you android could be hacked by a simple SMS...Stagefright

A discovery in Android operating systems uncovered by a researchers at Zimperium zLabs could be the worst ever reported for Android devicehas uncovered a flaw that leaves as many as 95% of Android devices—that’s 950 million gadgets—exposed to attack. The computer bug, nicknamed “Stagefright” after a vulnerable media library in the operating system’s open source code, may be one of the worst Android security holes discovered to date. It affects Android versions 2.2 and on(Froyo, Gingerbread, Honeycomb, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean, KitKat and Lollipop iterations).Should a hacker learn someone’s cell phone number, all it takes is for that person to send a malware-laced Stagefright multimedia message to an affected phone in order to steal its data and photos or to hijack its microphone and camera, among other nefarious actions. Worse yet, a user might have no idea that his or her device has been compromised.

Joshua Drake, vice president of research and exploitation at the mobile security firm Zimperium zLabs, says an attacker can delete the message before a victim has any idea.

Google told Fortune:

We thank Joshua Drake for his contributions. The security of Android users is extremely important to us and so we responded quickly and patches have already been provided to partners that can be applied to any device.

Most Android devices, including all newer devices, have multiple technologies that are designed to make exploitation more difficult. Android devices also include an application sandbox designed to protect user data and other applications on the device.

The problem stems from the way Android phones analyze incoming text messages. Even before you open a message, the phone automatically processes incoming media files -- including pictures, audio or video. That means a malware-laden file can start infecting the phone as soon as it's received, according Zimperium, a cybersecurity company that specializes in mobile devices.

If this sounds familiar, that's because this Android flaw is somewhat like the recent Apple text hack.

But in that case, a text message with just the right characters could freeze an iPhone or force it to restart. This Android flaw is worse, because a hacker could gain complete control of the phone: wiping the device, accessing apps or secretly turning on the camera.

Typically, in these situations, companies are given a 90-day grace period to issue a fix. It's a rule even Google abides by when it finds flaws in others' software.

But it's been 109 days, and a fix still isn't largely available. That's why Zimperium is now going public with the news.

The issue now is how quickly Google will manage to fix this for everybody. While Apple can push out updates to all iPhones, Google can't.

Google is notorious for having a fractured distribution system. Several entities stand in between Google and its users, and they routinely slow down the release of new software. There's phone carriers -- like AT&T (TTech30) and Verizon (VZTech30) -- and makers of physical devices -- like Samsung (SSNLF) -- all of which need to work together to issue software updates.

Google told CNNMoney it already sent a fix to its "partners." However, it's unclear if any of them have started pushing that out to users themselves.if at all

The researchers who found the flaws told NPR that they do not believe it is yet in use in the wild. Still, it is potentially the largest flaw ever uncovered in Android. The good news is that Google has a fix. The bad news is that Google can’t send it to most directly—it needs manufacturers and carriers to push the patch out to you. As of writing, it is unclear which devices are still at risk.

“All devices should be assumed to be vulnerable,” Drake told Forbes.

http://fortune.com/2015/07/27/stagefright-android-vulnerability-text/

http://money.cnn.com/2015/07/27/technology/android-text-hack/

http://www.wired.com/2015/07/hack-brief-android-text-attack/

http://www.cnet.com/news/researcher-finds-mother-of-all-android-vulnerabilities/

To long didn't read and especially not reading in that font. Misewell have put it in chineese

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Oh boy am I glad I don't give my number out.

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

To long didn't read and especially not reading in that font. Misewell have put it in chineese

TL;DR if you have an android phone, now's a good time to switch to iOS. And don't look back for at least a year or until android 6/7

Speedtests

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

CPU             i5-4430S

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

Quotes of Fame

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

TL;DR if you have an android phone, now's a good time to switch to iOS. And don't look back for at least a year or until android 6/7

thats what i did and all my friends

Not reading with such horrid formatting.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

thats what i did and all my friends

My next phone is going to be Windows Phone. With an android emulator to get the apps I need and use daily.

Speedtests

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

CPU             i5-4430S

Spoiler

Type            Server

Quotes of Fame

My next phone is going to be Windows Phone. With an android emulator to get the apps I need and use daily.

<3 Lumia 735

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

tl:dr android is already working on a fix

And I'm not gonna end up getting the fix on my current phone... damn htc evo 4g lte and its android 4.0 os...

Though when I get an xperia z3 then it will be all good lol.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Possible temporary fix:

What Zimperium doesn't mention is that Android already has an excellent way of blocking most Stagefright assaults: Block all text messages from unknown senders.

To do this with Android Kitkat, the most popular Android version, you open the Messenger app and tap on the menu at the top right corner of the screen (the three vertical dots) and then tap on Settings. Once there, select Block Unknown Senders, and you're done.

On Lollipop, where Hangouts is the default messaging app, there's no default way to block unknown senders. You can, however, under Settings go to Multimedia messages and turn off Auto Retrieve for multimedia messages.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/stagefright-just-how-scary-is-it-for-android-users/

Speedtests

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

CPU             i5-4430S

Spoiler

Type            Server

Quotes of Fame

Looks like I gotta go back to my IBM Simon...

First iOS, now Android (and this could be even worse...)
I'm not sure if my carrier allows me to accept multimedia messages (since I can't seem to send them) so that might keep me safe.

Motorola still hasn't OTA'd 5.1 (at least to XT1064).

Somehow my APN settings were lost (Though my Moto G's frame and display is bust)

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

First iOS, now Android (and this could be even worse...)

I'm not sure if my carrier allows me to accept multimedia messages (since I can't seem to send them) so that might keep me safe.

Motorola still hasn't OTA'd 5.1 (at least to XT1064).

Somehow my APN settings were lost (Though my Moto G's frame and display is bust)

Motorola is being smart right now.

They understand what is wrong with Android, therefor, they are with-holding 5.0 on their flagships. They want to push out one big update instead of tiny Day-0 updates.