constantly paving roads for the gaming industry. not an easy thing to do when they have no extra money and they are trying to compete with intel and Nvidia at the same time. 

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

I don't know what is worst, AMD rebranding or being able to compete with rebrands... NVIDIA isn't pushing enough performance since AMD is still trading blows with cards from 2011.

You're talking about the extreme low end as if it's all either company has to offer. It's nonsensical.

Nvidia chose to cut down a mid range card for their budget option, AMD chose to get out the permanent marker on what was a high performance card some years ago. This card traded blows with the GTX 580. I mean Nvidia could rebrand Fermi. It wouldn't make anything like as much sense as an equally performing 950 with new features, low power draw and much lower heat output, but they could do that...

A lot of people don't care about things like heat and power usage in a desktop, but it's pretty vital in this section of the market. As I've already mentioned in this topic, people often have shit PSUs they don't want to or can't upgrade from yet. Also it's very common for this tier to be used in gaming HTPCs. I would not put a GTX 580 in a living room, they are loud as hell.

So yeah I don't accept the idea that you should expect the bleeding edge of what technology has to offer for £100 from AMD or Nvidia. AMD have typically chosen performance here by rebranding their previously higher tier cards, while Nvidia have innovated more in the way of energy efficiency and heat at the expense of raw performance and also a higher price.

Not to mention that the 7870 has asynchronous compute engines and other hardware to utilize DX12_0 features . It's amazing how hard nubs rag on AMD when the company is constantly paving roads for the gaming industry. not an easy thing to do when they have no extra money and they are trying to compete with intel and Nvidia at the same time. 

This innovation would have been upwards of five years ago though. They weren't in such dire straits as they are now yet.

You're talking about the extreme low end as if it's all either company has to offer. It's nonsensical.

Nvidia chose to cut down a mid range card for their budget option, AMD chose to get out the permanent marker on what was a high performance card some years ago. This card traded blows with the GTX 580. I mean Nvidia could rebrand Fermi. It wouldn't make anything like as much sense as an equally performing 950 with new features, low power draw and much lower heat output, but they could do that...

A lot of people don't care about things like heat and power usage in a desktop, but it's pretty vital in this section of the market. As I've already mentioned in this topic, people often have shit PSUs they don't want to or can't upgrade from yet. Also it's very common for this tier to be used in gaming HTPCs. I would not put a GTX 580 in a living room, they are loud as hell.

So yeah I don't accept the idea that you should expect the bleeding edge of what technology has to offer for £100 from AMD or Nvidia. AMD have typically chosen performance here by rebranding their previously higher tier cards, while Nvidia have innovated more in the way of energy efficiency and heat at the expense of raw performance and also a higher price.

This innovation would have been upwards of five years ago though. They weren't in such dire straits as they are now yet.

A 580 is a toaster oven and a bad comparison. Nvidia buried Fermi as fast as they could with Kepler. a 7870 draws half the power of a 580 on average. you need a better example.

power_average.gif

power_maximum.gif

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

A 580 is a toaster oven and a bad comparison. Nvidia buried Fermi as fast as they could with Kepler. a 7870 draws half the power of a 580 on average. you need a better example.

No I don't because I was clearly talking about performance. Please learn to read.

you're missing the point where AMD has to rebrand their 270X, that's a 7870Ghz rebrand to contra-attack nVidia's upcoming GTX950

Am i?

If you buy a sports car today, and lose to a sports car of a few years back in a race. Would you just go "well they missed the point with that old one cuz my SPORTS CAR isnt about performance at all it is about being new".

No... no you would not. You would regret that purchase dearly if you knew you could afford the other option.

Why can i say that? Because being dis-illusioned sucks, been there, done that. Once you realize you would be better off with the older version, then you really regret not buying it twice.

Point in case.. Sonys old PS3 wireless headset was fantastic. Their new one for PS4, which was supposed to be an upgrade from their original... Its worse then even the worst movie sequel joke ive heard... Blew 100 USD on a less the OK headset on the promise of it being same as the old, just fixing all the bad stuff...

If something works, dont try fix it.

If it is old, still works, but can be improved upon, do it.

We know what pitcairn can do. We know what to expect. We know AMD wont fuck us over with abyssmal performance due to drivers like Nvidia recently did with the 700 series.

Why wont AMD do that? Because they know even their own fans isnt so blind they would let it slide, nor would the Nvidia fans. They cannot fuck up like that.

No I don't because I was clearly talking about performance. Please learn to read.

-snip-

Nvidia chose to cut down a mid range card for their budget option, AMD chose to get out the permanent marker on what was a high performance card some years ago. This card traded blows with the GTX 580. I mean Nvidia could rebrand Fermi. It wouldn't make anything like as much sense as an equally performing 950 with new features, low power draw and much lower heat output, but they could do that...

A lot of people don't care about things like heat and power usage in a desktop, but it's pretty vital in this section of the market. As I've already mentioned in this topic, people often have shit PSUs they don't want to or can't upgrade from yet. Also it's very common for this tier to be used in gaming HTPCs. I would not put a GTX 580 in a living room, they are loud as hell.

you were saying? 

Wasn't the deal that you don't give a damn about low end cards? 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

you were saying? 

Yes, I compared the heat and power usage of a 960 to a 580. Seriously learn to read.

If something works, dont try fix it.

If it is old, still works, but can be improved upon, do it.

are you? yes, you are missing the point

because AMD, by rebadging Pitcairn XT a 3rd time sais to us there's something wrong with it

no! there was absolutely nothing wrong with the 270X and with 7870Ghz before, and yet AMD chose to rebadge it

why AMD is doing this? because they need to give the consumer the false sense they're buing something new when in fact it's same exact thing as it was 3y ago

one other thing AMD does wrong with this: the market segment this 370X will be aimed at will be the people who care a whole lot more about the price point

so, what they will do is to buy the already existing 270X because it will be cheaper

Yes, I compared the heat and power usage of a 960 to a 580. Seriously learn to read.

-snip-

Nvidia chose to cut down a mid range card for their budget option, AMD chose to get out the permanent marker on what was a high performance card some years ago. This card traded blows with the GTX 580. I mean Nvidia could rebrand Fermi. It wouldn't make anything like as much sense as an equally performing 950 with new features, low power draw and much lower heat output, but they could do that...

Oh I'm reading, but you are still comparing a 7870 to a 580, and then discussing heat and power draw as though the 7870 is comparable. Omitting the fact that the 7870 pulls half the power of a 580 is not much different than suggesting there is no difference, or its not worth mentioning. 

Comparing the 7870 to a Kepler equivalent like a 660 would make much more sense. similar performance, power draw and heat. your argument would make so much more sense with a 660 than a 580.

power_average.gif

Oh I'm reading, but you are still comparing a 7870 to a 580, and then discussing heat and power draw as though the 7870 is comparable. Omitting the fact that the 7870 pulls half the power of a 580 is not much different than suggesting there is no difference, or its not worth mentioning. 

Comparing the 7870 to a Kepler equivalent like a 660 would make much more sense. similar performance, power draw and heat. your argument would make so much more sense with a 660 than a 580.

I don't give a shit. Whatever. If using 660 Ti as an example of an identically performing card is what makes you stop quibbling over terminology then so be it. I'm not going to sit here and have an argument because you are deliberately misreading and misrepresenting what was a sensible and correct post.

I am a AMD fanboy.. but I think its weird that they are prepping a card that  is in a higher end class then the GTX 950 to combat it :/

More like Nvidia is upping the performance of it's X50 class cards to where it's now competing with higher class AMD cards than the 750 did. ;)

I'd like to see a 960Ti and 380X (full Tonga) go head to head for the king of the budget mid-range class. :D 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

More like Nvidia is upping the performance of it's X50 class cards to where it's now competing with higher class AMD cards than the 750 did. ;)

Except that the R7 370 is a lower class card than the R9 270. The 260X used to compete with the 750 Ti, now the 370 does. The only reason I can see for Nvidia making a follow-up to a 750 Ti is to compete with the 370X. Given the 270's position of performing somewhere between the 750 Ti and the 760, it makes sense for the 370X and 950 to target this level of performance.

I agree, though, that the 960 Ti and the 380X are what are really needed. The obsolescence of the 280X has left... nothing for someone looking for a sensible 1080p purchase.

Except that the R7 370 is a lower class card than the R9 270. The 260X used to compete with the 750 Ti, now the 370 does. The only reason I can see for Nvidia making a follow-up to a 750 Ti is to compete with the 370X. Given the 270's position of performing somewhere between the 750 Ti and the 760, it makes sense for the 370X and 950 to target this level of performance.

I agree, though, that the 960 Ti and the 380X are what are really needed. The obsolescence of the 280X has left... nothing for someone looking for a sensible 1080p purchase.

The 260 and 360 still competes with the 750ti. It's because the 950 is expected to have higher performance than even the 750Ti, that it (the 950) will now compete with the 270/370x instead. 

Nvidia usually bumps their cards up in class with each generation, where as AMD tends to lower their cards in class with each generation, thus you get this crossover of competing cards from (what used to be) different classes. ;) Example: the 660 class cards were nowhere near the performance of the 7900 class cards at the time, but now the 960 competes with what is now the equivalent of the 7970 (the 380). It's confusing, no doubt. :P

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

It is apparent that AMD is saving a lot of money by rebranding the Pitcarn core a second time (as they did with the whole 2XX series), no RND needed to make the architecture better, because, it is very versitile and competes with Nvidia performance (and even beats them). The only things it is lagging are... power efficiency (addressed with the TONGA and FIJI core) and some DX12 features.

Rumors has it that one day people will stop talking about rumors as facts. It's just a rumor though, so don't quote me on that.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

The 260 and 360 still competes with the 750ti. It's because the 950 is expected to have higher performance than even the 750Ti, that it (the 950) will now compete with the 270/370x instead. 

Nvidia usually bumps their cards up in class with each generation, where as AMD tends to lower their cards in class with each generation, thus you get this crossover of competing cards from (what used to be) different classes. ;) Example: the 660 class cards were nowhere near the performance of the 7900 class cards at the time, but now the 960 competes with what is now the equivalent of the 7970 (the 380). It's confusing, no doubt. :P

I think part of is is that the 200 series was named exceptionally poorly. Between the 260, 265, 260X and the same with the 280-named cards people were always a bit unsure what was better. Especially with the 280 cards because the 285 was the newest but... not the best.

See, now this is a straight rebrand. You can't argue that this is a refresh.

See, now this is a straight rebrand. You can't argue that this is a refresh.

Well that could be it...Pitcairn is as refined as it can be I guess. There are no more improvements that can be done...but IDK why I have this feeling AMD still has an ace up its sleeve...I wonder if this signals the full Tonga arrival(in a 380X form) 

MARS_PROJECT V2 --- RYZEN RIG

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

But the 370x may support Free Sync, True Audio, etc... Isn't the main purpose of 300 series that all cards will support these technologies?

It doesnt tho

so fuck amd

Well that could be it...Pitcairn is as refined as it can be I guess. There are no more improvements that can be done...but IDK why I have this feeling AMD still has an ace up its sleeve...I wonder if this signals the full Tonga arrival(in a 380X form) 

They probably expect a 960 Ti and are waiting for that.

They probably expect a 960 Ti and are waiting for that.

I also think a 960Ti is on the way..there is just too big a gap between the 960 and the 970, both in price and performance.

MARS_PROJECT V2 --- RYZEN RIG

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

The all new R9 Combat...

I'd love to see what a mess build planning forums would be if there were no numbering systems to give you an idea which products performed better than the others in their line.

CPU:  Intel i7-4790K      Cooler:  Noctua NH-D14     GPU: ZOTAC GTX 1070 TI MINI     Motherboard:  ASUS Z97 Gryphon     RAM:  32GB G Skill Trident X     

Storage: 2x 512GB Samsung 850 EVO (RAID 0) / 2TB Seagate Barracuda     PSU: 850W EVGA SuperNova G2     Case: Fractal Design Node 804

I think part of is is that the 200 series was named exceptionally poorly. Between the 260, 265, 260X and the same with the 280-named cards people were always a bit unsure what was better. Especially with the 280 cards because the 285 was the newest but... not the best.

No kidding. The whole "R7/9" prefix is unnecessary IMO. I understand they want to separate the low, mid and high-end range of cards, but when you put the same card back on the market but now in a lower tier, that's just confusing. If they did away with the prefix silliness, they wouldn't have so much confusion. 

With the 265 and 285, they already had the established 260/x and 280/x models so they had to call them something. I think it was a mistake to release the 285 (Tonga) when they did. I think they should have waited for the 300 series and released the Tonga as a brand new card - the 380. But I think they wanted to retire Tahitti (280/x aka 7950/70) at an earlier date, thus the 285 was released. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler