R9 Nano benchmarks surface

Bloodyvalley

@ 175watts, using less power than my overclocked HD7950 (Which is up to 210watts)

My Stock HD7950 using 180watts (7950's came out with that similar single fan cooler too)

That fan will do the job fine, not the best, but fine.

Side note - My Gigabyte 1040Mhz 290x easily surpasses 250-280watts, up to 290-305watts variable seen with GPU-Z :(

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

You can't do math. 290x tdp is 290W, 970 is 145. Now I know tdp doesn't mean consume BUT that's the number AMD is talking about.

TDP doesn't mean jack shit when the actual power consumption is completely different. Just like AMD CPU being almost dead on when it comes to TDP/power consumption unlike Intel.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

TDP doesn't mean jack shit when the actual power consumption is completely different. Just like AMD CPU being almost dead on when it comes to TDP/power consumption unlike Intel.

Every review seems to say over 100W difference as well.

http://www.techpowerup.com/mobile/reviews/Powercolor/R9_390_PCS_Plus/28.html

294 vs 181

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-amd-radeon-r9-390-8gb-review

(This is 390 vs 970 so the 290x consumes noticeably more. But 447 vs 277)

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-and-980-reference-review,7.html

286 vs 164

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

GTX 970 G1 Gaming vs R9 290X G1 gaming. Look at those then get back to me. Also, clock for clock the R9 series is better than the Nvidia equivalent.

PMSL

GTX 970 G1 Gaming vs R9 290X G1 gaming. Look at those then get back to me. Also, clock for clock the R9 series is better than the Nvidia equivalent.

Really... Are you going to start MHz warring this up? Seriously?

Clock for clock is completely irrelevant with these completely different architectures and the fact that amd gpus don't reach anywhere near the clock nvidia gpus do.

As to the g1 gaming. It has a 132% fucking power limit... What part of that card is designed to consume as much power as it can feed to you not understand? Literally there isn't a single not ridiculous version of the 970 that consumes more power... You want to cherry pick one card type but not the other?

Let's go with msi's top card for each then... Msi lightning 290x vs msi 970. No competition. 150+ W difference.

Seriously get off your bandwagon and come back to reality.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Really... Are you going to start MHz warring this up? Seriously?

Clock for clock is completely irrelevant with these completely different architectures and the fact that amd gpus don't reach anywhere near the clock nvidia gpus do.

As to the g1 gaming. It has a 132% fucking power limit... What part of that card is designed to consume as much power as it can feed to you not understand? Literally there isn't a single not ridiculous version of the 970 that consumes more power... You want to cherry pick one card type but not the other?

Let's go with msi's top card for each then... Msi lightning 290x vs msi 970. No competition. 150+ W difference.

Seriously get off your bandwagon and come back to reality.

Lmfao, what bandwagon would I happen to be on?

post-155575-0-84454600-1437701362_thumb.

Also, not the G1 but I think you got rekt:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_970_Gaming/25.html

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8568/the-geforce-gtx-970-review-feat-evga/15

PMSL

Lmfao, what bandwagon would I happen to be on?

g1.png

Also, not the G1 but I think you got rekt:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_970_Gaming/25.html

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8568/the-geforce-gtx-970-review-feat-evga/15

Btw the lightning consumes over 50-60 w more than reference so considering there is a 90? W power difference on average means point made.

Yay you found one case where it wasn't over 100 W. It was 88... Whereas I spotted you 3 and can bring many more. Point remains completely valid.

Look it's certainly less than the 150 W difference in TDP would suggest (although I argue that is due to gpu boost, but that is factored into performance so it's valid).

But on average the difference is certaintly more than 100W.

And AMD is talking about tdp, so perhaps we will find out how well the card actually draws under load.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Btw the lightning consumes over 50-60 w more than reference so considering there is a 90? W power difference on average means point made.

Yay you found one case where it wasn't over 100 W. It was 88... Whereas I spotted you 3 and can bring many more. Point remains completely valid.

It was several cases actually so please read and research before you post. Just because I say that AMD is actually doing something better than Nvidia for once doesn't mean that you need to go off the rails.

PMSL

It was several cases actually so please read and research before you post. Just because I say that AMD is actually doing something better than Nvidia for once doesn't mean that you need to go off the rails.

What I got most out of all of those benchmarks is that while AMD does use more power, their TDP rating is MUCH CLOSER to actual power consumption. NVIDIA TDP doesn't seem to really relate to power consumption at all in practice. It's some "theoretical best" that in practice is always exceeded under load.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

But it isn't... So it's not... Wrong post is wrong. Two times and both are almost 100 watts, versus all the other reviews out there...

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

What I got most out of all of those benchmarks is that while AMD does use more power, their TDP rating is MUCH CLOSER to actual power consumption. NVIDIA TDP doesn't seem to really relate to power consumption at all in practice. It's some "theoretical best" that in practice is always exceeded under load.

If I had to guess, it's what nvidia would draw if the gpu boost wasn't so aggressive. Like 980ti's boosting to 1400 Mhz instead of rated 1200.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

If I had to guess, it's what nvidia would draw if the gpu boost wasn't so aggressive. Like 980ti's boosting to 1400 Mhz instead of rated 1200.

Perhaps, but that's totally useless, since GPU boost is enabled by default.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

My post on the last page agrees.

The only time it would actually be seen then is actually worse case because then gpu boost won't go up past rated if thermals are bad. (See titan x air and many itx cases)

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

So this might replace my 970 depending.

100W Knocked off? I'm not sure I believe it. That's incredible!

Gaming with: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix OC SLI @1950mhz & r7 2700x@4.2ghz / GSkill 3466mhz CL14 (1440p165hz)
Loitering with: Galaxy S8+

100W Knocked off? I'm not sure I believe it. That's incredible!

Well it's underclocked and probably undervolted compared to fury-x. So could be true..

But it works. AMD is regarded as power hungry room heater .

I'm curious what the pricing will be.  The fury is already 550, fury x 650....  could they make the nano 499?  Even though it's a full fury?  Maybe the part is binned lower that can't hit clocks as high so that makes it easier to discount.  

It'll be binned higher, hence the great power efficiency they're claiming. A low binned chip would not manage a 100watt+ drop from losing 200mhz clock.  

AMD Ryzen 5900x, Nvidia RTX 3080 (MSI Gaming X-trio), ASrock X570 Extreme4, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200mhz CL16, Corsair MP600 1TB, Intel 660P 1TB, Corsair HX1000, Corsair 680x, Corsair H100i Platinum

But it works. AMD is regarded as power hungry room heater .

AMD is only regarded that way because of bad reference coolers for ONE SINGLE LINE of their 200 series GPU's - the 290 and 290x. The non-reference models with a decent 3rd party cooler (Tri-X, Windforce, etc) do not have that problem.

And they are only power hungry compared to NVIDIA's Maxwell. Compared to Kepler, they're pretty much head to head. And Fiji took that power draw and made it a helluva lot more efficient, since it draws a similar power load to a 290x but blows it out of the water performance wise.

AMD is only regarded that way because of bad reference coolers for ONE SINGLE LINE of their 200 series GPU's - the 290 and 290x. The non-reference models with a decent 3rd party cooler (Tri-X, Windforce, etc) do not have that problem.

And they are only power hungry compared to NVIDIA's Maxwell. Compared to Kepler, they're pretty much head to head. And Fiji took that power draw and made it a helluva lot more efficient, since it draws a similar power load to a 290x but blows it out of the water performance wise.

Never forget the Fermi line of graphics cards, or the drivers that literally cooked graphics cards!

5Cnukkl.jpg

4LNZqaC.jpg

3SBYOhc.jpg

LqDzg6J.png

g205wGq.jpg

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

@Valentyn lmfao yes so true. I don't know why people seem to forget about Fermi, and the Nuclear Reactor that it was. Fermi makes Hawaii look like a beer cooler.

@Valentyn lmfao yes so true. I don't know why people seem to forget about Fermi, and the Nuclear Reactor that it was. Fermi makes Hawaii look like a beer cooler.

Most were probably not computer enthusiasts back then; or have a severe case of selective memory. The AMD 5xxx was so much cooler, really fast, and significantly cheaper than the Fermi line.

Fermi was so bad it made the AMD 2900XT look reasonably cool, and that was always jokingly said to require it's own nuclear powerplant to run.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

I think they should have used the Fury's GPU for the Nano and have the Fury be the aircooled Fury X version. But oh well... logic I guess.

This one is also underclocked

CPU:  Intel i7-4790K      Cooler:  Noctua NH-D14     GPU: ZOTAC GTX 1070 TI MINI     Motherboard:  ASUS Z97 Gryphon     RAM:  32GB G Skill Trident X     

Storage: 2x 512GB Samsung 850 EVO (RAID 0) / 2TB Seagate Barracuda     PSU: 850W EVGA SuperNova G2     Case: Fractal Design Node 804

Most were probably not computer enthusiasts back then; or have a severe case of selective memory. The AMD 5xxx was so much cooler, really fast, and significantly cheaper than the Fermi line.

Fermi was so bad it made the AMD 2900XT look reasonably cool, and that was always jokingly said to require it's own nuclear powerplant to run.

The 5xxx was actually pretty kickass all together. AMD had a really solid lineup right through to Tahiti and the 7xxx lineup. The 2xx lineup was still good, but that's where AMD started to lag behind NVIDIA in certain areas.

It's a pretty good card and that TDP cut :o

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |