Scared of flying?

melias24

Hey guys, so i found out we are flying for an hour and a half on Tuesday. Anyway, i am scared of heights and flight. I will be flying with Virgin in Australia and it will only be a short flight at an hour and a half, but i am literally crapping myself. I wasn't scared when i was little because, i had no concept of fear or plane crashes etc. Anyway, i am really scared of flying and the last time i went on a plane i was sweating for the whole time which was the same time of flight as this. Any tips on how to chill out? I thought we were driving down, but we are flying so yea...

And is it true that flying is safer then driving?

~Elias

Main PC: Core i5 4670 | MSI Mpower Max z87 | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4gb | Stock intel cooler | PNY GTX 770 2gb (hoping to upgrade) | Seagate 1tb 7200rpm | Corsair RM850 | Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PCCG custom sleeved black/yellow extensions | Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue | Corsair M45 |

Phone: LG Nexus 5 | Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-PDG1, Shure SRH440 | Laptop: Asus 303la (i5 model, 1600x900 res) | Motorbikes: 2004 Sherco 290i, 2013 Husqvarna CR125 | Xbox one

The chance of crashing is super small though, there are hundreds of planes flying at the same time.

I was scared of flying when I was younger but now I'm not anymore.

Don't worry, yes, flying is said to be safer than driving. Also the actual likeliness that you would crash is very low

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

My aunties been a air hostess for like 5 years and she's not dead

Oh and I just download movies to my iPad before I go and watch them on the plane

My aunties been a air hostess for like 5 years and she's not dead

I was scared of flying when I was younger but now I'm not anymore.

Don't worry, yes, flying is said to be safer than driving. Also the actual likeliness that you would crash is very low

The chance of crashing is super small though, there are hundreds of planes flying at the same time.

Alright guys thanks. Well i saw it was a 1 in 17 million chance (in US) and 1 in 14000 chance of driving.

The world’s safest airlines

1. Finnair

2. Air New Zealand

3. Cathay Pacific

4. Emirates

5. Etihad

6. EVA Air

7. TAP Portugal

8. Hainan Airlines

9. Virgin Australia

10. British Airways

No. 9 Which i happen to be flying with....

Main PC: Core i5 4670 | MSI Mpower Max z87 | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4gb | Stock intel cooler | PNY GTX 770 2gb (hoping to upgrade) | Seagate 1tb 7200rpm | Corsair RM850 | Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PCCG custom sleeved black/yellow extensions | Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue | Corsair M45 |

Phone: LG Nexus 5 | Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-PDG1, Shure SRH440 | Laptop: Asus 303la (i5 model, 1600x900 res) | Motorbikes: 2004 Sherco 290i, 2013 Husqvarna CR125 | Xbox one

Oh and I just download movies to my iPad before I go and watch them on the plane

I'd do that if i didn't get motion sick :P

-snip-

Nah, no need to be scared.

But what if they fly into each other?! :o 

/jk

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Hey guys, so i found out we are flying for an hour and a half on Tuesday. Anyway, i am scared of heights and flight. I will be flying with Virgin in Australia and it will only be a short flight at an hour and a half, but i am literally crapping myself. I wasn't scared when i was little because, i had no concept of fear or plane crashes etc. Anyway, i am really scared of flying and the last time i went on a plane i was sweating for the whole time which was the same time of flight as this. Any tips on how to chill out? I thought we were driving down, but we are flying so yea...

~Elias

the chance of dying in a plane is really low, 1 in 11 million planes crash... 

http://www.wikihow.com/Overcome-a-Fear-of-Flying

(dutch but this one has a graph)  http://nl.wikihow.com/Zo-kom-je-af-van-je-vliegangst

TL;DR: planes are WAYYYYY safer than cars or boats

~Elias

Yup. The most hazardous part of a 'Plane journey is the drive to the airport.

The chances (especially nowadays ) of anything going catastrophcly wrong is vanishingly small the reason that air crashes seem  prevelent at all is that when they do happen they are so unusual that they dominate the news .  Even if something goes wrong most 'incidents' do not result in a crash and even if you do crash you have a very good chance of just walking away.

So flight -> small chance of incident -> small chance of crash -> small chance of serious injury.

As said in :-

http://anxieties.com/flying-howsafe.php#.VY_QcUbp4YE

"All the statistics and logical thinking in the world may not rid you of this fear " you may need professional help(rather than comments on a forum) to overcome this fear.

Most telling bit from that . You are more likely to die of a Bee sting

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

But what if they fly into each other?! :o 

/jk

Yap, TCAS :)

Alright guys thanks. Well i saw it was a 1 in 17 million chance (in US) and 1 in 14000 chance of driving.

1. Finnair

2. Air New Zealand

3. Cathay Pacific

4. Emirates

5. Etihad

6. EVA Air

7. TAP Portugal

8. Hainan Airlines

9. Virgin Australia

10. British Airways

Really Virgin? I've never heard of them having issues.. Tiger on the other hand... Ha.

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

~Elias

1/11 000 000 . Tougher to win the lottery ...

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

1. Have a beer and a whiskey before boarding.

2. Board plane.

3. ???

4. Profit.

i'm 13 o.0

I tend to just listen to music. Pretty much my answer to everything stress related. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

1. Finnair

2. Air New Zealand

3. Cathay Pacific

4. Emirates

5. Etihad

6. EVA Air

7. TAP Portugal

8. Hainan Airlines

9. Virgin Australia

10. British Airways

The airlines ive flown are not even on that list and ive experienced nothing more then mild turbulence.

Also looking up that stuff is going to do nothing to make you anymore comfortable.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Flying was or perceived to be safer then driving in the past but after 911 and the constant threat of the terrorists thinking if would be nice to harm innocent people to get back at the people we afraid/can't get to.....not to mention the many not so random crazy person who can "wig out" due to some fear on a plane...i am also afraid to fly unless i can carry a personal parachute then i don't want to fly if i can help it. 

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

What ever you do, get Tomato juice.

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

i'm 13 o.0

So? ;) Just kidding, don't do that then, that's out of the question.

Music is good, movies, things that'll distract you. Try some breathing exercises to calm you down.

I've done enough long-haul flights that it's not a big deal anymore; my biggest fear is failing to catch the flight or my things being stolen by security (they stole most of my cleaning products - which were within regulations and inside my suitcase - when I was on my way to China).

Sig under construction.

The chances of crashing, much less dying, are very small. I hear there are over 100k people in the air at any given time. The only reason you hear about plane incidents on the news are because they're so rare, and because the media is f*cked up and only reports on things that'll get them views. Like "controversial" issues, extremely rare crashes, to twisted messes only showing tiny parts of the story and outright fabricated stories.

I don't do signatures.

Flying was or perceived to be safer then driving in the past but after 911 and the constant threat of the terrorists thinking if would be nice to harm innocent people to get back at the people we afraid/can't get to

Complete and utter bollox. 

How many died in total on 9/11 not just the ones on 'planes but the total?  Compare this too how many die on the roads (year round not one specific day) I have heard this likened to a full 727 crashing every day, that's many more than the four  plane loads plus (say)5,000 on the ground .

Whilst these deaths were still horrible and udeserved to say flying is more dangerous now because of them is complete and utter tosh.

Sounds like someone is trying to justify their fear of flying.

If you are so afraid of terrorism that you let it affect your life then the terrorists have had the desired effect

"This too shall pass"

Northmountain, on 28 Jun 2015 - 12:25 PM, said:snapback.png

1. Have a beer and a whiskey before boarding.

2. Board plane.

3. ???

4. Profit.

i'm 13 o.0

So instead of "have a beer ..." change it to "sneak/filch a beer... " ;)

"This too shall pass"

1. Finnair

2. Air New Zealand

3. Cathay Pacific

4. Emirates

5. Etihad

6. EVA Air

7. TAP Portugal

8. Hainan Airlines

9. Virgin Australia

10. British Airways

lol Southwest is not on there. That is what I use.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.