STRMfrmXMN's PSU Whitelist (No longer updated)

2 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I don't see my current supply on here, which is a SF600 :P

Jonnyguru likes it

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=477

CX450M, CX550M, CX650M

CX750M and 850M - newest revisions that have a white logo rather than a green and white one.

Vengeance series

CS series

VX450

MOST older TX-series. Not all are created equal. Since the list of TXs is quite vast just look for reviews of the unit you’re interested in.

New TXM 2017

Corsair RM - has a lot of controversy surrounding the capacitors on older generations but it's still a good PSU, just not the best for the money

RMi-series (not the RM, they are different)

RMx-series - same as RMi without Corsair Link compatibility and a Rifle bearing fan as opposed to a fluid dynamic bearing fan (superior) in the RMi

SF series

All HX series

All HXi series

All AX series (beware of coil whine)

All AXi series (and here too with the coil whine)

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there! First of all, thank you for giving us such a great list! I'm looking for a decent psu to use on a computer which i'm currently building. Would you please help me with that?  I'm confused and i have no idea about psus at all :( I've found these but im not sure whether or not those are good for this setup and i'm open for advices : CORSAIR CX650M, SEASONIC S12 and EVGA 600B  ( and i would appreciate it if you also gave me some tips about my setup but that's another discussion and i'm aware of it)

Specs will be:

Motherboard: MSI B350M MORTAR ARCTIC

CPU: AMD RYZEN 1600

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 GAMING X  6GB

RAM: HYPER X FURY 16GB (2x8)

CASE: CORSAIR CARBIDE 400C

50 minutes ago, Mdsly said:

Hello there! First of all, thank you for giving us such a great list! I'm looking for a decent psu to use on a computer which i'm currently building. Would you please help me with that?  I'm confused and i have no idea about psus at all :( I've found these but im not sure whether or not those are good for this setup and i'm open for advices : CORSAIR CX650M, SEASONIC S12 and EVGA 600B  ( and i would appreciate it if you also gave me some tips about my setup but that's another discussion and i'm aware of it)

Specs will be:

Motherboard: MSI B350M MORTAR ARCTIC

CPU: AMD RYZEN 1600

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 GAMING X  6GB

RAM: HYPER X FURY 16GB (2x8)

CASE: CORSAIR CARBIDE 400C

Ah, I got your PM but didn't see this.

The CX550M would be a fine choice for you. I'd also get an ATX motherboard rather than an mATX one.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

4 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Ah, I got your PM but didn't see this.

The CX550M would be a fine choice for you. I'd also get an ATX motherboard rather than an mATX one.

Thanks for your fast reply :-) I live in Turkey and sadly, we don't have CX550M available. I also heard that cx~ series make some noise, coil whine and so on. Can i ask why you choose atx over matx? i know it's bigger but its price is also more expensive which i think i can't afford it. I might save some money by buying cheaper psu so that i can buy ATX one though. 

6 minutes ago, Mdsly said:

Thanks for your fast reply :-) I live in Turkey and sadly, we don't have CX550M available. I also heard that cx~ series make some noise, coil whine and so on. Can i ask why you choose atx over matx? i know it's bigger but its price is also more expensive which i think i can't afford it. I might save some money by buying cheaper psu so that i can buy ATX one though. 

The only reason to go ATX is for aesthetic reasons since you also have an ATX case. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

The only reason to go ATX is for aesthetic reasons since you also have an ATX case. 

Oh, thanks then :) 

27 minutes ago, Mdsly said:

There are two main CX versions - green and grey. Then there are modular and not modular versions of both. The green is loud and has lots of coil whine, but the grey one is very quiet. The CX650M is a grey unit.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

On 06.09.2017 at 3:06 AM, JDE said:

There are two main CX versions - green and grey. Then there are modular and not modular versions of both. The green is loud and has lots of coil whine, but the grey one is very quiet. The CX650M is a grey unit.

Thank you. I consider buying that one then :-) I will update my reply after getting the pc.

Update: I've got the components and it works great! Thank you all for helping me! :) 

I bought the Rosewill Quark 650w PSU for $76.50 earlier because it was on sale with a promo code. Hopefully it will serve me many years :P 

Previously Trogdor8freebird

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

1 minute ago, Trogdor8freebird said:

I bought the Rosewill Quark 650w PSU for $76.50 earlier because it was on sale with a promo code. Hopefully it will serve me many years :P 

Good electrical performance - potentially bad build quality if you spot Enhance on a really bad day.

But it's the same with pretty much every manufacturer though, so you made a good choice.

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

23 minutes ago, Trogdor8freebird said:

I like that unit a lot. It's kinda ugly but a great PSU.

40 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

I like that unit a lot. It's kinda ugly but a great PSU.

The warranty also leave a lot to be desired. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

4 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

The warranty also leave a lot to be desired. 

5 years is longer than every other component in your computer.

So why bother with warranty at all?? When your CPU has only 3 years, your motherboard, if you are lucky 3 years since day of manufacturing, some rare things also 5 (ASUS TUF). Graphics cards don't have warranty at all in some cases (like Inno3D who don't seem to bother with a warranty statement), so we're at 3 years if you're lucky.

There was a time where every half way decent harddisk had 5 years warranty - back in the dayw when we had more than two manufacturers. And now we have 3 years if we are lucky..

Seems like you want the same, do you? two PSU companys instead of two dozend, do you?
Or what are you saying right now?

And with one of the cheapest components you put in a computer, you want more warranty than every other component has? WHY?!

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

3 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

So why bother with warranty at all?? When your CPU has only 3 years, your motherboard, if you are lucky 3 years since day of manufacturing, some rare things also 5 (ASUS TUF). Graphics cards don't have warranty at all in some cases (like Inno3D who don't seem to bother with a warranty statement), so we're at 3 years if you're lucky.

There was a time where every half way decent harddisk had 5 years warranty - back in the dayw when we had more than two manufacturers. And now we have 3 years if we are lucky..

Seems like you want the same, do you? two PSU companys instead of two dozend, do you?

And with one of the cheapest components you put in a computer, you want more warranty than every other component has? WHY?!

Because for about the same price you can get a Seasonic Focus with double the warranty.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

5 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

I think he was comparing it to units you can buy (he did mention Seasonic's Focus Plus). I still think the Quark is a very good unit for the money.

The Quark is nice having Platinum so cheap but if I remember from the HardOCP review it was loud.

Rosewill in general can be overlooked. Capstones usually go on sale for quite cheap, though sometimes I get confused between the different Capstones, and I believe the newer ones weren't as good as the originals or something.

6 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

Because for about the same price you can get a Seasonic Focus with double the warranty.

So you are for monopolizing the PSU Industry??
Or at least something like a Oligopol with max 5 manufacturers still around, do you?
Or what are you saying?

This "warranty wars" is just absolute bullshit. Because you need either your receit for the RMA or pay with your data.

And who saves their original receit for a device that cost 100 bucks?!

And that's what the companys are counting for...

Have you ever read the warranty conditions? 

What good is a warranty that excludes "wear and tear due to normal use"?
That leaves you open to the company. If they don't want to replace your product, they just don't...

And that's the problem most people don't think about. Just 10 Years is more than 5.

That the 5 year warranty is an all inclusive one where you only need the receit where the 10 years is not and has much more excluded, is not important..

And some companys even say something that they can pay you back for the original price minus 10% for each year.

So you send a 7 year old product that cost you 25$ to ship to the manufacturer and they give you back 30% of the original 100$ wich equals to about 30$ - a whopping 5 bucks more than shipping.

And the other two things:

a) you can not know if the company is around in 10 Years. 

10 Years ago a Brand like Tagan, PC Power & Cooling, OCZ were pretty strong. Today all three are done for.

b) it is highly likely that the ATX Standard wil be replaced in the next 10 years.

The old AT standard was good for about 10 Years.

ATX is already 21 Years old. 

So why bother so much with the warranty?!

10 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

And who saves their original receit for a device that cost 100 bucks?!

I have receipts from toys I bought at age 5 from Target... I might be an outlier but here I am raising my hand!

20 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

I have receipts from toys I bought at age 5 from Target... I might be an outlier but here I am raising my hand!

I found a receipt from a road trip from when I was 2 in a tiny box in a cabinet.

It was from McDonalds

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

1 minute ago, JDE said:

I found a receipt from a road trip from when I was 2 in a tiny box in a cabinet.

It was from McDonalds

To be fair, I keep my receipts for PC things. I also use them for financial stuff. I've spent just under $600 on gas in 2017!

Just now, STRMfrmXMN said:

To be fair, I keep my receipts for PC things. I also use them for financial stuff. I've spent just under $600 on gas in 2017!

My local mall offers a ticket for like a lottery thing for every receipt from their food court.

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

38 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

i keep those receipts until after the warranty ends, then it's off to the bin it goes :P pretty sure the rest of my family does the same if it's got warranty too.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

• 3 weeks later...

-1 for the truepower quattro. Mine died because they used ONE crap quality capacitor, and it wasn't even glued down, even though its leads were an inch long...

Replaced the cap and we're back in business.

6 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

-1 for the truepower quattro

Oh, that's an oldie...

How old is it now? 10 Years??

But you gotta love those extra multi rail PCBs they used inside because the plattform itself was single rail - and no space to change it.

Was built by Enhance IIRC...

€dit:
I always wanted one of those (850W and possibly 1000W or so), not to use it but to fiddle around with it with that Multirail/Fan Card.

Should be a nice/interesting project ;D