Apple patents similar device to Google Cardboard

jos

Apple files for a patent that looks extremely similar to the basic concept for Google Cardboard.patent was filed for on the 16th of July, 2015, and released via the United States Patent and Trademark Office on the 23rd of July, 2015. This patent describes a "Head-mounted display apparatus for retaining a portable electronic device with display." It's a pair of glasses into which you can slide a smartphone, as you see above.

In the description for this invention, Apple suggests the following: "Using head-mounted devices, a user may view media provided by a portable electronic device. For example, a user may couple a personal electronic device, such as the iPod available from Apple Inc. of Cupertino, Calif., or the iPhone also available from Apple Inc. of Cupertino, Calif., to the head-mounted device via a cable or wire."

Apple thinks they can do anything.. Hating apple inc more than ever.. But love some of their products

Source:http://www.slashgear.com/apple-patents-google-cardboard-in-search-of-use-for-ipod-24394238/

Edited by Godlygamer23
Edited title.

And Samsung Gear VR.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

uhhh this is a bit different form Google Cardboard and Samsung VR. Less bulky structure and doesn't look as ridiculous.

googleglass_apple-778x420.jpg

The guys in the comment section all agree with us

Google and Samsung are the targets of Apple (much like every other market)

Its different, but the way patents work and the way apple works means that any device that resembles glasses, and is powered by a mobile device will fall under their patent in their eyes. 

Thanks apple! You patent the things that everyone else already uses, but where too naive to patent in the first place!

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Just cause its late doesn't mean there always copying. Click Bait title. The design is different.

Doesn't mean they won't use it for patent trolling, like they have before.

And it doesn't justify the patent.

Seriously, they got $1b from Samsung a few years ago because their devices had a rectangle shape and rounded corners. (and similarly-shaped icons)

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Not exactly Google Cardboard... Similar concept yes, but then that would be like saying Google Cardboard is similar to the Oculus Rift based on the concept; so they're not 'patenting Google Cardboard' at all really.  

EDIT: As others have said, slight click-bait title. 

uhhh this is a bit different form Google Cardboard and Samsung VR. Less bulky structure and doesn't look

There are other makers who does similar ones and still reffered as google cardboard in eBay's.. Even they agree it is google cardboard concept

Doesn't mean they won't use it for patent trolling, like they have before.

Seriously, they got $1b from Samsung a few years ago because their devices had a rectangle shape and rounded corners. (and similarly-shaped icons)

I wouldn't mind getting that kind of money for nothing :P

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

There are other makers who does similar ones and still reffered as google cardboard in eBay's.. Even they agree it is google cardboard concept

So because some eBay sellers name theirs Google Cardboard, to receive more views, it makes it Google Cardboard?

Yes, it's used more often

But the title could have been

"Apple targets VR market with new patent"

Plus eBay is filled with copies that try to fool people who aren't in the "know"

Forget the patent, highlight of that article right here...Worse part is that they'll probably do it at some point :D

watch21.jpg

.........Why Apple...............................

Apple thinks they can do anything.. 

Apple can do anything... except adequately cooling their desktops CPUs.

Joking aside Apple is the move powerful government on our planet.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

It works better with apple watch edition

And Even Better If You Put One On Your Dog!

Looks nothing like Google Cardboard... just because things are similar doesn't mean they are the same.

more options. great.

"When you're in high school you should be doing things, about which you could never tell your parents!"

it will put alot of pressure on the top of the nose.

I sense patent trolling coming in the way.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

The design is different but the patent is so freaking vague.

The portable electronic device may be operatively coupled to the head-mounted device such that the portable electronic device and head mounted device can communicate and operate with one another.

db04ea7112c524a76b549f8aa794c768.png

Damn.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

"It's super, super good

for the first time ever.

We did it again."

Someone's going to get the reference

The words that come into my head when Apple does this shet again.

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub