Joining the Military [USA]

Read the thread I linked. No such patriotism exists in other countries towards their military.

It's because America has a weird brand of nationalism that's not common elsewhere. Everyone here grows up with a war going on overseas, so I find we're more aware of the stuff our servicemen and women go through.

Also because freedom fighters etc etc

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

No, police keep you safe. Western countries have not been in wars that actually threatened their freedom lately.

Yup they keep us safe too. And it too is sad when there is a bunch of lazy, ignorant, complacent Americans who say the police are terrible people and should be done away with. The only thing I have to say to them is fuck you. If we didn't have police, any lunatic could walk into your home with a gun and tell you "Hey, that's a nice tv. Give me your tv." "No,  better yet, this is a nice house, get out, this is my house now."  

Now, you know what you can expect from these barbarians. They are a race of rabid BASTARDS that will fight us tooth and nail! But they don't know what they're up against. Cyrodiil, is CIVILIZATION! Cyrodiil, is ORDER! Cyrodiil is POWER! And out here, WE. ARE. CYRODIIL. 

But still OP. Nice that you figured out what you want to do :P

@GrimNeo

That's a long reply! Thank you! It will take me some time to sort through it, but I do not want to be in the national guard, that is for sure. Beyond that I do not know much of the military at all, so I need to go through the links provided first to be able to answer your questions. I have a GED, by the way, because I was homeschooled. I didn't drop out of school or anything. :)

No, police keep you safe. Western countries have not been in wars that actually threatened their freedom lately.

Police don't generally keep people safe anymore, at least not with a witch hunt currently going on where they are constantly being accused of being racists or power hungry. And while it is true that lately we have not been involved in wars that directly harm our nation or our nation's ideals, the fact that they would put their lives on the line to secure my future is something I will never stop respecting or thanking. Other countries can just disregard their actions as the same as working behind a desk, but I do not feel right doing that because their "job" is not the same.

That's how I see it anyways. :)

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Yup they keep us safe too. And it too is sad when there is a bunch of lazy, ignorant, complacent Americans who say the police are terrible people and should be done away with. The only thing I have to say to them is fuck you. If we didn't have police, any lunatic could walk into your home with a gun and tell you "Hey, that's a nice tv. Give me your tv." "No,  better yet, this is a nice house, get out, this is my house now."  

That is a gross simplification of a complicated problem. Generalizing Americans when I can easily say bad things about Mexicans isn't really helpful when you make a blanket statement about an entire country. 

read my messages in a gleeful tone. 

That is a gross simplification of a complicated problem. Generalizing Americans when I can easily say bad things about Mexicans isn't really helpful when you make a blanket statement about an entire country. 

Or maybe you just interpreted it incorrectly. When I said lazy, ignorant, and complacent, I hate to bring politics into this, but generally I'm speaking of the the left wing Liberals. Now even there that does not apply to all of them because I know that there are some hard working Liberals in this country, but most that I run into wouldn't even piss on a police officer if he was on fire. 

Now, you know what you can expect from these barbarians. They are a race of rabid BASTARDS that will fight us tooth and nail! But they don't know what they're up against. Cyrodiil, is CIVILIZATION! Cyrodiil, is ORDER! Cyrodiil is POWER! And out here, WE. ARE. CYRODIIL. 

Nope, he is convinced that every single person in the US military is a murdering war criminal. 

He makes similar posts in every thread about the US military. 

That and he is anti-american.

@GrimNeo

That's a long reply! Thank you! It will take me some time to sort through it, but I do not want to be in the national guard, that is for sure. Beyond that I do not know much of the military at all, so I need to go through the links provided first to be able to answer your questions. I have a GED, by the way, because I was homeschooled. I didn't drop out of school or anything. :)

Your welcome. No problem with a GED. I was just quoting the Army requirements for GED's. I think the worst day of my life was being rejected from the United States Army at the age of 17 due to medical reasons. I'm from a military family. My dad was a Major in the Army. My grandpa served in WW II. Probably the saddest day of my life. Right there I realized I was a failure. I don't think I can ever reach that high again. Not being able to serve my country. Still makes me sad to this day. That is the day I let my dad and family down.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

Our fight is taken abroad so that it doesn't reach our shores but freedom is always under threat. Hence our gratitude towards the military.

i7 4770k/Maximus VII Hero/Titan X/ 500gb 850evox2 r0/1000 EVGA G2

Our fight is taken abroad so that it doesn't reach our shores but freedom is always under threat. Hence our gratitude towards the military.

Not Always I would say. But okay.

That and he is anti-american.

What can I say? Every American is really really evil. Perhaps he should stop buying AMD, Intel and Nvidia products.

You know, to make a stand. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

But sorry for hijacking the thread partially. Just nvm.

Luckily it's not an all out war with Russia or north Korea currently but isis and like minded extremists have always wished western countries harm. At least as far back as I can recall. Anyway... I'll not turn this into a political topic lol

@Albatross just in advance. Thank you for your service and commitment to the USA.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

Best of luck @Albatross!  I hope enlisting enriches your life experience.  Prepare you mind the best you can, know what you are getting into to the best of your ability. 

Patriotism is not the best mindset to accompany enlistment.  The state does not deserve it.  The people you serve with do deserve your commitment.  Sorry if that sounded harsh, but I am being practical.

Yeah I remember reading a reddit thread about Germans, and military service during WW2. It was pretty interesting if you want to read it. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/3bnjve/serious_germans_of_reddit_in_what_ways_if_at_all/?ref=share&ref_source=link

was lurking, followed the link, and just had to say thank you for sharing. I'm fascinated by WWII (from a historical standpoint) and this is a good read so far

TY!

@Realist Peter Pan

Okay, I am going through your google link. Unfortunately most of the links aren't answering what MOS, MEPS etc is only that I need to pass them to be able to join. 

As for dyslexia, if I haven't been officially diagnosed I don't have to mention it (I have been told by health officials that they are near positive that I have it but I refused the tests)? I'd hate to take advantage but it seems wrong to reject someone for that reason alone. We aren't stupid, we just have a different kind of thinking.

What job I want? You mean within the military, right? I would like anything in relation to people, particularly anything that will help me improve or study as a Linguist. I do not know any of the terms or names of the jobs and cannot locate a list of such things.

What if what I want from the military is not "one thing"? I would like to be able to travel, better myself, serve and be able to attend college. Could I tell the recruiter that, or must I given him/her a specific reason?

(good to know about the height! I do not want to be a pilot ahaha)

Your welcome. No problem with a GED. I was just quoting the Army requirements for GED's. I think the worst day of my life was being rejected from the United States Army at the age of 17 due to medical reasons. I'm from a military family. My dad was a Major in the Army. My grandpa served in WW II. Probably the saddest day of my life. Right there I realized I was a failure. I don't think I can ever reach that high again. Not being able to serve my country. Still makes me sad to this day. That is the day I let my dad and family down.

I'm sorry to hear that GrimNeo. :(

But I don't think you let your father and family down, or the nation. You tried and you were more than willing to join...that is more than enough! You also don't have to be a solider to honor our country. :)

Well right now it is, with terrorist groups constantly swearing to kill us all and destroy our nation. America is hated all around the world; if we look away for more than a moment, any one of them would be more than willing to stab us in the back and ruin our way of living.

@Albatross just in advance. Thank you for your service and commitment to the USA.

Thanks for the jinx!

jk

I shouldn't be thanked, because I haven't joined yet and I may not be able to. :(

Best of luck @Albatross!  I hope enlisted enriches your experience.  Prepare you mind the best you can, know what you are getting into to the best of your ability. 

Patriotism is not the best mindset to accompany enlistment.  The state does not deserve it.  The people you serve with do deserve your commitment.  Sorry if that sounded harsh, but I am being practical.

I know, but I feel like this is something I need to do. I just hope I am not rejected.

Patriotism to me is the love of the nation's ideals and the people. I would not join the military for my government but for the ideals my nation represents and the amazing people within it. You weren't harsh at all, don't worry! I appreciate honesty and I love reading and hearing other people's opinions.

But sorry for hijacking the thread partially. Just nvm.

No problem, wasn't really a hijack. At least I don't think it was.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

SNIP

MOC (military occupation code)https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_military_occupation_code

MEPS(Military Entrance Processing Station)http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/mepsglance.htm

" I'd hate to take advantage but it seems wrong to reject someone for that reason alone.",

Everyone (a lot of people) does it, don't feel bad about it. 

"I would like to be able to travel, better myself, serve and be able to attend college. Could I tell the recruiter that, or must I given him/her a specific reason?"

Then you are looking for a specific job, because specific jobs have different operation tempos, that influence you doing those things in question. 

I deployed to Iraq while in the Marine Corps a few years after 9/11, so I understand your motivation.  Ignore the haters, listen to your recruiter with skepticism, and look forward to ride you weren't expecting.   

I practice and study Buddhism, admire art, love cats, build computers and enjoy civil debate.

@Albatross regarding dyslexia.

http://army.com/info/usa/physical

In general the US Army requires you to be:

Free of contagious diseases that would likely endanger the health of other personnel.
    Free of medical conditions or physical defects that would require excessive time lost from duty for necessary treatment or hospitalization or would likely result in separation from the Army for medical unfitness.
    Medically capable of satisfactorily completing required training.
    Medically adaptable to the military environment without the necessity of geographical area limitations.
    Medically capable of performing duties without aggravation of existing physical defects or medical conditions.

You can read more about the height/weight standards for soldiers here. Some other general rules that apply include:

Waivers may be requested for medical defects, provided you are not under the care of a physician or taking medication for the defect.
    The Standards of Medical Fitness states that "Current or history of diabetes mellitus (250) does not meet the standard." If you take pills or insulin shots for diabetes, you are disqualified. If you can control it by watching your food, there is a very slim chance you might get a waiver.
    Waivers are NOT authorized for confirmed positive results for the presence of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) or antibody.
    You will be tested for the presence of alcohol and drugs. If you refuse to submit to drug or alcohol testing, you will will be denied further processing and enlistment.

And there are a LOT of other conditions that can disqualify you from joining the US Army. If you have a specific question about a condition, you should fill out this form and click the Submit button to have someone contact you to discuss your specific case. The following list is not complete, and is based of the most current revision (8/23/2010). To see the complete document, click here.

Current or history of academic skills or perceptual defects secondary to organic or functional mental disorders, including, but not limited to dyslexia, that interfere with school or employment. Applicants demonstrating passing academic and employment performance without utilization or recommendation of academic and/or work accommodations at any time in the previous 12 months may be qualified.

was lurking, followed the link, and just had to say thank you for sharing. I'm fascinated by WWII (from a historical standpoint) and this is a good read so far

TY!

No probs

Wrong thread?

@thekeemo

What are you talking about?

the USA military has not done anything good for humanity as a primary goal since 1945

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Is someone saying something? I can't tell... 

Vietnam

Iraq

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

the USA military has not done anything good for humanity as a primary goal since 1945

I guess stopping Saddam Hussein from murdering and torturing even thousands of more people doesn't count eh. Or taking out the leader of the Taliban. Isis is next and anyone else who thinks they can slaughter with impunity. But that doesn't matter because the real issue is global warming and our cow farts are the major concern in this world.