Hey guys, im overclocking my cpu and decided to let my Rog motherboard oc my cpu. My cooler is a h220x swiftech and my cpu is an i5-4690k. My mb came up with 1.28V and 4.5GHz clockspeed. I ran Prime95 and it came to a temperature of 95 degrees after 2min. Is this okay or should I downclock my cpu?

95 degrees should come into an excessive temperature, although it should not cause any problems in the short term.\

In the long term, this will shorten your cpu lifespan.

Downclock until @ 80-85 max, or get an aftermarket cooler.

do not run prime95, its not a way to test heat it puts way more stress then you'll ever see.. use aida 64 (even the trial) or games.

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

Downclock that shit.

95 degrees is at the point where your computer will shut down bc of overheating (100 degrees) so make sure you get temperatures around 80 degrees MAX.

@wangyuji431 I have a watercooler swiftech h220x. 

@007agentHP Ill try and let you guys know

@HoiDaniel , if im not mistaken the cpu would thermalthrottle first?

It will, but you want to avoid that. Also the lifespan as mentioned earlier will decrease. Not on the short term, but it's the difference between 5 year lifespan or 8 years.

@wangyuji431 I have a watercooler swiftech h220x. 

@007agentHP Ill try and let you guys know

@HoiDaniel , if im not mistaken the cpu would thermalthrottle first?

It will, if it has the max as a boost clock, or you don't force a constant clock.

The test you have doe not accurately represent the temps; rather it is used to test the STABILITY of the overclock.

@wangyuji431 My trial of aida has already expired

@HoiDaniel , I know daniel, but are those good temps or really bad temps in prime95?

My OC rig runs up to 75 degrees under 100% load, i don't exactly remember which test.

Just trust me, bring it down to maybe 4.2/4,3 ghz.

@wangyuji431 My trial of aida has already expired

@HoiDaniel , I know daniel, but are those good temps or really bad temps in prime95?

It doesn't really matter...

Prime95 throws inconsistent temps ALL THE TIME.

@HoiDaniel @wangyuji431 Im now running aida and the temp is not going above 65 degrees, testing for 1:30min and i will let it run maybe 10-20min more, 

@HoiDaniel @wangyuji431 Im now running aida and the temp is not going above 65 degrees, testing for 1:30min and i will let it run maybe 10-20min more, 

Just try some software like CPU-Z and MSI afterburner and check what those programs say of the temperature. Just keep it under 80 degrees and when you go higher in clockspeeds, run longer tests to make sure it runs stable. When you go to sleep (and are finished, kind of) just run it over night.

This seems like a reasonable temperature for a frickin' WATERCOOLED CPU, although running it for longer is a wise choice.

@HoiDaniel , im using realtemps

@wangyuji431 , thats indeed what i should expect from a watercooled cpu, I did it a few times with a friend before, but the Volts were way to high. If this system is stable, as aida says, should i oc it even more, i mean, i have a watercooler for god sakes.

@HoiDaniel , im using realtemps

@wangyuji431 , thats indeed what i should expect from a watercooled cpu, I did it a few times with a friend before, but the Volts were way to high. If this system is stable, as aida says, should i oc it even more, i mean, i have a watercooler for god sakes.

With this setup, you are unlikely to get any discernible benefits unless you OC your GPU as well...

You are GPU bound, monsieur.

Hey guys, im overclocking my cpu and decided to let my Rog motherboard oc my cpu. My cooler is a h220x swiftech and my cpu is an i5-4690k. My mb came up with 1.28V and 4.5GHz clockspeed. I ran Prime95 and it came to a temperature of 95 degrees after 2min. Is this okay or should I downclock my cpu?

95 degrees? If thats Celcius that you should be seriously concerned... Find another way to cool that thing :P

@wangyuji431 , I dont think so monsieur, because soon..... Im gonna buy a 980ti strix which i will oc

@theereal , well, i have one of the best AIO watercoolers on the market, should i go on liquid nitrogen? btw on aida maxtemp 66 degrees celcius

@wangyuji431 , I dont think so monsieur, because soon..... Im gonna buy a 980ti strix which i will oc

Sweet! What GPU do you have now?

@wangyuji431 , the msi gtx770, i wanted a new gpu because 1: 770 has only 2gb  2: I want something futurproof that will run my rog swift monitor 144hz 1440p gsync on ultra for a few years and good graphics for another 5+ years      3: dont wanna wait for pascal because directx12 will give my gpu a good boost the next coming years

Mine runs cooler/ the same than that at the same Voltage with a 212 Evo :c

Try remounting the Block and as said above don't use Prime 95. Try Intel Burn test.

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha