300 gig disk

1funnygame

That's...useful. 

More advancement in tech is always good though.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

"End of 2015" Not really soon...

Don't really see the point of it. Internet streaming is the way to go for movies.

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

"End of 2015" Not really soon...

Don't really see the point of it. Internet streaming is the way to go for movies.

its only about 2 years i think that's pretty soon

And maybe you have better internet than me because steaming 4k is impossible for me and most of the world

oh dear was that YOUR computer i just downloaded a few dozen viruses on when you weren't paying attention?

Im guessing, like mentioned by marto that this is for 4k content (maybe PlayStation games as well?)

Although we are moving towards streaming and other online content delivery systems i dont think they are going to replace physical disks anytime soon. Far too many people have poor internet connection or low data caps to prevent this. Secondly i know many people (myself included) that actually likes to own the physical disk (some sort of emotional or mental attachment). Also not to forget that many people buy DVDs/Blu rays etc as presents so there is certainly demand.

2015 is a long way away though sadly.

|i5 3570k @4.4Ghz | Asus Maximus V Gene | 8gb Corsair XMS3 | 2 x MSI HD7970 OC @ 1175mhz | 512gb Crucial M4 | Corsair AX750 | Fractal Design Define Mini | Dell P2416D 

its only about 2 years i think that's pretty soon

And maybe you have better internet than me because steaming 4k is impossible for me and most of the world

As 4K becomes more common, better ways of compressing video will come out, which makes it easier for people to stream 4K video. 

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

As 4K becomes more common, better ways of compressing video will come out, which makes it easier for people to stream 4K video.

you can only compress so much and i can only just handle 1080p video streaming 4k is 4 times the size (of course not exactly but still much bigger)

And I'd much rather have a raw video file for better quality

oh dear was that YOUR computer i just downloaded a few dozen viruses on when you weren't paying attention?

Awesome.

The new consoles are going to be able to display 4K video, so this should help! Especially when nearly no one has enough bandwidth to stream 4K anyway  <_<

if they dont bring fast internet to my parents house, there is still going to be no way of streaming content above 720p. so this might actually bring back sales of disc so people in the outskirts of city internet, DSL or less, can play 4k content. that is unless some genius figures out how to compress 4k into something small enough to be considered 1080p content by todays standards. 

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

The technology is there for everyone to have very good internet speeds, problem is the companies don't want to put forth the effort to do it without wanting a huge pricetag.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

._. you can say that again, I can stream 480p on a good day!

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

._. you can say that again, I can stream 480p on a good day!

Psh, I can't even load the forums if it's raining. :p

Psh, I can't even load the forums if it's raining. :P

,_, feels

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

I was expecting solid state storage to be the next medium for files to large for the net.  Optical discs just feel so awkward an ancient nowadays.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

people still use disks? I though everything was on a harddrive, SSD, or getting streamed from the internet...

people still use disks? I though everything was on a harddrive, SSD, or getting streamed from the internet...

Most people have, except for businesses and people who don't have fast enough Internet to stream at least 720p from Netflix/YouTube.

Plus, I like having a physical disc, I have more control over it.

It seems they're trying to save the optical market with 4K, but they'll probably only end up killing it. 1080p and BD adoption was a long and bloody road, which pretty much ended only when they jerked SD televisions away from people, and it's going to be hard selling this snake oil when most people can't even tell the difference between 720p and 1080p, or even 480p and 720p a lot of the time.

People have pointed out better compression standards will be along for 4K, and they will, but I'm afraid when H.265 halves bitrates and 4K quadruples the bitrate requirement that's not going to help a lot. That's especially true when you consider the piss-poor state most of western world's internet infrastructure is in.

Case: Fractal Design Define R3 | MoBo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k @ 4.6GHz | CPU Heatsink: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO | GPU: MSI R9 280X @ 1150/1700  | RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600MHz | Sound Card: ASUS Xonar DG | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB (WD1001FALS)

Hmm, I think reason they try to save the optical market is they invested a lot of money into it. Also, in 2015 , 256GB SSD will be super cheap and it might be a better choice XD

No, the reason they're trying to save the optical market is because they make more money off of selling a BluRay than from a deal with Netflix or a digital download service like Amazon, iTunes, PSN, etc.. They hope a 4K standard will make the more traditional (read: profitable) medium seem more attractive, because who can afford or stand to download or stream a 15-20Gbps film with today's slow downstream speeds and bandwidth caps? Unfortunately for them they've forgotten that CDs lost the war against 128kb AAC/MP3.

Case: Fractal Design Define R3 | MoBo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k @ 4.6GHz | CPU Heatsink: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO | GPU: MSI R9 280X @ 1150/1700  | RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600MHz | Sound Card: ASUS Xonar DG | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB (WD1001FALS)

No, the reason they're trying to save the optical market is because they make more money off of selling a BluRay than from a deal with Netflix or a digital download service like Amazon, iTunes, PSN, etc.. They hope a 4K standard will make the more traditional (read: profitable) medium seem more attractive, because who can afford or stand to download or stream a 15-20Gbps film with today's slow downstream speeds and bandwidth caps? Unfortunately for them they've forgotten that CDs lost the war against 128kb AAC/MP3.

1080p on netflix looks the same as 720p  because all of the compression  :(

optical isnt going anywhere

there will be a market for optical until internet gets better just like what you said

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

don t forget 4k wasn t the only new tv definition beeing pushed, 8k, or 16k is next, now try to fit a 16k movie on dvds... you ll swap often...

the 300g disk will be ready for that.

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

you know the proper time to be shocked if someone uses a disc is probably 5-10 years from now. i get 230kbps tops and it would be faster for me to travel 1 hour and get a disc copy of a game and watch a movie then come back to install and play the game.

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

1080p on netflix looks the same as 720p  because all of the compression  :(

optical isnt going anywhere

there will be a market for optical until internet gets better just like what you said

No, what I was saying is that people care more about convenience than quality. The industry is wagering that people will take the bait of 4K and chain themselves to optical media for a good long while, until they have to bait the hook again. I'm wagering that people will accept a cheaper, more convenient and lower quality product (streaming, digital downloads), which will only get better as compression technologies improve, opposed to the alternative (optical media) which is more expensive and less convenient. It's already happening with BluRay. Even with something as low as a 5Mb connection. Netflix is to the point where most people (usually the less technically inclined, who are the great majority of consumers) is indistinguishable from BluRay.

don t forget 4k wasn t the only new tv definition beeing pushed, 8k, or 16k is next, now try to fit a 16k movie on dvds... you ll swap often...

the 300g disk will be ready for that.

I really wish they'd stop trying to convince people they need cinema-level resolutions for their 40-60" televisions. I guess it's like phones, push megapixels higher because bigger numbers sell. Nevermind the other problems that produces. More is better, right? :rolleyes:

I guess if anything pushing crazy over-the-top standards will force entities like ISPs to provide better, cheaper and less limiting backbones and plans. Or they'll just act like they usually do, and fight tooth and nail to destroy it or mold it in their favor. Most television/satellite services still don't offer 1080p for general broadcasts, and they seem to get away with it just fine. :ph34r: