USB vs PIC sound card

The Nut

Hi

Not long ago i posted asbout getting a sound card (http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38800-will-a-cheap-sound-card-make-a-notice-able-difference/), however on speacking to some people they suggested a USB card dew to the price and Low EMF.

so over a asus DG would you suggest this card :http://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-Computers/Behringer-UCA202-Audio-Interface/79E?origin=product-ads&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_campaign=PLA+Behringer&utm_content=Lsz7DEhS|dc_pcrid_30248802799_plid__kword__match__

the 

Behringer UCA202?

Thanks

I would go for a PCI sound card if I had the option.

Why?

and  specifically   between  these 2  which  is better? 

More power(from the PCI interface)=higher headphone power output.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

ok, but if you l0ok at the other post i am using speacker so that should not matter?

on terms of overall audio quality  which  would win? 

NO matter what a PCI sound card will have better quality audio output.  The USB cards are limited in bandwidth and are often much smaller and have much less room for components and can cause more interference. 

Most likely the Xonar DG.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

What Godlygamer23 said or the DGX if you dont have PCI slot. Its the same card with a PCIE interface

you seem to be saying "Genially" but specifically which is beater?

I have a bottom mounted psu so would that cause EFM?

Also is the UCA202 low quality enough for the  components  to  cause interference? 

Thanks

Hi

Not long ago i posted asbout getting a sound card (http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38800-will-a-cheap-sound-card-make-a-notice-able-difference/), however on speacking to some people they suggested a USB card dew to the price and Low EMF.

so over a asus DG would you suggest this card :http://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-Computers/Behringer-UCA202-Audio-Interface/79E?origin=product-ads&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_campaign=PLA+Behringer&utm_content=Lsz7DEhS|dc_pcrid_30248802799_plid__kword__match__

the 

Behringer UCA202?

Thanks

yeah, I'd recommend it, as long as you don't use the headphone out, it's a good DAC with just the line outs

NO matter what a PCI sound card will have better quality audio output. The USB cards are limited in bandwidth

As far as DACs are concerned, the bandwidth doesn't matter.  24bit/96khz is twice the limits of audible transparency as it is.

often much smaller and have much less room for components and can cause more interference. 

Implementation determines the amount of interferencce.  Most noticable interference occurs from sources outside the circuitry of the amplfier.  Like say, in your example, case fans and hard drives.  Some analog circuitry can deal with this better than others, however, "sheilding" has much less to do with it than proper grounding.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

NO matter what a PCI sound card will have better quality audio output.  The USB cards are limited in bandwidth and are often much smaller and have much less room for components and can cause more interference. 

>interference

Got any proof for that? When I had my Asus Xonar DG in my build I would get EMI from my GPU or my power supply so I would hear a constant static. Once I stopped using the DG altogether and used my E10 which is external, the static and EMI ceased to exist.

Install Gentoo GNU/Linux | "You have been placed on moderator queue. This means that all content you submit will need to be approved by a moderator before it will be shown." | top LEL

Build specs: Corsair 540, i7 2600K @ 4.2Ghz, Asrock z77 extreme4, 16gb DDR3 @1866, 2 x 1TB, GTX 560 ti
Monitors: Asus VG236H, Dell U2713HM Headphones: Koss PortaPro, DT 770 80ohm, AT-AD700 | Steam profile

Yo! I have both the Xonar DG and the UCA202 in my system and I can say straight up the Xonar is 500% better than the UCA. In fidelity, volume, EQ, features... just unbeatable..

As for EMI, I don't get any using with it being below my GPU, however when it's ontop of it I get the worst noise ever from the GPU. Keep the GPU far away and it should be fine..

--Xenon-VI - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X @ 4.4GHz 1.34V (Gib 4950X) - MSI MEG X570 Unify -  48GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600MHz - MSI WindForce // NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080Ti @ 2GHz Core 7GHz Mem flashed with 350W BIOS (SOLD, Temporary 1660 waiting for 3090) - 240GB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 PCIE - OS Drive - 1TB SanDisk Ultra II SSD - 1TB Crucial BX500 SSD (SHIT, DONT BUY) - 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SSD - EVGA 750W G2 80+ Gold - Lian Li O11D - 9x Corsair SP120RGB - Corsair Commander - Corsair Hydro X Pump/Res - 360mm Thicc Radiator - Hydro X CPU Block - 3090 Waterblock soon come 

1x Acer 27" XV273K 4K 144Hz G-Sync - 1x LG 24UD58 24" 3840x2160 60Hz - 1x Iiyama 28" 3840x2160 60Hz - Valve Index Headset! 

Corsair K95 Platinum RGB MX Reds & Corsair Dark Core RGB 
Philips Fidelio X2HR w/ JDSLabs Atom & Topping D10 DSD DAC

Yo! I have both the Xonar DG and the UCA202 in my system and I can say straight up the Xonar is 500% better than the UCA. In fidelity, volume, EQ, features... just unbeatable..

As for EMI, I don't get any using with it being below my GPU, however when it's ontop of it I get the worst noise ever from the GPU. Keep the GPU far away and it should be fine..

you weren't using it for headphones were you?

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

That's like, the opposite of reality.

That's like, the opposite of reality.

you probably could make an internal soundcard that performed admirably, but it wouldn't be any better than a USB device.  Not to mention, way too much work when you're Asus and you can slap a TI op-amp on it and say it's "for audiophiles".

Wow I'm confused now on why external is better than internal lol.

Less interference, can have it's own cleaner power supply, can have analog volume controls, no drivers, etc.

Wow I'm confused now on why external is better than internal lol.

also you can take it with you. plug it into laptops. etc.

I like how they say that USB is not going to be good for audio, when all the really high end dacs from the likes of Schiit and Audio Engine, and nothing but USB. Though in this case and this budget the Zonar is a better sounding and longer lasting option. 

I like how they say that USB is not going to be good for audio, when all the really high end dacs from the likes of Schiit and Audio Engine, and nothing but USB. Though in this case and this budget the Zonar is a better sounding and longer lasting option. 

Exactly my thought. There are DACs with prices > 25k USD which have several digital inputs, but often deliver the best jitter-free results over USB :D

And yes, you can use most of this DACs as external sound cards :P

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Though in this case and this budget the Zonar is a better sounding and longer lasting option.

Except that PCI is all but completely phased out.

• 4 weeks later...

you weren't using it for headphones were you?

I'm using it for a Roccat Kave

--Xenon-VI - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X @ 4.4GHz 1.34V (Gib 4950X) - MSI MEG X570 Unify -  48GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600MHz - MSI WindForce // NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080Ti @ 2GHz Core 7GHz Mem flashed with 350W BIOS (SOLD, Temporary 1660 waiting for 3090) - 240GB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 PCIE - OS Drive - 1TB SanDisk Ultra II SSD - 1TB Crucial BX500 SSD (SHIT, DONT BUY) - 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SSD - EVGA 750W G2 80+ Gold - Lian Li O11D - 9x Corsair SP120RGB - Corsair Commander - Corsair Hydro X Pump/Res - 360mm Thicc Radiator - Hydro X CPU Block - 3090 Waterblock soon come 

1x Acer 27" XV273K 4K 144Hz G-Sync - 1x LG 24UD58 24" 3840x2160 60Hz - 1x Iiyama 28" 3840x2160 60Hz - Valve Index Headset! 

Corsair K95 Platinum RGB MX Reds & Corsair Dark Core RGB 
Philips Fidelio X2HR w/ JDSLabs Atom & Topping D10 DSD DAC