Question for reference 980Ti owners

1Scotty1

You are 12 - no wife, no kid, no other expenses besides PC - I rest my case :D That is why 500€+ is too much for me currently, and why I am considering this cheaper alternative ;) Rexis :D

Just keep in mind that messing up the mod and breaking the card won't be covered by warranty. I would just recommend doing a plasti dip shroud mod and a GTX logo mod. Simple, good looking and won't shrek your warranty up the ass.

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate RAM: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB SSD: OCZ 100 ARC 240GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Graphics Card: Powercolor PCS+ R9 390 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) Power Supply: EVGA G2 750W Monitor: LG 29UM67-P 29" 21:9 Freesync Sexiness Mouse: Razer Deathadder ChromKeyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Headset: Turtle Beach Ear Force XP400

Just keep in mind that messing up the mod and breaking the card won't be covered by warranty. I would just recommend doing a plasti dip shroud mod and a GTX logo mod. Simple, good looking and won't shrek your warranty up the ass.

LED and painting will be done, don't worry :) And there isn't much to mess up with the mod, all I will be doing is removing the transparent glass and the heatsink below it, that is 8 screws in total, and use the 4 holes to mount an AiO, no cutting of anything, so I think it would be hard to fuckup something this easy :) Still better than this:

051983f7_6018496672_e585cf9fce_b.jpeg

LED and painting will be done, don't worry :) And there isn't much to mess up with the mod, all I will be doing is removing the transparent glass and the heatsink below it, that is 8 screws in total, and use the 4 holes to mount an AiO, no cutting of anything, so I think it would be hard to fuckup something this easy :) Still better than this:

Ghetto af m8.

You sure Linus didn't do that?

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate RAM: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB SSD: OCZ 100 ARC 240GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Graphics Card: Powercolor PCS+ R9 390 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) Power Supply: EVGA G2 750W Monitor: LG 29UM67-P 29" 21:9 Freesync Sexiness Mouse: Razer Deathadder ChromKeyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Headset: Turtle Beach Ear Force XP400

Ghetto af m8.

You sure Linus didn't do that?

Don't know, this a random google picture :D the electrical tape on the fittings is scary as fuck tho...

So now I am looking for a decent 140 AiO :P

Don't know, this a random google picture :D the electrical tape on the fittings is scary as fuck tho...

So now I am looking for a decent 140 AiO :P

Kraken X41?

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

Kraken X41?

Read my mind exactly :P

Also, would a mod like this be a dumb thing to do? I don't want to buy the HG10 for 60 dollars, when I don't have to really. Custom loop is out of the question, that is why I am considering this:

normal_Nvidia-AsetekGTX980WC-1.jpg

@REX.exe

@thekeemo

@blu4

@jurian123

I tried this. You need to dremel (grind) about 2mm of material from the base plate of the 980TI cooler, this was the case when using an X41 Kraken cooler. as the cooler is circular and the hole for the GPU is a square the edges of the cooler overlap.  You will want a G10 anyway as it can be "modified" to still use the backplate and circular "claw" to attach the cooler

Therefore I assume pretty much any Asetek CPU AIO will require the stock cooler be modified.

Also you have to remove the perspex and come out there (its four screws) or grind that section of the cooler as picutred (its solid in real life)

I did not want to ruin my stock cooler so I fitted a Kraken G10 bracket, installation was fine, im now 80mhz higher clocked at near silence (41 degree GPU temps with X41) whole system is as loud as my case fans on 7volts. 

My 4x500gb raid is the loudest part in my system now

No, custom loop or don't watercool. Please don't try these weird mods on such an expensive card.

Why not a custom loop? I would've spent the money on one instead of a 980Ti, you are only playing at 1080p for christs sake xD

So what are you going to do about that logo?

Why bother with a custom loop? really?? CPUs air coolers can be large enough to adequately cool them... I dont see the point in water cooling a CPU.

GPU's are the real issue... 

Personally I am VERY happy with my G10 mod on my 980ti - clock at 1520mhz (benching) and 1480mhz daily in near silence with core temps of 41 degrees, I attached heatsinks to the VRMs and fitted a dust cover to the back of the kraken 92mm fan to ensure they didnt fall off into it...

bought them second hand, G10 was $20 aud, X41 was $120 aud.

the real risk is, as with any custom set up, the installation process... 

anyway - on topic - dunno. lol.. sub'ed

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

I tried this. You need to dremel (grind) about 2mm of material from the base plate of the 980TI cooler, this was the case when using an X41 Kraken cooler. as the cooler is circular and the hole for the GPU is a square the edges of the cooler overlap.  

Dang, that is bad news, I don't want to grind anything :( would a AiO with a square base be good (Corsair for example)? or are they bigger than the hole in the base plate?

Dang, that is bad news, I don't want to grind anything :( would a AiO with a square base be good (Corsair for example)? or are they bigger than the hole in the base plate?

I am not sure... I don't think the square one would work as i imagine its roughly the same diameter as the circle one... just.... square?

Either way you still need to have some kind of back plate to attach the AIO block to the card you could just use long and thin screws with plastic washers and nuts however you would need to be really careful to not overtighten the cooler and bend/flex the card too much.

the offset for the cooler screws is 58.4mm so I assume the CPU block itself is about 50mm x 50mm.

As you can see in the below image, the "C" holes are the ones used on the 980ti - the size of the copper block is relatively large.

post-144788-0-55076700-1435666270_thumb.

the black plate pictured below is slightly taller than the GPU itself and the copper block binds on it - if you could get an AIO cooler with a diameter less than about 50mm 

post-144788-0-54989500-1435665639.jpg

If you could get an Aseteck block thats smaller than the X41 type, and use the G10 mounting hardware (modiifed) you could fit it inside the NVTTM cooler.

Otherwise just buy a Corsair HG10 to suit a Titan X / 980ti

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Otherwise just buy a Corsair HG10 to suit a Titan X / 980ti

I wanted to make check first, if the mod I had in mind is doable, but since it is a bit complicated than expected, the HG10 is a more viable option, albeit more expensive (60 dollars+ for the bracket) and I loose the epeen of the NVidia reference cooler :(

EDIT - lel, I am dumb... could this be a MUCh better option? -> http://eu.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=400-HY-0996-B1

I messaged EVGA, if it is usable with the stock shroud, but I see the copper block is slightly raised, so I am keeping my hopes up! :)

I wanted to make check first, if the mod I had in mind is doable, but since it is a bit complicated than expected, the HG10 is a more viable option, albeit more expensive (60 dollars+ for the bracket) and I loose the epeen of the NVidia reference cooler :(

EDIT - lel, I am dumb... could this be a MUCh better option? -> http://eu.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=400-HY-0996-B1

I messaged EVGA, if it is usable with the stock shroud, but I see the copper block is slightly raised, so I am keeping my hopes up! :)

It would be very difficult to get the lines to come out of the stock cooler without cutting it.

Do you live under a rock or haven't you heard about this;

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

just poked my logo, its not rubbery!

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

Do you live under a rock or haven't you heard about this;

I completely forgot about the hybrid cooler, but like I said, I messaged EVGA if it is usable with the stock shroud or must I use the provided "golden" one, because that would clash with my black/white build :(

I completely forgot about the hybrid cooler, but like I said, I messaged EVGA if it is usable with the stock shroud or must I use the provided "golden" one, because that would clash with my black/white build :(

Did u already got a message back from evga?

Did u already got a message back from evga?

Just an hour ago. And yes, it is usable with the stock shroud and without any modding, you just have to be careful with routing the hoses :) so once they are in stock I will grab one immediatelly

Just an hour ago. And yes, it is usable with the stock shroud and without any modding, you just have to be careful with routing the hoses :) so once they are in stock I will grab one immediatelly

Danm thats awesome i will get me one of those then, but where in the shroud docu put the hoses? And what about the fan blower on the card itself?

Danm thats awesome i will get me one of those then, but where in the shroud docu put the hoses? And what about the fan blower on the card itself?

You leave the fan part intact, just remove the rear part with the "glass" part and the heatsink below it... I will do it like this maybe:

http://forums.evga.com/download.axd?file=0;2331877&where=message&f=m__fb4317714e1dfb1...72221554233__m.jpg

You leave the fan part intact, just remove the rear part with the "glass" part and the heatsink below it... I will do it like this maybe:http://forums.evga.com/download.axd?file=0;2331877&where=message&f=m__fb4317714e1dfb1...72221554233__m.jpg

Ah that doesn't look so nice don't u think? So the blower will stay intact does that mean it will be turned on when u start it?

what's wrong with a Kraken g10? doesn't look too bad!

if you just want to keep the nvidia logo I'm sure someone will do a laser cut sticker you can slap on it!

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

My brother sanded off the green on his reference 970. It looks pretty sweet but you have to be really careful not to sand off the edges around the LED.

CPU: Ryzen R7 1700X Motherboard: ASRock X370 Gaming K4 CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 RAM: Crucial 32GB 12400Mhz GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Edition

SSD: PNY 240GB HDD: Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ Case: NZXT S340 Display: Dell P2416D

Camera: Samsung NX1 Audio: Tascam DR-40 Mic: Rode NTG2

Interface: Focusrite 18i20 Monitors: Event 20/20's Mic: Blue Bluebird DAW: Steinberg's Cubase 7.5, Adobe Audition CC

Guitar: MIM Fender Stratocaster Amp: Peavey Classic Chorus 212 Pedals: Dunlop High Gain Volume, Big Muff Germanium Pi, Boss DD-3 Delay, Roland Tuner

Ah that doesn't look so nice don't u think? So the blower will stay intact does that mean it will be turned on when u start it?

I will try to do it nicely and yes, the blower will work :) maybe like this:

http://www.kitguru.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/nvidia_geforce_gtx_titan_x_hybrid_sycom.jpg

what's wrong with a Kraken g10? doesn't look too bad!

if you just want to keep the nvidia logo I'm sure someone will do a laser cut sticker you can slap on it!

I simply dont like the look of the g10, plus I would have to get passive heatsinks for VRMs etc, which will also kill the look, but that is just my opinion

I will try to do it nicely and yes, the blower will work :) maybe like this:

http://www.kitguru.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/nvidia_geforce_gtx_titan_x_hybrid_sycom.jpg

I simply dont like the look of the g10, plus I would have to get passive heatsinks for VRMs etc, which will also kill the look, but that is just my opinion

Its of my understanding that the vrms just contact the Kraken plate with the thermal pads, and the fan does the rest of the work.

well that's what I thought and planned for my 980ti.half tempted to do a full water loop though.. not becaus3 I need it.. but because it will look the tits in an air540!!