let's build a standard gaming pc for benchmark games

7850OC

let's build a "standard" gaming pc "for benchmark" games

we can agree that most of gamers have some type of "standard hardware"

for example... mostly have

a 1080p monitor (yes, sorry for break your bubble, but 4k is not a "standard" today)

a DX11 machine (and DX12 in short time)

a HDD (and no, a SSD is not a "standard" and will never be, sorry man, i know you love that)

a 4 threads cpu (of any company)

and here is where the things get complicated, the gpu

what "gaming power" have a "standard" gpu ?

for me... is the R9 270X (or the new R7 370)

or "any card" with the same power "from any company"

and for you ?

what is your standard ?

not the card that you have

we are looking for "the card that most of the players" have

at least we can see some "familiar numbers" instead...

"4k with 100 cores !!! lol  :lol: (and 20 SSD on raid)"

i5 4440, GTX 960-970 (or AMD R9 270-280x or similar 300 series GPU's), 8GB RAM, HDD and that's about it.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

4 cores intel 

atleast every game higher than 80 fps on ultra for gpu nvidia. 

2 ssd raid 0

4 2tb hdd 

3 good monitors. 

CPU: Intel I7 4790K 4.8 Ghz || Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus Hero 6 Z87 || Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1600 Mhz || GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Ti STRIX || Storage: 2 x SSD Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB RAID 0 HDD Western Digital 1 TB Black || PSU: Corsair AX 860 watt || Cooling: 2 x AF 140mm (front), 2 AF120 Blue LED (bottom and back), 2 SP120 (top on radiator) ||  CPU cooler: Corsair H100i GTX || Case: Corsair obsidian 750D <3 <3 <3 

I would argue an SSD is standard, as you can get them very cheap these days and are a staple recommendation at most price points besides the ultra cheap. I would also say something around the GTX 960 and R9 280 class GPU is standard, as that area is the most popular.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Well you don't want bottlenecking, and TBH the i7 isn't exactly within the budget of a lot of gamers, so perhaps an i5 4690K, or a locked one (eg. i5 4440/4460)? Only the budget gaming rigs don't include a boot SSD and at least a 1TB HDD-so a 128GB SSD and 1TB HDD, as for the graphics card, the GTX 960 is slower than the R9 280X, so add that. As for a good budget gaming 1080p screen, the LG 24EN43 will do the job quite well. 8GB of RAM is the minimum for quite a few games now, and considering how cheap it is there is no reason not to have 8GB of RAM.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

i am 14 mncraft runs good in g3258 AMD SHIT xD XD

Evrithin

G3258 + Titan X.

/s

AMD 860K @ 4.3GHz ; Kingston HyperX Fury 2400MHz ; Asus A88XM-Plus ; Sapphire R9 270X 2GB ; 600W Tacens Radix VII AG 80+Silver  ; Cooler Master TX3 Evo

How high are you? 

Ikr? Those who think that SSD's don't boost system performance have to be smoking something.

PMSL

SSD is not a standard and will be when it reaches the same price per capacity of HDD.

SSDs only enhance loading times, wasting money on it instead of parts is unproductive as you don't get any performance improvement, just loading times.

AMD 860K @ 4.3GHz ; Kingston HyperX Fury 2400MHz ; Asus A88XM-Plus ; Sapphire R9 270X 2GB ; 600W Tacens Radix VII AG 80+Silver  ; Cooler Master TX3 Evo

To me standard means what most people have and what works well without spending too much. Which in my opinion is an i5 and 970/290/290X/780 combo. 

What card do most people have? It'd have to be a 970, 980 or 780Ti.

What is my standard? Coming from a console pretty much anything. But 60FPS+ is a must and I HAVE to run on settings above medium. I also love a nice render distance on games that have a customisable one (like minecraft and H1Z1).

Some things I need from a system:

4 threads and cores 

SSD above 60GB

Nice case. It's what the majority of the system actually looks like FFS! Make sure it looks nice!!

Reliable PSU, I need the peace of mind.

Quiet, nuff said

Intel CPU. AMD sux bro suk a nut

Can't have an Asrock mobo. I just don't like them.

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate RAM: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB SSD: OCZ 100 ARC 240GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Graphics Card: Powercolor PCS+ R9 390 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) Power Supply: EVGA G2 750W Monitor: LG 29UM67-P 29" 21:9 Freesync Sexiness Mouse: Razer Deathadder ChromKeyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Headset: Turtle Beach Ear Force XP400

Pentium G3258 and a 960/280x

And yes most gaming PCs do in fact have an SSD >_>

Locked i5 4690

B85 mATX mobo

1TB HDD

120GB SSD (boot disc)

8GB 1600MHz RAM

AMD Radeon R9 290X (due to its current price to performance)

650w Powersupply 80+ Bronze/Silver minimum

i think that is a fair setup. We should strive to reccomend SSDs as boot discs even in low budget setups. Not because it helps too much with performance, but because unless we give Seagate and WD a hard time with their HDDs, they wont bother to improve that technology or adapt SSD technology.

SSDs are the future, and the more money we as consumers dump into it, the more it will evolve at the benefit of US.

How high are you? 

No officer, it "Hi, how are you?" 

/jk

But I would argue SSD standard.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Copy pasta :

2,5 ghz dual or quad core

1gb video card ( amd or nvidia )

etc

I don't see the point in this though, test what settings you can run on a basic PC ?

Recommend what is best, not what you preffer.

"Like" comments to show your support of them or the idea they express.

SSD is not a standard and will be when it reaches the same price per capacity of HDD.

SSDs only enhance loading times, wasting money on it instead of parts is unproductive as you don't get any performance improvement, just loading times.

Except there is loading times in EVERYTHING you do.  System response is a hard to measure but easy to experience metric that an SSD provides in buckets.  FPS doesn't mean anything if by the time you finished loading, everyone is half way across the map already.  You need to learn about HDD response times and que depth management.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Except there is loading times in EVERYTHING you do.  System response is a hard to measure but easy to experience metric that an SSD provides in buckets.  FPS doesn't mean anything if by the time you finished loading, everyone is half way across the map already.  You need to learn about HDD response times and que depth management.

And the fact that consumer HDD peaked years ago, and aren't going to be making any large advancements any time soon.

PMSL

i5 4690k, gtx 770, 500GB HDD, 240GB corsair force LS SSD

Not my pc but one I built for a friend ;)

a 1080p monitor (yes, sorry for break your bubble, but 4k is not a "standard" today)

I actually run 1440p...

...width.

Main Rig "Melanie" (click!) -- AMD Ryzen7 1800X • Gigabyte Aorus X370-Gaming 5 • 3x G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 8GB • Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming • Corsair RM750x • Phanteks Enthoo Pro --

HTPC "Keira" -- AMD Sempron 2650 • MSI AM1I • 2x Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866 8GB • ASUS ENGTX 560Ti • Corsair SF450 • Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV Shift --

Laptop "Abbey" -- AMD E-350 • HP 646982-001 • 1x Samsung DDR3 1333 4GB • AMD Radeon HD 6310 • HP MU06 Notebook Battery • HP 635 case --

Loading time is performance. SSDs are cheap enough - $80 for 250GB. That's Windows + 3-15 games depending on the size of games / applications installed.

How high are you? 

really ?

so... for you 

a 500 GB HDD is equal to a 32 GB SSD

is it ? 

try put a OS and 8 AAA games in a 32 GB, sure... sure  <_<

really ?

so... for you 

is it ? 

Your being an idiot. the standard SSD/HDD config-which is found in nearly all gaming rigs not at the ultra budget end is a 128-256GB SSD and a 1TB HDD. Also, that remark about 32GB  SSD shows how little you know about recent computers.

PMSL

really ?

so... for you 

is it ? 

I, and pretty much everyone else, would rather have something open fast than slow. Not hard to manage storage if you're an enthusiast--and if you're not, you probably have 0 issue with storage. Again, pay attention, $90 for 250GB of SSD storage. Plenty.

6XVl.png

Everything except my Steam library is om C:\. The games on C; CSGO, Skyrim, Witcher 3.

Sure... sure...

we are looking for "the card that most of the players" have

Intel HD Graphics or GT720/740 would probably be the standard gaming pc GPU. 

I would argue an SSD is standard, as you can get them very cheap these days and are a staple recommendation at most price points besides the ultra cheap. I would also say something around the GTX 960 and R9 280 class GPU is standard, as that area is the most popular.

That's crazy to blow $100 on a 250GB SSD and then pick a crap GPU like a 960 for $200 when you could just pick up a 970 for that same $300.

That's crazy to blow $100 on a 250GB SSD and then pick a crap GPU like a 960 for $200 when you could just pick up a 970 for that same $300.

Who said it was a 250gb ssd? 120 will do initially, plus at 1080p you don't need a 970. A 960 enough currently for HD gaming and an ssd will do more to improve the overall experience than slightly higher fps and quality, especially if you're using a "standard" 60Hz 1080p monitor, you don't get the full benefit of a 970 anyway.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim