What happens IF AMD goes out of business?

IMPERIUS

If they do, all manner of competition is out of the window between AMD and NVIDIA, and AMD and Intel.

You can argue that Intel and NVIDIA are better than AMD all you want, but the fact of the matter is, if AMD basically dies, so does the competition. And if that happens, performance increases will stall.

And they are doing a terrible job at actually competing in the recent years. Especially on the CPU side of things.

There's still Zen to account for.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

nvidia and intel won't let AMD go completely out of business because of anti-trust issues

This ^^^^

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

nvidia and intel won't let AMD go completely out of business because of anti-trust issues

This.

Nvidia would be a monopoly and prices would rise.

You're not allowed to have a full monopoly on a competitive market. That is the reason there is the anti-trust law. If amd goes bankrupt goes under etc, there would be strict regulations and possibly even the ban of sales until another manufacturer was to enter the cpu / gpu markets respectively. 

Yeah, as has been said, if AMD go out of business, then intel and nvidia will likely have to be split up due to monopolisation of the market, which causes anti-trust issues. However, if Zen and arctic islands are as good as they should be, we'll have skylake and pascal level performance coming from AMD, which will really shake up the market again. If that fails, samsung would be my favourites to snap AMD up and hopefully take on intel full force.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

If AMD went under the x86 license would likely be thrown to nVidia and Intel would go about acquiring AMDs graphical IP and that is where the competition will likely lie.  The best outcome if AMD failed is for that to happen, AND for IBM to maybe purchase nVidia.  It would make for some extremely crazy competition, and a lot of fun for us, but alas--IBM will likely not touch us consumers for a long time or never again.  

There's still Zen to account for.

Not holding my breath.

Especially not after the disaster that was Bulldozer, for how much it was hyped for.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

nVidia and intel would rape us.

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

Hi!

Just wondered what would happen if AMD goes bankrupt, then only intel and nvidia would be on the market.

What would that mean for the consumer?

I think (I'm just a noob) the prices will go up and and the development will slow down cuz there is no competition.

Your thoughts?

Hope that doesent happen, without competition it gives nvidia the opportunity to spew out overpriced crap.

Not holding my breath.

Especially not after the disaster that was Bulldozer, for how much it was hyped for.

Eh, never say never.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

Not a good question to ask on these forums,  your most likely answers will be along the lines of:

1. The sun will collapse in on itself and we will all get sucked into a black hole.

2. We will all be paying 5 times as much for entry level nvidia GPU

3. Intel will now charge $1000 for an i3

4. Anti monopoly laws will force intel and or nvidia to split into smaller competing companies.

I can tell you right now, Hardly anyone on this forum knows shit about what would happen and so far option number 1 is the most likely.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

they will probably be picked up by someone lese but if that doesnt happen the cards/CPU2S will become collection items driver support for everything will end, sad story

This.

You're not allowed to have a full monopoly on a competitive market. That is the reason there is the anti-trust law. If amd goes bankrupt goes under etc, there would be strict regulations and possibly even the ban of sales until another manufacturer was to enter the cpu / gpu markets respectively. 

That would never happen. It also depends on the country (For me it's EU and these laws on anti-competitive actions are relaxed)

Maybe fines, but its almost impossible to prove that Nvidia is doing anything wrong as their manufacturing costs may fluctuate e.t.c.

That would never happen. It also depends on the country (For me it's EU and these laws on anti-competitive actions are relaxed)

Maybe fines, but its almost impossible to prove that Nvidia is doing anything wrong as their manufacturing costs may fluctuate e.t.c.

It has nothing to do with them doing anything wrong. It is federal and international law. There are many versions of the anti-trust law for different countries they all do the same thing. And yes it CAN happen. And has happened before.

Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo all use AMD. There not going anywhere. All three companies have really smart people making these decisions. I feel really bad for the people buying g3258's and i3's for budget gaming.  The FX line will be here for a while too. It is just taking a while for gaming software to catch up. 

Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo all use AMD. There not going anywhere. All three companies have really smart people making these decisions. I feel really bad for the people buying g3258's and i3's for budget gaming. The FX line will be here for a while too. It is just taking a while for gaming software to catch up.

No, amd just made a terrible decision when they decided to scrap the phenoms and replace them with a lineup of CPUs with the IPC of 2007 C2Qs.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I see Microsoft buying them before they let them go under. 

See I'm a 21st century digital boy,
I don't know how to live but I've got a lot of toys. 

Intel and nVidia will sit on their asses for a few years until someone else comes along...

Hi!

Just wondered what would happen if AMD goes bankrupt, then only intel and nvidia would be on the market.

What would that mean for the consumer?

I think (I'm just a noob) the prices will go up and and the development will slow down cuz there is no competition.

Your thoughts?

Stupid America/EU

will force intel and nivida to split

beacuse (America/EU) thier unlogical Bastards

I hope they go out of business, then ATI comes back with some legitimate CPUs and GPUs. Not just rebrands.

Post 1 (OP): Fortunately Investors or the US government would protect AMD if such a thing was to happen, I do however say that this question has been asked numerous times and getting rather dull, AMD is not going to go bankrupt. As their top tier GPUs are really price competitive and provide similar performance for less. The only disadvantage I do see is the lack of certain things that Nvidia has (such as GameStream) that could AMD back...

Post 2: No that wouldn't happen, if AMD was to go bust all the US government would do is provide AMD protection from their debts if they were unable to pay them. if AMD were to file for bankruptcy it would most likely file under Chapter 11 to allow AMD to continue on but allow AMD to reorganize to pay their creditors.

Post 3: That most likely wouldn't happen, in the event of AMD going bust. AMD most likely wouldn't spin off ATI since AMD wouldn't have the funds to do so since they'd be in a financial stand-still to begin with.

@Shin-Gouki

That might suck for Sony, though I guess if that were to happen and Nvidia could make a more powerful version of their X1 CPU and whatever GPU they pair with that.

Frankly if I felt it was feasible for a teen to own stock, I'd consider buying some AMD stock just because I sort of like AMD because they're the underdog brand and they're not properly represent which is to some of their own fault but AMD just can't afford the R&D budget that Intel or Nvidia has. Which is why I do hope that AMD gets the R9 400 series out before Q3 2016 because I plan on building my first PC around that time. PC ports also tend to prefer AMD's GPUs and instead of buying a console that's sort of why I'd want an AMD GPU but the only issue is AMD doesn't have anything like the Shield Console that could stream games. Though I think that might clash with either Nvidia patents or trademarks which is really a shame.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

They couldn't, then NVIDIA would have a monopoly. AMD would get government funding(?) correct me if I am wrong.

PC SPECS: Athlon 860k, MSI 380 4GB, 8GB memory, 1TB HDD, Fractal Design Core 1000

Intel still needs x86_64...........

Monopoly, anti trust things.....

Plus Intel isn't going anywhere much atm as Moore's law is in place..........

Wouldn't mind seeing Samsung branching out into the market they pretty much do everything else

Less competition is never a good thing for consumers.  Intel & Nvidia will have a monopoly which means higher prices for us.  The Nvidia prices are getting out of hand as it is... it'll only get worse if AMD is out of the picture.

Hope that someone buys AMD (or someone buys their CPU arm and someone else their ATI/GPU arm) if they can't get back up.

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr

Nvidia and Intel will rule the PC world.

That'll be a problem in germany because there are no Monopols allowed...

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

No, amd just made a terrible decision when they decided to scrap the phenoms and replace them with a lineup of CPUs with the IPC of 2007 C2Qs.

They should start producing Phenom II's with 8 cores... 

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG