300 gig disk

1funnygame

I wasn't referring to industrial backup/data solutions (especially not tape) I was referring to consumer software like movies and programs were net access is not viable like initial os installation.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

You could hold your OS,personal files, and games on this drive. I don't think a 4k blu ray will be 300gb because regular blu rays today are around 40gbs.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Hory carp! (miss spelling intentional)

I can store my entire laptop hard drive on just one disk!... then I can move it over to my desktop and access my entire laptop data from a disk on my desktop.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

people still use disks? I though everything was on a harddrive, SSD, or getting streamed from the internet...

Imagine that you're a working professional photographer, and you just shot someones wedding. After the editing and selecting process, say you have 450 images. Each image is 10MBs, that's 4.5GBs of images. Now, if you had to deliever digital files to a client, you'd have three options. Upload to a file sharing/ftp site (would take forever), but a $10 usb, or use 1 $0.25 DVD

The choice is obvious.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Imagine that you're a working professional photographer, and you just shot someones wedding. After the editing and selecting process, say you have 450 images. Each image is 10MBs, that's 4.5GBs of images. Now, if you had to deliever digital files to a client, you'd have three options. Upload to a file sharing/ftp site (would take forever), but a $10 usb, or use 1 $0.25 DVD

The choice is obvious.

My wedding photos came on a 16G sony USB drive. Its quicker, easier, much more convenient that optical and in the end I get a 16G drive.  It looks much better for his business.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

My wedding photos came on a 16G sony USB drive. Its quicker, easier, much more convenient that optical and in the end I get a 16G drive.  It looks much better for his business.

How many photos did you get?

Also, how would it look better?

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

How many photos did you get?

Also, how would it look better?

500 odd, only about 2 or 3 gigs worth, I can't quite remember.

The photo quality would be exactly the same, I meant the fact that I was given a USB drive as opposed to a disc looks better. To me anyway, I felt it was a more professional approach.

I think this might end up to be pretty cheap storage €/gig because there not going to sell a 4k movie for €100 and then most of it go to storage cost

oh dear was that YOUR computer i just downloaded a few dozen viruses on when you weren't paying attention?

"End of 2015" Not really soon...

Don't really see the point of it. Internet streaming is the way to go for movies.

the problem is that if a 4k film in 2 years is 300GB then most peoples internet speed won't be able to stream it and if they could they would go over download limits.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

I see this being a move towards 4k bluray/dvd but it would be very good when the optical disk can hold 1TB, this would allow me to back up on a regular basis to optical disk.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

Don't really see the point of it. Internet streaming is the way to go for movies.

That's assuming everyone has the speed and usage limits to support it. Average consumer doesn't have that everywhere. The max usage I can get right now is 300GB (only one provider actually gives unlimited at reasonable speeds), so that's basically the entire disc on one video.

Discs won't get phased out until Google Fiber and equivalent services become the standard that everyone has. Streaming isn't practical yet.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2