I'm arguing about the term 'Indian" with someone.

Realist Peter Pan

They are writing a paper on Native Americans, but insists on writing it to the time period of what they were referred to, "Indians", but I counter that we need to call them by their correct term, "Native Muricans". (Americans I keed) Am I right to say that we should refer to them as what they geographically are, or should they be referred to as what they were believed to be? 

EDIT:

I know why they were called 'Indians', I'm just asking whether it's better to refer to them as what they were defined by in the time period, or by their geographically correct terminology.  

EDIT EDIT:

Thanks guys she has conceded defeat

Trigger warning!

MEN: 1 WOMEN: 0

read my messages in a gleeful tone. 

They are writing a paper on Native Americans, but insists on writing it to the time period of what they were referred to, "Indians", but I counter that we need to call them by their correct term, "Native Muricans". (Americans I keed) Am I right to say that we should refer to them as what they geographically are, or should they be referred to as what they were believed to be? 

Indians still make me think of a country with a billion people in the square mileage of a shoe. I would say Native Americans.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Both terms work.

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

Indians still make me think of a country with a billion people in the square mileage of a shoe. I would say Native Americans.

Exactly, I think the geography is more appropriate than another group of people defining them. 

If hes writing it historically accurate, then the term indian is just fine. Thats what they used then, and what a lot of people still use now.

If hes trying to be a social justice warrior, and wants to use the politically correct, but necessarily not the ideologically correct term, than native american works. I say ideologically, because some people have come to calling Mayans, and tribesmen of the southern americas as "native americans" when even during that period of time they were called either savages, natives, or indians, depending on culture and time period.

Personally, i prefer the term native. Remove american from it all together.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Techincally they're completely different, and in my eyes they are.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Apparently the Vikings were more "native" than the Native Americans.

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

reason native americans were called indians is because the people who came here thought they were in india not in the americas hense why native americans were called indians.

askdjfasdf

If hes writing it historically accurate, then the term indian is just fine. Thats what they used then, and what a lot of people still use now.

If hes trying to be a social justice warrior, and wants to use the politically correct, but necessarily not the ideologically correct term, than native american works. I say ideologically, because some people have come to calling Mayans, and tribesmen of the southern americas as "native americans" when even during that period of time they were called either savages, natives, or indians, depending on culture and time period.

No it's nothing related to SJWs, I'm just arguing that geographically that is what they should be called, not by their mistaken identities with modern knowledge. 

No, doesn't matter if he's writing something about what people used to call them (out of bigotry or ignorance).

Indians are from India,  Native Americans are Native Americans.

This.

They aren't Indians and calling them that is stupid.

Both terms work.

No.

Well you know, they were called Indian because Columbus thought he arrived to the Far East

I thought he called them Indios, not Indians?

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

The only way "Indians" would be acceptable is if he's writing a period-fiction where the characters are using period-appropriate vocabulary.   Use of "Indians" in any other context would be inappropriate.

CPU: Intel i7 4790k @4.7ghz - RAM: HyperX Savage 16GB DDR3 Memory @2400mhz - GPU: Nvidia GTX 970 3.5GB @1500mhz - Mobo: Gigabyte Gaming 7 Z97 - Storage: Win10 on 240GB HyperX Predator m.2 SSD, - Ubuntu w/ Gnome 3 on 80GB OCZ Vertex 3 - 500GB Samsung 850 Evo Game Installs - 5TB mass storage - Monitor: 21:9 3440x1440 LG 34UM95 - PSU: Corsair RM 750w - Case: Silverstone FT01 - Cooling: Custom Water Loop

The only way "Indians" would be acceptable is if he's writing a period-fiction where the characters are using period-appropriate vocabulary.   Use of "Indians" in any other context would be inappropriate.

That is an acceptable interpretation. 

"Some American Indians prefer the term American Indian over Native American for specific reasons." 

http://www.learnnc.org/lp/editions/nc-american-indians/5526

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

I still use indians since that's what i was taught

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Personally, i prefer the term native. Remove american from it all together.

native of what? The point of calling them native american is saying that they are native to that country

Apparently the Vikings were more "native" than the Native Americans.

dunno if the vikings migrated to Americas before the siberians...

No it's nothing related to SJWs, I'm just arguing that geographically that is what they should be called, not by their mistaken identities with modern knowledge. 

I see your point, but history can't be ignored. 

If anything, he should use a mix of the terms. When paraphrasing or using material from that time, he should use the term that people of the time used. To not do so would discredit his report. But in relevance to today, she should try to use the term that we use today, so if anything, a mix of the two when appropriate would be best.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

completely depends on the piece.

if its research paper, native american would work better. if it's a fiction piece, or something with dialogue, Indian would be a better fit. 

this huge push for political correctness is killing me. We joke my nephew who is black was left out in the sun to long because he's adopted into white family.my black buddy makes more black jokes then anyone ever should. also works at mcdonald's, and makes jokes to me like "we dont serve whites here" which in reverse or any sense really is fucking horrible, but we are all friends so who cares.

people on facebook where getting offended because they where called rednecks. like who cares. I understand showing respect, but not everything has to be 100% correct all the time. your should have fun in life and loosen up. 

/rant

OP, Native american is the correct way most likely. should go with it because school project and professionalism 

native of what? The point of calling them native american is saying that they are native to that country

dunno if the vikings migrated to Americas before the siberians...

The Vikings came but they did not stay.

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

Native American. 

No, doesn't matter if he's writing something about what people used to call them (out of bigotry or ignorance).

This.

They aren't Indians and calling them that is stupid.

No.

I thought he called them Indios, not Indians?

Indios is indians in Spanish

This is a signature.

Haha made my night

My Computer

Beef Cake

Intel i5 4690k @ 3.5GHz - EVGA 970 FTW - ASRock Z97 Extreme3 - Kingston HyperX Fury 8Gb 1866MHz - 120GB Samsung Evo - 1TB Toshiba Drive - 320GB Samsung Barracuda - Corsair 500M