STRMfrmXMN's PSU Whitelist (No longer updated)

2 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

I'd pass on the LEPA. It has a two year warranty.

Well here in my country almost everything has a 2 year warranty (I know this Seasonic PSU that I mentioned has 5 year warranty in other places) so that's no big deal for us.

But you're right it's probably better not to get it and probably we can get the Seasonic one anyways.
Thank you for your answer.

• 3 weeks later...

Why isn't the evga psu 500w bq version not on here?

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you

1 minute ago, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

maybe because it is TIER 4?

2 minutes ago, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

Because BQ is pretty mediocre -- think CX Green/EVGA B1.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

26 minutes ago, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

The BQ just isn't all that good. Also they have two manufacturers for the same series and it's a weird one. Can't blanket recommend the series or even one particular unit as they're just not particularly good.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

39 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

it's not like the Seasonic S12II are much better anyway...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

On 2/21/2017 at 10:57 AM, deXxterlab97 said:

maybe because it is TIER 4?

Yet the ocz zt (my previous psu on my older build) is at tier 5 and is listed in the list?

._o

2 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

The BQ just isn't all that good. Also they have two manufacturers for the same series and it's a weird one. Can't blanket recommend the series or even one particular unit as they're just not particularly good.

Do you think its still worth keeping since I have it in my system? No OC over double gpus and watercooling 

Also how does it compare with my older ocz Zt 650w psu (a good/decent psu)? if you don't know that is fine 

2 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

How mediocore is it compared to the ocz 650w zt?

20 minutes ago, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

Do you think its still worth keeping since I have it in my system? No OC over double gpus and watercooling 

Also how does it compare with my older ocz Zt 650w psu (a good/decent psu)? if you don't know that is fine 

To me it's negligible. I'd take either one over the other but maybe the EVGA since it's newer and under warranty and all that.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

1 hour ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

To me it's negligible. I'd take either one over the other but maybe the EVGA since it's newer and under warranty and all that.

Thanks for the response

So I shouldn't be needing to replace the PSU anytime soon I suppose in my situation?

5 minutes ago, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

Thanks for the response

So I shouldn't be needing to replace the PSU anytime soon I suppose in my situation?

For most single GPU systems it'll be fine.

57 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

For most single GPU systems it'll be fine.

thanks

• 4 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, daiv said:

What about it?

It's not a good PSU if that's what you're wondering. I can tell you it's made by AcBel and has no 80 PLUS certification. It's also only capable of putting out 360W of its rated wattage.

48 minutes ago, daiv said:

junk. 

What specifically are you asking about (what use case and with what hardware)?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

10 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

junk. 

What specifically are you asking about (what use case and with what hardware)?

11 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

What about it?

It's not a good PSU if that's what you're wondering. I can tell you it's made by AcBel and has no 80 PLUS certification. It's also only capable of putting out 360W of its rated wattage.

I have an awful case with no side panel. here are my specs.

Hard Drive: 4-5 year old HDD which sucks

CPU: Intel i7-3770 (no k)
GPU: Nvidia GTX 760
Motherboard: Dell OptiPlex 7010

RAM: DDR3 8GB

Moniters:   Moniter 1: 1080p 60hz      Moniter 2: 1080p 144hz

I've been researching and asking questions for a while now. I've narrowed it down to: New ram, SSD, PSU. I'm not sure which to get first.

1 minute ago, daiv said:

I have an awful case with no side panel. here are my specs.

Hard Drive: 4-5 year old HDD which sucks

CPU: Intel i7-3770 (no k)
GPU: Nvidia GTX 760
Motherboard: Dell OptiPlex 7010

RAM: DDR3 8GB

Moniters:   Moniter 1: 1080p 60hz      Moniter 2: 1080p 144hz

I've been researching and asking questions for a while now. I've narrowed it down to: New ram, SSD, PSU. I'm not sure which to get first.

Where do you live? Power supply availability varies more than anything else, although the SeaSonic S12ii series is great, almost universally available, and always sold at a good price.

Just now, Aereldor said:

Where do you live? Power supply availability varies more than anything else, although the SeaSonic S12ii series is great, almost universally available, and always sold at a good price.

South New Jersey.

5 minutes ago, daiv said:

South New Jersey.

Oh, lucky you.

How much can you spend?

2 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

Oh, lucky you.

How much can you spend?

Well PSU's are pretty cheap anyways right? I guess like 100 dollars is the max and I think thats like double what its probably going to cost. So basically anything :)

5 minutes ago, daiv said:

Well PSU's are pretty cheap anyways right? I guess like 100 dollars is the max and I think thats like double what its probably going to cost. So basically anything :)

You could spend just $50 and get something very good indeed, and future-proof enough to handle just about anything. 

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/nB3RsY/seasonic-power-supply-s12ii620bronze

Here it is in a R7 1700 GTX 1080 SLI build.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($326.88 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Asus PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($162.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($189.97 @ Jet) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($99.88 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.33 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 8GB TURBO Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($499.99 @ B&H) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 8GB TURBO Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($499.99 @ B&H) 
Case: NZXT S340 (Matte White/Purple) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($66.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($49.90 @ B&H) 
Total: $1945.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-18 13:48 EDT-0400

5 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

You could spend just $50 and get something very good indeed, and future-proof enough to handle just about anything. 

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/nB3RsY/seasonic-power-supply-s12ii620bronze

Here it is in a R7 1700 GTX 1080 SLI build.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($326.88 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Asus PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($162.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($189.97 @ Jet) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($99.88 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.33 @ OutletPC) 
Case: NZXT S340 (Matte White/Purple) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($66.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($49.90 @ B&H) 
Total: $1945.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-18 13:48 EDT-0400

Everything about it looks good, do you think this will actually fix problems like my computer freezing for ~1 second every once in a while? I feel like thats a ram problem

11 minutes ago, daiv said:

Everything about it looks good, do you think this will actually fix problems like my computer freezing for ~1 second every once in a while? I feel like thats a ram problem

That could be anything, but it sounds more like a storage problem than a RAM problem. Open task manager and check on your CPU, Storage, and RAM usage. Whichever is hitting 100% is causing problems.

Clean out your startup programs, and see if you can find 'mystery processes' that just don't belong there and are taking up a ton of resources.

24 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

That could be anything, but it sounds more like a storage problem than a RAM problem. Open task manager and check on your CPU, Storage, and RAM usage. Whichever is hitting 100% is causing problems.

Clean out your startup programs, and see if you can find 'mystery processes' that just don't belong there and are taking up a ton of resources.

Thanks for all the help dude. Last question, are you sure this is going to work for my PC? Should I do some research are you 100% sure it will work