I heard that Technology Jobs are not stable jobs? is that true?

AlanAlan

I heard many people say that they are unstable and many get cut.

Eventually it can/will happen

depends on how shitty upper management is...

also depends on the local market the company is in...

For certain industries this is true, bots will eventually replace human jobs for certain things.

For other industries, like programming and coding for example, it is not true because coders and programmers will always be in high demand to keep up with this new stuff.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Depends on what field of technology.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Most jobs are unstable, but programmers or software engineers usually have the most stable jobs

Depends which ones...

I know of engineer who have worked for 30+ years for the same private (big) company

System: Thinkpad T460

No such thing as a stable job. Unless you're a hobo, but that basically means you don't have a job (or does it mean that your job IS being a hobo?)

Good tech jobs are harder to get into than most jobs (from experience), but if you're good enough at what you do it should last you for a good chunk of your career. Then you can just find another job since you have experience

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

I heard many people say that they are unstable and many get cut.

Depends on the job to be honest.

It depends on several factors like what field, location and your own personal skill.

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

It depends on the job.

If it's something that can be easily outsourced, then it probably will at some point, which is why I've considered a career as a small-town plumber.

Not to mention, experience, level of education, competitiveness, location, demand, and a slew of other factors will actually determine how safe the job security is.

If you want stable tech job, find one that intermingle with the medical field.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

• 2 weeks later...

Many people fail to promote their business.

As Carey Holzman once said:

Keeping the business is fun.

Getting the business is difficult.

It depends on the job.

If it's something that can be easily outsourced, then it probably will at some point, which is why I've considered a career as a small-town plumber.

Not to mention, experience, level of education, competitiveness, location, demand, and a slew of other factors will actually determine how safe the job security is.

All you need to remember to become a plumber is that water flows down!  :D

No job is completely stable, and changing jobs at least once is expected.

My AMD Build:

Spoiler

FX 6300 @ 4.8GHz, Zalman CNPS14X, MSI 970 Gaming, 16gb 1866MHz AData Ram, 3D Club R9 280X, Corsair 600M Psu, Thermaltake V3 AMD Edition Case, D-link 1200AC WiFi, 240gb Mushkin SSD, 2tb WD HDD, 140gb WD HDD (recording gameplay), 5x CoolerMaster SickleFlow 120mm fans, Windows 10 64Bit

Sisters Intel Build:

Spoiler

I7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, CoolerMaster 212 Evo, Gigabyte Gaming 5, 16gb 1866MHz Corsair Ram, 3D Club R9 390, EVGA 650GS Psu, NZXT S340 Case, D-Link 1200AC WiFi Card, HyperX 240gb SSD, 2tb WD HDD, Windows 10 64 Bit

There is no such thing as job security these days. The best you can do is not go stagnant in your career development, continue to learn new traits and skills and hope that upper management makes good decisions with moving the company forward. 

I'm looking into these sort of jobs, and honestly, you'll be fine unless you go into theoretical computer science. There are literally no jobs to be found.

Useful threads: Code of Conduct || Unofficial LTT Beginners Guide || Forum FAQ

CPU: Intel Core i5 4440 GPU: GTX 760 MOBO: Asrock Z97 Anniversary RAM: 8GB Adata @ 1600 Mhz Case: Define R4 SSD: Kingston V300 128 GB

HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda NAS: 3TB Seagate Barracudas in RAID 1 PSU: EVGA 600B (600W 80+ Bronze) Display: LG 23MP75 (1080p IPS @ 60hz) 

depends on the industry, what company you are employed with, how important your position is etc

no job is stable layoffs can happen to anyone

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

Like all jobs, it's only as stable as the company you work for.  IT scales with the size of the business, so if business isn't doing well IT jobs will get cut, but then so will cleaners, secretaries, store clerks etc.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

depends on the industry, what company you are employed with, how important your position is etc

no job is stable layoffs can happen to anyone

As Barnacules has shown us. Unfortunately, anyone who falls under a computer's algorithms will be laid off if you fall under their criteria, no matter how good you are.

CPU: Intel Core i5 4440 GPU: GTX 760 MOBO: Asrock Z97 Anniversary RAM: 8GB Adata @ 1600 Mhz Case: Define R4 SSD: Kingston V300 128 GB

HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda NAS: 3TB Seagate Barracudas in RAID 1 PSU: EVGA 600B (600W 80+ Bronze) Display: LG 23MP75 (1080p IPS @ 60hz) 

For other industries, like programming and coding for example, it is not true because coders and programmers will always be in high demand to keep up with this new stuff.

Those jobs are extremely easy to outsource to countries with cheap labour and lots of it and/or mathematics graduates.

Those jobs are extremely easy to outsource to countries with cheap labour and lots of it and/or mathematics graduates.

A really good friend of mine runs his own business and outsources about 80% of his work to people in russia. Significantly cheaper which increases his profit.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

It depends on the job.

Shit flows down hill, payday is Thursday. All you need to know right there.. Well and basic basic math.. My uncle has a friend who works weekends as a plummer and shows up in a Porsche (Canada not Europe lol)

I'm 27 and a mess.. Still don't know what I wanna do.. Something electrical.

As Barnacules has shown us. Unfortunately, anyone who falls under a computer's algorithms will be laid off if you fall under their criteria, no matter how good you are.

exactly, I want an internship and then an actual position for a specific company, doesnt mean I will and even if I do it is likely that I would at some point change companies and positions. its just how it is

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

exactly, I want an internship and then an actual position for a specific company, doesnt mean I will and even if I do it is likely that I would at some point change companies and positions. its just how it is

You're going to have to take up internships after graduating. It's the only way to get the "minimum X years of experience" you need to apply to literally every job these days.

You're going to have to take up internships after graduating. It's the only way to get the "minimum X years of experience" you need to apply to literally every job these days.

I am fully aware of that been going to collage since 2008 ;)