Joining the Military [USA]

MOC (military occupation code)https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_military_occupation_code

MEPS(Military Entrance Processing Station)http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/mepsglance.htm

" I'd hate to take advantage but it seems wrong to reject someone for that reason alone.",

Everyone (a lot of people) does it, don't feel bad about it. 

"I would like to be able to travel, better myself, serve and be able to attend college. Could I tell the recruiter that, or must I given him/her a specific reason?"

Then you are looking for a specific job, because specific jobs have different operation tempos, that influence you doing those things in question. 

Thanks.

The wiki page for MOS doesn't seem to have a lot in relation to Linguistics or language affairs but I suppose that page is just not updated/complete. However, 09L sounds like what I want. But going from your wiki it looks like no matter what I am put in as/pick I can get into the DLIFLC at the very least. All good news!

And MEPS is just where you are tested/etc? Alright, that makes sense, thought it might have been another form of testing itself.

@Albatross regarding dyslexia.

http://army.com/info/usa/physical

In general the US Army requires you to be:

Free of contagious diseases that would likely endanger the health of other personnel.

Free of medical conditions or physical defects that would require excessive time lost from duty for necessary treatment or hospitalization or would likely result in separation from the Army for medical unfitness.

Medically capable of satisfactorily completing required training.

Medically adaptable to the military environment without the necessity of geographical area limitations.

Medically capable of performing duties without aggravation of existing physical defects or medical conditions.

You can read more about the height/weight standards for soldiers here. Some other general rules that apply include:

Waivers may be requested for medical defects, provided you are not under the care of a physician or taking medication for the defect.

The Standards of Medical Fitness states that "Current or history of diabetes mellitus (250) does not meet the standard." If you take pills or insulin shots for diabetes, you are disqualified. If you can control it by watching your food, there is a very slim chance you might get a waiver.

Waivers are NOT authorized for confirmed positive results for the presence of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) or antibody.

You will be tested for the presence of alcohol and drugs. If you refuse to submit to drug or alcohol testing, you will will be denied further processing and enlistment.

And there are a LOT of other conditions that can disqualify you from joining the US Army. If you have a specific question about a condition, you should fill out this form and click the Submit button to have someone contact you to discuss your specific case. The following list is not complete, and is based of the most current revision (8/23/2010). To see the complete document, click here.

Current or history of academic skills or perceptual defects secondary to organic or functional mental disorders, including, but not limited to dyslexia, that interfere with school or employment. Applicants demonstrating passing academic and employment performance without utilization or recommendation of academic and/or work accommodations at any time in the previous 12 months may be qualified.

Thanks!

Well, I don't take drugs or anything and I haven't officially been diagnosed and I don't have any academic problems. So if I can pass their tests and physical I am set? Neato! I just need to study to pass their tests then...but no matter! I am a dedicated person! I may learn differently but I don't stop until I learn what I'm trying to. xD

the USA military has not done anything good for humanity as a primary goal since 1945

Your anti-American sentiments are fueled by assumption, misinformation and bias it appears. The USA military has done a great many things to help humanity. Stopping terrorists? Saddam Hussein? Try to give humane rights to women and children in terrorist held countries or hard-core religious states? General relief efforts?

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I guess stopping Saddam Hussein from murdering and torturing even thousands of more people doesn't count eh. Or taking out the leader of the Taliban. Isis is next and anyone else who thinks they can slaughter with impunity. But that doesn't matter because the real issue is global warming and our cow farts are the major concern in this world.

by murdering and torturing more people? and im not even going to go into the CIAs hand in making the taliban and ISIS what they are today.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

by murdering and torturing more people? and im not even going to go into the CIAs hand in making the taliban and ISIS what they are today.

Killing and torturing murderers and torturers. People who set humans in cages like cattle and light them on fire...nah man I have zero problem with that.

i7 4770k/Maximus VII Hero/Titan X/ 500gb 850evox2 r0/1000 EVGA G2

Just leave the thread please, before it get it locked. I am trying to get answers to important questions. If you do not like America or Americans or refuse to look into what you are spewing as "fact", then take it elsewhere. Make your own thread or something, just leave it out of mine please.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

the USA military has not done anything good for humanity as a primary goal since 1945

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ahmed-shihabeldin/the-big-lie-egypts-milita_b_3625408.html

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

-snip-

Your welcome. I think you should be fine. Best of luck.

Mods please don't lock this thread. 

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

I guess stopping Saddam Hussein from murdering and torturing even thousands of more people doesn't count eh. Or taking out the leader of the Taliban. Isis is next and anyone else who thinks they can slaughter with impunity. But that doesn't matter because the real issue is global warming and our cow farts are the major concern in this world.

https://www.iraqbodycount.org/analysis/numbers/ten-years/

When the US decided to invade Iraq.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Life is easy here in Finland, the state just takes 6 months of your life without asking about your stupid opinion.

But I really wish you the best of luck and I respect your willingness to serve your country.

Apologies OP. If anyone would like to take this to pm I'm game. I'm off the thread.

i7 4770k/Maximus VII Hero/Titan X/ 500gb 850evox2 r0/1000 EVGA G2

I'm not denying that. I'm stating that America came over it was went to help. But no, started raiding homes, killing innocents,killing men. The lists goes on and on..also destroying Mosques.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Yea and no one is perfect. But we do have rules and regulations on engagements and such and if you break those rules you go to jail if not get death sentence for breaking those rules. I.E. the guy who wen't on a killing spree on locals got punishment but so did other for not doing anything about his issues.

People focus to much on the negatives and think all we do is harm and just shoot/blow shit up. Unlike you i get to see what it is like on the inside and what truly goes on. I am guessing you have never seen any of the crazy disasters that happen to other countries? I.E. the tsunami that hit Indonesian island and various other countries causing over 240K in civilian deaths. We were there 1st to help and assist and provide humanitarian support. Same thing with Haiti. Now with war and conflicts unfortunately there is collateral damage and people can and will get hurt. This is not just a U.S.A. thing but anyone who does it. This is happening in IRAQ and SYRIA and couple other locations and our area of interest right now is Iraq and Syria mainly to strike ISIL via air. Air strikes these day are more precise but does not rule out collateral damage all together. If you want to compare that then how about the mass carpet bombings done in WWII had a very large collateral damage and many civilian casualties.

War is hell and anyone caught in the middle of it are unfortunate.  I can bring up a lot more stuff of good vs bad the US has done and everyone making a gripe of how many are killed compared to the EARTH population now and compared to then is very largely different.

here is a video that shows you how MANY died in WWII and compares it to how today is

Why america does what it does

Why we invaded IRAQ

To those who question the bombings we did in japan

Vietnam

That should answer a lot but if you decide that you don't care what i am saying is true then you are more like a blind deaf person who thinks saying racists words is ok. Do not be a bigot and open your eyes and see what truly goes on.  

Guys, this thread is about OP's questions, not about whether the US military is a global

murder racket, so please keep things on point, thanks. :)

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

They killed Osama a few years ago, and if that isn't good I dont know what is.

Okay guys, someone has convinced me to go for a chance at the Air Force (or Navy though serving any of them would be great). For I am concentrating on getting in shape and studying.

• 3 months later...

This thread is a few months old, but hopefully I am allowed to bump it given the subject etc. :P

I'm going to be heading down to a recruiter this weekend, and I was hoping some of you (especially Veterans or Enlistees) could go over some of the questions I have and whether or not I should add more:

• What documents do I need to bring, especially to MEPS?
  • What MOS have possibilities for remote or overseas assignments? / Can an entrant choose to go overseas?
  • Can an entrant choose the military job he/she wants if he/she has a high ASVAB score? If not, how is the job assignment made?
  • What are the requirements for MOS 09L?
  • What credentials/licensing/certifications will you get out of the MOS you have?
  • What are the educational benefits available for me? What about pay?
  • Is the delayed entree program for Tier I applicants only?
  • What are the haircut standards for females? (I don't care if I have to chop it all off honestly)
  • What should I do, read and learn before enlisting?
  • What benefits exist for me and what do I do if my contract doesn't list that bonus/benefit?
  • When will combat rolls like 11A/11B (etc) be open to women?

Others:

• In Basic Training, where will I be sent? Can I pick where and what should I expect upon arrival?
  • What are some resources I could buy to freshen up for the ASVAB?
  • Do you know of any programs available to help GED people get college credits for Tier I enlistment?
  • How long will my Medical Evaluation stay valid if I do not sign a contract immediately?
  • What items are recommended to bring to MEPS?
  • When in Basic Training, can I contact my family?

I know they will be more inclined to answer you/be honest if you show lots of interest and bring lots of questions, so if y'all have anything to add or suggest, I'd appreciate it!  :D

Just wanted to say good luck, i enlist in a month (11.22), to a different army though :P

but from my experience don't listen to what the recruiters tell you. It will be bullshit, they will encourage you to go to the places with no demand (maybe for a good reason, maybe not). Ask of a non tech forum these questions and you will most likely receive a better answer then what you will get from official sources.

:/

Recruiters are trying to fill a quota, they may deceive you into making a choice that sounds good for you, but not out right lie. Anyways enjoy the ride, let me know if you come out with more questions.

read my messages in a gleeful tone. 

Just wanted to say good luck, i enlist in a month (11.22), to a different army though :P

but from my experience don't listen to what the recruiters tell you. It will be bullshit, they will encourage you to go to the places with no demand (maybe for a good reason, maybe not). Ask of a non tech forum these questions and you will most likely receive a better answer then what you will get from official sources.

Wow, the IDF, huh? Good luck to you too, and thanks for the warm sentiments. :)

Yea, I saw first hand what they will do (went with brothers when they enlisted) to get someone to sign. My brother was Tier I in the army, picked a MOS, waited for it but was then sent overseas doing something completely unrelated to his MOS. He probably didn't read his contract all the way through, but definitely a story to remember. So I will be sure not to fall into any traps or let them lie to me. And if they do, I will be sure to report it or wait for another recruiter.

Oh, and not a lot of places online to go to ask these questions. Not, at least, before you sign up. :(

Recruiters are trying to fill a quota, they may deceive you into making a choice that sounds good for you, but not out right lie. Anyways enjoy the ride, let me know if you come out with more questions.

Yikes. It must be a pretty big problem if every soldier I meet tells me they are only trying to fill a quota. :lol:  I'll be careful while I'm there then. Just wanted to bring a good list of stuff to ask, so they don't disregard me or whatnot.

Well I plan on enlisting in a few years would having to wear glasses be a problem or restricting on choices?

Well I plan on enlisting in a few years would having to wear glasses be a problem or restricting on choices?

Many soldiers have glasses, they even give you their own prescription. You just have to meet the standards.

Many soldiers have glasses, they even give you their own prescription. You just have to meet the standards.

Sweet! I pass many of the physical tests already or close there because I do them as three times daily as exercise.  Tell us how it goes!

Sweet! I pass many of the physical tests already or close there because I do them as three times daily as exercise.  Tell us how it goes!

Mind if i ask what are the physical requirements for combat service in the US military? just out of curiosity 

:/