Stripped screws :/

Go to solution Solved by Guest,

id try the epoxy trick, how bad is the screw stripped? like just a little on the screw head or are all the aligning +s gone? try using a flat head bit at an angle. sometimes works for me. that dont work epoxy trick and if that dont work then idk. not sure if it voids the warranty doing that 

It's stripped pretty badly. Warranty is already void lol.

I was taking the cooler off of my Titan X. Everything was going great. Then, I came across 3 screws that were in too tight. I stripped them due to their poor quality. I have tried many screw drivers and a rubber band. I am NOT going to use a Dremel. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

You could mail it to me and I would be happy to troubleshoot that free Titan X....

No guarantee on safe returns though!

When in doubt, re-format.

can drill screws out...

[spoiler=Blue^3http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/388528-blue3/ I5 4690k | Asrock Z97 Pro4 mATX | RAM: Corsair Vengeance (2x4GB) Blue Edition and Corsair Vengeance (2x4GB) Black Edition | GPU: XFX DD R9 390x | PSU: Corsair AX760 | SSD: Samsung 840- 120GB | Hard Drives: 2x1TB WD Blue | Watercooling Kit: XSPC Raystorm 240 

which screws were they? I have gotten screws out by dipping my screwdriver in two part epoxy and putting it in the screw and letting it dry.

The m2.5 screws that cover most of the cooler.

Can you grip the screw head? Pliers? 

You either used the wrong screwdriver bit or you used a cheap screwdriver

you dont strip GPU screws because of "bad quality"

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

can drill screws out...

Only option?

I was taking the cooler off of my Titan X. Everything was going great. Then, I came across 3 screws that were in too tight. I stripped them due to their poor quality. I have tried many screw drivers and a rubber band. I am NOT going to use a Dremel. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Either cut a slot into the head of the screw to be able to remove it, drill it out using a left hand drill bit which should grab the thread and back it out of the heatsink section.

Either cut a slot into the head of the screw to be able to remove it, drill it out using a left hand drill bit which should grab the thread and back it out of the heatsink section.

I have used a dremmel's cutting wheel to put a slot in screws before and use a flathead to remove it. but OP said no dremmels

You either used the wrong screwdriver bit or you used a cheap screwdriver

you dont strip GPU screws because of "bad quality"

I've seen others with that issue, every other screw came out fine and these 3 screws were in really tight for no reason

Can you grip the screw head? Pliers? 

Nope

I swear you are the 3rd person to have this issue with that card in the last week.

Official Profile for Addon Customs LTD and Custom Acrylics
Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.

I have used a dremmel's cutting wheel to put a slot in screws before and use a flathead to remove it. but OP said no dremmels

It would be a solution be a bit risky, I still recommend using left hand drill bits it works great for removing screws.

I swear you are the 3rd person to have this issue with that card in the last week.

Yeah, it's just too loud for me so I was putting on the EVGA ACX 2.0 cooler. I may try to take apart the cooler and knock out the screws from behind. 

I recommend trying the epoxy trick first if you have some. If not, buy some screw removal bits (the left hand bits that @W-L has mentoined, they work pretty well most of the time) and drilling them out.

"LTT's official.."STOP. I promise you aren't LTT's official bagel eater or whatever. Trust me. 

I've seen others with that issue, every other screw came out fine and these 3 screws were in really tight for no reason

Screws are usually put in by machines, and if they are not set correctly the screws can be put in too tight

but if it could go in, then it can also come out

you just need to apply a lot of downward pressure while turning

not enough down pressure =  stripped screws

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Screws are usually put in by machines, and if they are not set correctly the screws can be put in too tight

but if it could go in, then it can also come out

you just need to apply a lot of downward pressure while turning

not enough down pressure =  stripped screws

I was putting all of my weight on it (a decent amount :() and it still would not turn. I tried taking the cooler off last month with the same result. 

I was putting all of my weight on it (a decent amount :() and it still would not turn. I tried taking the cooler off last month with the same result. 

Do you have , by any chance , a M1 / M2 drill bit ? 

The Subwoofer 

Ryzen 7 1700  /// Noctua NH-L9X65 /// Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1200PWM

ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac /// 16GB DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ 3066Mhz

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

Samsung 960EVO 250GB + WD Blue 2TB

Do you have , by any chance , a M1 / M2 drill bit ? 

Probably

Probably

You could try drilling thru the center of the screw .. Either till you hit the end of the screwhead or drill all the way down in hopes that will loosen it up enough .. 

The Subwoofer 

Ryzen 7 1700  /// Noctua NH-L9X65 /// Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1200PWM

ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac /// 16GB DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ 3066Mhz

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

Samsung 960EVO 250GB + WD Blue 2TB

I had the same problem when taking off my Titan X cooler to install the evga hybrid kit. In the end I took the smallest drill bit I had and drilled through the middle of the screw, the head of the screw got off allowing me to remove the cooler and the finally totally removed the rest of the screw with pliers. Be careful and everything should be fine. Don't forget that some of the Titan X screws are Philipps #000, if you don't use the correct screwdriver you will get stripped screws.

Good luck, it's not hard but it's stressing as hell! I got that feeling too

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K @4.6GHz- Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61- Motherboard: MSI Z97 XPOWER AC - RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengence Pro 2400MHz- GPU: EVGA Titan X SC with Hybrid Cooler @1495Mhz Case: Corsair 780T White - Storage: 120GB Corsair LS SSD+ 500GB 850Evo + 250GB 850Evo + 2TB HDD - PSU: Cougar GX900 - Mouse: Logitech G502 - Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2014 -Headphone: Logitech G430 - Monitor: LG 34UM95 3440x1440

CPU: Intel Core i7-2700K Cooler: Hyper 212EVO - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68A-D3-B3 - RAM: 3x4GB Corsair Vengence Pro 1600MHz- GPU: Gygabite 980Ti G1 Gaming- Case: Corsair 400R - Storage:  500GB 530Series SSD + 2TB HDD - PSU: Corsair TX650 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: CODE Keyboard MX Clear Monitor: 3x Acer G276HL Surround MacBook Pro Retina 15" mid-2015 i7 2.8Ghz - 512GB SSD - AMD 370X

Titan X PlastiDipped : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448816-titan-x-hybrid-painting/

id try the epoxy trick, how bad is the screw stripped? like just a little on the screw head or are all the aligning +s gone? try using a flat head bit at an angle. sometimes works for me. that dont work epoxy trick and if that dont work then idk. not sure if it voids the warranty doing that 

It's stripped pretty badly. Warranty is already void lol.