R9 Nano benchmarks surface

Bloodyvalley

It has been almost 2 months since we first heard about the existence of the R9 Nano in a rumour. Very little was known about the card then except the its name. Now however, we have pretty much all the relevant info on the Nano sized Fiji offering. We have another nano sized update today from DGLee over at IYD.KR. The pictures of the surprisingly tiny but very powerful GPU are here for everyone to see – as well as performance numbers (official).

AMD-Radeon-R9-Nano_4-635x357.jpg

A slide from the AMD Press Deck. @AMD Public Domain

Pictures of the AMD R9 Nano surface – official performance and efficiency numbers revealed

The R9  Fury X is tiny, at around 19 centimetres but the R9 Nano is well, nano, measuring in at only 15 centimetres. Its small form factor design would enable it to be fitted in the tiniest mini-iTX casings out there and its impressive efficiency would enable it to be remarkably powerful at the same time. The card rocks an allegedly full sized Fiji core with 4096 SPs. It is touted as being an efficiency monster with the same performance as the Radeon R9 290X but half the power draw. This is a remarkable card in any way you consider it and here is a good luck at the the shape of the card itself.

Pictures courtesy of DGLee @IYD.KR

The card features a tiny heatsink (by GPU standards) and a lone single axial cooler. If the chip is indeed the full Fiji die then I would assume it is going to be clocked low for it to be efficient enough (and not overwhelm the modest heat dissipation equipment). Now that I have mentioned that, I cant help but wonder what would happen if someone were to mod onto it an after-market heatsink with double or tipple the heat dissipation capacity. Ofcourse, AMD has probably used cherry picked chips in the Fury Nano, so I wouldn’t be surprised if its actually priced higher or near the Fury X (caution: opinion).

Its time for the benchmark and efficiency numbers provided by AMD. The benchmarking by AMD was conducted at rig rocking an i7-5960X (no CPU bottlenecking of any sort) and X99 setup with ample ram. The program used was the Unigine Heaven Benchmark at its 4K settings (3840×2160 resolution, Extreme present, 0xAA). Now we know the Fury Nano has a TDP of 175W and AMD has obligingly given the efficiency numbers for both cards.

nano_footnote-635x127.jpg

Pictures courtesy of DGLee @IYD.KR

The R9 Fury Nano has an efficiency of 0.152 fps/Watt at the above settings in this 4K benchmark, whileas the R9 290X has an efficiency of 0.076 fps. Simply multiplying the efficiency by the TDP we arrive at the actual score of the R9 Nano: 26.6 frames per second at a 4K benchmark – not bad at all. Ofcourse its worth noting that running a benchmark in 4K fully exploits the HBM capability of the Nano, so the efficiency difference might not be as high at lower resolutions where the HBM factor does not come into play. These are after all the official numbers, so it would be exceedingly unwise to take them without a grain of salt. 

It is also worth noting that while the bandwidth of the R9 290X is 320GB/s it only has 2816 stream processors so the Bandwidth Per SP of the R9 290x is 0.1136 GB/s. On the other hand the Nano (if the rumors are true) has 4096 SPs with 512 GB/s bandwidth – the effective Bandwidth Per SP becomes 0.1250 GB/s. So when you take a look at the full picture, it isn’t actually that huge of a difference as one might think at first glance. In a way the Fiji Core is not benefiting as much as it could from the HBM due to the fact that it has such a large number of cores. Needless to say, HBM2 should be quite a step up from the HBM1 used here.

7384386988ddf657952f16ec9b49341c.png
Perfect for LAN rigs

so its pretty much a fury x in a smaller form the is also more power efficient?

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

so its pretty much a fury x in a smaller form the is also more power efficient?

pretty much the same as a 290X but with better efficiency and less power consumption

pretty much the same as a 290X but with better efficiency and less power consumption

HBM2 is not in production yet

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

also has HBM2

HBM is not out yet.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

It's a downclocked fury x but I'd love of see a waterblock for it and see what it could achieve.

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

Nothing has HBM2 memory at this point in time...

HBM2 is not in production yet

yeah I missread

Hmm so it's just an underclocked fury x.

I guess the underclock allows them to effectively cool it with just one fan.

I don't think that cooler will do a good job

Error: 451                             

I'm not copying helping, really :P

16lMPiE.gif

DGLee calculated that to be 24FPS for R9 Nano and 18.4FPS for R9 290X in Unigine Heaven 4K. hmmm, like 30% is pretty good

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Full FIJI, that is interesting. that could be a great card to water cool and OC.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Full FIJI, that is interesting. that could be a great card to water cool and OC.

Exactly what I was thinking. AMD better release a good driver for HBM that unlocks overclocking potential and I just might get two of these with waterblocks.

Spoiler

I think it's worth getting this over the fury... Waterblock and/or custom cooler may allow you to get up to Fury X clocks

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I think they should have used the Fury's GPU for the Nano and have the Fury be the aircooled Fury X version. But oh well... logic I guess.

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

Nice card, but this is confusing me.

Assuming that it has the same specs as the Fury X;

How does the nano keep cool whereas the Fury X needed an AIO? To make a big deal out of AIOs and then suddenly trying to kill off the idea is not the smartest PR move I have seen.

If the nano can do the cooling well, then what exactly is the point of the Fury X? Not exactly a stopgap solution as the Titan X was, as they were announced on the same day.

How does it maintain those specs at an even smaller form factor? I am guessing that the VRMs have reduced in size.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

Nice card, but this is confusing me.

Assuming that it has the same specs as the Fury X;

How does the nano keep cool whereas the Fury X needed an AIO? To make a big deal out of AIOs and then suddenly trying to kill off the idea is not the smartest PR move I have seen.

If the nano can do the cooling well, then what exactly is the point of the Fury X? Not exactly a stopgap solution as the Titan X was, as they were announced on the same day.

How does it maintain those specs at an even smaller form factor? I am guessing that the VRMs have reduced in size.

It runs at 850 MHz apparently (Fury X is like 1050 MHz or so). Sadly you cannot put a water block and OC it, as it only has 1 8 pin power connecter.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Exactly what I was thinking. AMD better release a good driver for HBM that unlocks overclocking potential and I just might get two of these with waterblocks.

its not locked, just no one has figured out how to change the voltage. you can already change the GPU/MEM frequencies.

just wait for MSI afterburner to get support.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

that's not how it works. there is no driver unlocking of voltage control, the maker of msi afterburner needs to physically have a fury x sample that he can then work with to unlock it. unlike nvidia, AMD has never "locked the voltage" and they've never released an API that allows voltage control.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Even though it's clocked lower and the voltage probably went down with it, I imagine at 175 watts this might still get quite toasty and loud.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

It runs at 850 MHz apparently (Fury X is like 1050 MHz or so). Sadly you cannot put a water block and OC it, as it only has 1 8 pin power connecter.

you could rape the connector like the 295x2

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

you could rape the connector like the 295x2

I guess it depends on the VRM of the card. Maybe beefing it up would help keep it cooler, but not sure. It's going to be very interesting to see though.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

I'm really curious about the price of this thing.  If it costs anywhere close to the Fury X, it's just not going to be worth it.  Most ITX cases are built to accommodate large cards so unless OEMs like Origin or Digital Storm make an ultra-tiny case specifically for the Nano, it makes no sense.

Now if it's priced lower between $450-$500, it might prove to be the overclocking card everyone will want to buy.

CPU: Intel i7 4790k @4.7ghz - RAM: HyperX Savage 16GB DDR3 Memory @2400mhz - GPU: Nvidia GTX 970 3.5GB @1500mhz - Mobo: Gigabyte Gaming 7 Z97 - Storage: Win10 on 240GB HyperX Predator m.2 SSD, - Ubuntu w/ Gnome 3 on 80GB OCZ Vertex 3 - 500GB Samsung 850 Evo Game Installs - 5TB mass storage - Monitor: 21:9 3440x1440 LG 34UM95 - PSU: Corsair RM 750w - Case: Silverstone FT01 - Cooling: Custom Water Loop

It's such a cute little card with the one fan.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

I don't trust these numbers, even moreso than I normally don't trust numbers from AMD/NVidia. AMD skewed the numbers for FuryX, what's to say they're not doing the same thing here? I'm going to wait until it gets released and benchmarks from reviewers come out.

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!