Fury X Memory Overclocked by 20%

The people over at uk.hardware.info have managed to overclock the HBM memory of the R9 Fury X by 20% through a Catalyst Control Center (CCC) glitch.

Apparently after every few system reboots, a Memory clock slider in CCC Overdrive became available:

Officially there is no option to adjust the memory clocks, but (probably due to a bug in the drivers) we did see a slider to adjust memory clock frequency after every other few reboots. Hence, we could also raise the memory clock.

In the end we managed to get a 3DMark Fire Strike score of 16963 points on overclocked settings, a nice increase on the standard 14098 points we achieved.

Given the extremely high memory bandwidth of HBM already, it is hard to say if a 20% increase would make a big difference in normal gaming - let alone worth the risk.

What does this mean? It could mean that the memory clocks are simply not adjustable yet until Afterburner or Trixx receive an update. Given time I'm sure someone will figure it out. The downside of this news is that we still don't know whether the core voltage can be unlocked yet, as CCC never allows voltage adjustment on any AMD cards - 3rd party software like AB or Trixx is necessary for that. Given the deliberate remarks of AMD that the Fury X is "an overclockers dream," one would hope voltage isn't completely locked down, but we will have to wait and see.

amd-radeon-r9-fury-x.jpg

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

It's a repost, someone else already beat you to it bro.

I was going to ask for game benchmarks. Where is the repost link?

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

you could be nice and link ppl like me that didn't see it :(

(this post is new to me xD)

"When you're in high school you should be doing things, about which you could never tell your parents!"

Well, he posted it as news... It [The source] might have legit points but I was only asking because it doesn't look very trustful (no videos, GPU-z validations, etc...)

So:

salt.jpg

This is a signature.

They should of tested it on the 4K one.

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

It's hard to say if 20% would make a difference? Well over clocking gddr5 makes no difference so do you honestly think that overclocking hbm which is overkill memory would make a difference? It will probably be a couple years before hbm is something that effects gaming in a meaningful way.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

It's hard to say if 20% would make a difference? Well over clocking gddr5 makes no difference so do you honestly think that overclocking hbm which is overkill memory would make a difference? It will probably be a couple years before hbm if something that effects gaming in a meaningful way.

20 % aka 600 MHz base total frequency means 614,4 GB/s, at stock still a crazy bandwidth

This is a signature.

It's hard to say if 20% would make a difference? Well over clocking gddr5 makes no difference so do you honestly think that overclocking hbm which is overkill memory would make a difference? It will probably be a couple years before hbm if something that effects gaming in a meaningful way.

Since when did overclocking GDDR5 not make a difference lmfao?

Any GPU limited game is going to benefit from it.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Since when did overclocking GDDR5 not make a difference lmfao?

Any GPU limited game is going to benefit from it.

Yeah you are right. You are so right smart guy. I forgot about that extra 1fps you will get from an extra 400mhz on memory.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

you could be nice and link ppl like me that didn't see it :(

(this post is new to me xD)

He meant my crap :(

This is a signature.

He meant my crap  :(

Yours is fine, I should have searched beyond the news section before posting.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Yours is fine, I should have searched beyond the news section before posting.

You wouldn't find it in news section, as I posted it as a question in GPU section...

This is a signature.

Yeah you are right. You are so right smart guy. I forgot about that extra 1fps you will get from an extra 400mhz on memory.

Here's a tomb raider benchmark:

Stock:

iGpsV.jpg

OC:

Max FPS went up by 6, minimum went up 2, average up by 4.

That's a max increase of 9% FPS, that's nearly the difference between a 970 and a 980.

iGpuC.jpg

GPU OC & VRAM OC:

iGpI2.jpg

Tests done by JayzTwoCents

iGoMA.jpg iGoO1.jpg

IDK about you, but I'll take a 10% improvement for very very little increased heat output & power draw, especially since it's for free!

Keep in mind, at higher framerates, that 10% will make an even bigger difference.  If you were at 100 FPS, you'd be at 106-110 with that memory OC.  Totally worth it IMO, especially since it takes virtually zero effort.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

He meant my crap  :(

ah! x)

"When you're in high school you should be doing things, about which you could never tell your parents!"

1fps..yea

7fb873c4e3.png

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

614GB/s is hella fast.

That's up from 512GB/s. HBM looking pretty good.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Here's a tomb raider benchmark:

Stock:

iGpsV.jpg

OC:

Max FPS went up by 6, minimum went up 2, average up by 4.

That's a max increase of 9% FPS, that's nearly the difference between a 970 and a 980.

iGpuC.jpg

GPU OC & VRAM OC:

iGpI2.jpg

Tests done by JayzTwoCents

iGoMA.jpg iGoO1.jpg

IDK about you, but I'll take a 10% improvement for very very little increased heat output & power draw, especially since it's for free!

Keep in mind, at higher framerates, that 10% will make an even bigger difference.  If you were at 100 FPS, you'd be at 106-110 with that memory OC.  Totally worth it IMO, especially since it takes virtually zero effort.

Dude, how many people are going to be able to overclock their VRAM even half as much as that? That's about 3x my maximum stable offset.

Yeah, OCing the Vram definitely makes a difference. Going from 1250 to 1500 on my 290's memory was worth several hundred points in firestrike alone and about 3-4% gain in fps in gaming. Add that to the 5-10% gain from OCing the core and yeah, it's worth it. ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Dude, how many people are going to be able to overclock their VRAM even half as much as that? That's about 3x my maximum stable offset.

The point about the post is that it does make a difference

The point about the post is that it does make a difference

But for the average person in a demanding game? Not really, no. If you have to use a golden sample to prove your point, it doesn't hold up.

I don't suppose they could have benchmarked a real game once they'd managed to overclock the HBM. Sure, memory overclocking helped in Battlefield 4 and Tomb Raider, but that was GDDR5.

Nice driver bug I guess.

But for the average person in a demanding game? Not really, no. If you have to use a golden sample to prove your point, it doesn't hold up.

With my 760's I could only manage a 100Mhz offset which was pretty awful, despite that it improved performance by an average of 2%. More is more, memory OC's do make a difference period.