R9 Nano benchmarks surface

Bloodyvalley

Compute performance has it at almost the same performance as Fury, maybe priced between Fury X and Fury or the same as Fury X.

Makes we want to attempt a watercooled Hadron Air again. 

Will we see custom PCBs or coolers from AIB partners?

i5-4690K@4.5 GHz // Asus Z87-Pro // HyperX Fury 8GB DDR3-1600 // Crucial BX100 250GB // Sapphire Nitro R9 390 // EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 // Fractal Design Define S // be quiet! Pure Rock & Pure Wings 2 // BenQ XL2730Z // Corsair Vengeance K70 // Logitech G403 Wireless // Sennheiser HD 598 SE

I'm really curious about the price of this thing.  If it costs anywhere close to the Fury X, it's just not going to be worth it.  Most ITX cases are built to accommodate large cards so unless OEMs like Origin or Digital Storm make an ultra-tiny case specifically for the Nano, it makes no sense.

Now if it's priced lower between $450-$500, it might prove to be the overclocking card everyone will want to buy.

Errm yes and no. Most ITX are build to accommodate physically big gpus, but almost none of them are build to accommodate proper cooling: you're expected to use a loud and ineffective blower card. More over, most cases open up other options like larger PSUs and extra 3.5 slots or radiators if you use shorter cards so it's still an overall better option to get short itx cards since they are designed to work efficiently within all constrains, not just size constrains.

-------

Current Rig

-------

its not locked, just no one has figured out how to change the voltage. you can already change the GPU/MEM frequencies.

just wait for MSI afterburner to get support.

that's not how it works. there is no driver unlocking of voltage control, the maker of msi afterburner needs to physically have a fury x sample that he can then work with to unlock it. unlike nvidia, AMD has never "locked the voltage" and they've never released an API that allows voltage control.

I was not referring to current voltage "lock", but to current poor overclocking limitations. I'm not sure if it has to do with the driver or the API but reviewers have typically reported having a 10% if not less overclocking limit on the base clock. I know it is up to MSI afterburner to support voltage modification. However, in the case of memory clocks, it is unavailable to modify in MSI afterburner AND in AMD Catalyst, making me think that THIS could have some thing to do with drivers, therefore making me looking forward to a possible driver update "unlocking overclocking potential".

Spoiler

I was not referring to current voltage "lock", but to current poor overclocking limitations. I'm not sure if it has to do with the driver or the API but reviewers have typically reported having a 10% if not less overclocking limit on the base clock. I know it is up to MSI afterburner to support voltage modification. However, in the case of memory clocks, it is unavailable to modify in MSI afterburner AND in AMD Catalyst, making me think that THIS could have some thing to do with drivers, therefore making me looking forward to a possible driver update "unlocking overclocking potential".

again it is not locked, the GPU goes unstable and need more voltage to operate at high frequencies. to go past the 10% you need to add some voltage, that is how overclocking works.

people have already found a way to change the memory clocks, as far as I know.

every one of these in that list has overclock memory. and I read a article how its in MSI AB now

http://www.3dmark.com/search?_ga=1.35996646.716712013.1433948432#/?mode=basic&url=/proxycon/ajax/search/gpuname/fs/P/AMD%20Radeon%20R9%20Fury%20X&gpuName=AMD Radeon R9 Fury X

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

again it is not locked, the GPU goes unstable and need more voltage to operate at high frequencies. to go past the 10% you need to add some voltage, that is how overclocking works.

people have already found a way to change the memory clocks, as far as I know.

If it's supported, why does AMD lock it in Catalyst ?

Spoiler

HBM2 is not in production yet

Yes it is..?

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

it is new tech and they don't need just anyone able to mess with it. no one knows how far you can push HBM or what happens if you go too far.

it is new tech and they don't need just anyone able to mess with it. no one knows how far you can push HBM or what happens if you go too far.

...meaning it's not supported yet, hence my statement.

Spoiler

you could rape the connector like the 295x2

HA! That made me chuckle. So true. :D

I literally lol'd the moment I saw the 295x2 only had two 8-pin connectors. Only takes some simple math to realize they're pulling WAY more than those connectors are rated for.  :lol:

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

you can still do it, overclocking is never fully supported.

also I am noticing alot more Fury X's in 3Dmark having 1100+ GPU and 600+ Mem clocks. they must be upping the voltage.

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/5432448

AMD has never allowed voltage control via AMD Catalyst - even when a GPU had fully unlocked voltage. You always had to use a 3rd party overclocking tool.

Yes it is..?

HBM 2 manufacturing is ramping up, but no current products are using HBM2. Fury Nano will be using HBM1.

See above. Supported does mean they provide the option. AMD has never allowed voltage control via AMD Catalyst. You always had to use MSI Afterburner or some other 3rd party tool for voltage control. Ultimately it's up to the actual board partner whether they wish to lock voltage control via the BIOS or not.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

AMD has never allowed voltage control via AMD Catalyst - even when a GPU had fully unlocked voltage. You always had to use a 3rd party overclocking tool.

Yes, but in the case of memory clocks, AMD does not support it. They always provide the option in Catalyst, they don't with Fury lineup.

Spoiler

Yes, but in the case of memory clocks, AMD does not support it. They always provide the option in Catalyst, they don't with Fury lineup.

True - but I think there's some technical reason why Memory control hasn't been enabled yet - they are probably still refining some of the Drivers and will likely release Memory Control at the same time that Voltage Control becomes actually usable.

I personally don't think that Memory OCing is "official" yet. People have just managed to unlock it unofficially.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Memory control hasn't been enabled yet - they are probably still refining some of the Drivers and will likely release Memory Control at the same time that Voltage Control becomes actually usable.

Exactly what I'm looking forward to.

Spoiler

Exactly what I'm looking forward to.

Keep in mind what I'm saying is 100% speculation.

I'm curious what the pricing will be.  The fury is already 550, fury x 650....  could they make the nano 499?  Even though it's a full fury?  Maybe the part is binned lower that can't hit clocks as high so that makes it easier to discount.  

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

I'm curious what the pricing will be.  The fury is already 550, fury x 650....  could they make the nano 499?  Even though it's a full fury?  Maybe the part is binned lower that can't hit clocks as high so that makes it easier to discount.  

Im thinking the 470 dollar mark. It would be so much easier to predict its pricing if the 390x didnt exist.

CPU: i5 4670k | Motherboard: MSI B85I | Stock cooler | RAM: 8gb DDR3 RAM 1600mhz | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Superclocked w/ACX cooling | Storage: 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/ Window

You're going to be limited by how much power it can draw anyway - it has a single 8-pin PCIe power connector.

I suspect pricing will be around $450-500 personally.

It very well might OC like a beast, but we just don't know. Even if it does OC well, we're still likely limited by the power draw - so that means it probably won't beat out an R9 Fury.

Does anyone even care about Fury anymore?

Quite a few, while for many it does not offer compelling reason to buy it right now, it is still only the first release and we have no idea what will happen as they iron out the kinks.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Hang on, the R9 290X doesn't actually consume more than 100W over the GTX 970, and the 290X performs around the same, so AMD is actually leading in efficiency now  :blink: ?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Hang on, the R9 290X doesn't actually consume more than 100W over the GTX 970, and the 290X performs around the same, so AMD is actually leading in efficiency now :blink: ?

You can't do math. 290x tdp is 290W, 970 is 145. Now I know tdp doesn't mean consume BUT that's the number AMD is talking about.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Double post. My bad

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS