Does anybody care about resolution and fps ?

Lab140

I'm pretty confirmed in my belief that most Mustards are born after the launch of the PS2, so their first gaming experience is likey on the PS360 Generation, this is where they get the inane belief that the 7th gen standard 720 30 is the minimum acceptable experience, its because they want to justify that they are above what they started on 

This thread shows this off in great detail how naive people are on this forum

"720 is the minimum resolution to game at" basically just means to me "I AM FIFTEEN DISREGARD MY OPINIONS"

there's nothing wrong with being fifteen, but people on this forum act so high and mighty about how they know how to overclock a GPU, which is about as impressive as being able to make toast ( seriously move the slider, if you move it too much you overtoast) and call console players uneducated, while they parrot things that they think are truths but are merely their opinion, like

"720 30 is unplayable"

Anyone who says that has clearly never played a console game from before 2006 

OT

I am playing Arkham Knight at 1280x800 on a 560ti with everything off, its an average 40FPS experience with some major drops into single digits, 

And i am having fun

When i am at my main computer with a GTX 760 i target 1920 1200 60 FPS as my lows but i am perfectly okay with what i get in the witcher, which is about 23 average, in competitive or online games i try to aim for at least 60 lows with vsync off 

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

Resolution killed skate 3 for me, I just couldnt deal with it. as for fps I need a stable 30, im content with 30 even on PC but if it starts dipping in under that I start getting moody.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

I'm going to take your sentiment and argue for the opposite. As someone who has been gaming for years? Someone who's first games were from the 8-bit era. Alex Kidd, Captain Comic and then eventually Super Mario Land. Someone who still kinda thinks of Vice City played on a potato with a CRT plugged into the back as a "modern era" game. I got C&C Generals in a Humble bundle a while back, for the nostalgia and I was kinda disappointed when dropping a nuke didn't have that "slideshow" effect I'd grown to almost love.

But even from that perspective..... 720p? eh, I can deal with it. It's ok. Better than standard def. 30fps? What year is this? We live in the god damn future people. We should be demanding more than that. These things are not pocket calculators, they're expensive pieces of hardware. And I'm not talking about just PCs when I say that. Saying that 30fps ok to me sounds the same as someone saying that floppy drives and making a coffee while your PC boots are ok. It shouldn't even be a question.

And to the others going on about PC gaming elitism? I have a PC but I also have all of Nintendo's platforms. I hold the same standard to games on the 3DS and Wii U. 60fps should be the target and should be delivered especially if there is the horsepower there. If I can complain when Pokemon on the 3DS drops to 30fps when in battles? You better bet I think games on the PS4 should be held to the same standard.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

I prefer console gaming, mainly because growing up consoles were so popular, all my friends in middle school had them. Also talking in game, I am not sure about now but back then you had to download ventrilo or teamspeak in order to talk to your friends which was a major hassle. As for the graphics and fps, I don't mind them I still enjoy blops 2 on the 360.

I care about it to a degree, naturally. But if it's fun and looks up to date I don't care whether some number says 30 or 40 frames (as long as it is consistent) or 900P og 1080P.

The debate on this subject is way out of proportion. I think the numbers fixation blinds us to what the experience is actually like and causes a bias in our different opinions on modern gaming.

I used to play on consoles.

Played GTA V on PS3, a lot. And by a lot I mean a shit ton.

I got GTA V for PC this week, and I promise that I was regreting my purchase, saying "stupid me, I already played this game"

Just the 60FPS gave the game new life. 1080p and high details were the icing on the cake.

But you don't care until you see and feel the difference. It's quite a jump.

Once you go with the smoothness of 60FPS is hard to go back. Same goes for 1080p and 720p

720p 30fps is all I need to enjoy myself. Anything else is purely extra really.

On consoles, I can tolerate 30fps, but the game better run at 1080p and look good. I am aware of the hardware limitations relative to a high end pc, and temper my expectations. But on my pc, 1080p 60fps is minimum for me. Ideally, I want 1440p and 60fps average.

The resolution plays a big role for me, but not as much as fps

FPS is important in CS:GO or else you'll get rekt in the butthole

I frankly don't care about frame rate on PC, provided it is no fewer than 20FPS on anything. Yes. 20.

I know some people freak out if it goes below 30 or even 60. But given how my hardware is on the aged side and my priorities are more focussed towards visual fidelity over frame rate, I can make do with what some may call "unacceptable". I deem myself as being more tolerable of this sort of stuff on PC.

On consoles, however - and I genuinely feel this way - I do not give a rat's arse about resolution or frame rate. I don't play games on console expecting high numbers for either. I will admit, it is nice to see those numbers be high as possible, but the resolution is the least of my concern.

For me, I've always had more fun on consoles, but I still massively enjoy playing games on a PC regardless. For me, a PC is more of a technical experience than a games console, but a console is simpler and easier for me to get into.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

Depends on the game, but if you want smoothness, 60FPS is what you want.

30FPS is not smooth no matter what anyone tells you, it is consistent but far from being smooth that's for sure.

As for resolution, yeah, more is better if you have the hardware to push it

720p on a 720p monitor looks good, but 720p on a 1080p monitor doesn't look good, it looks blurry, on 2D sprite-based games that doesn't matter though.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

I really don't mind on resolution between 720p and 1080p. But I must say I prefer to get 60fps where I can. Im more of a console gamer than a PC gamer as I enjoy sitting back in the couch with a controller.

I recently got batman arkham knight on PS4, and straight away I noticed the FPS being 30 when I had played all the previous batmans at 60fps on the PC. After a couple hours of playing though I've kind of forgot about it and im enjoying the game itself.

You definitely need an enjoyable game above anything else, then the rest is just preference.

The games on consoles are being optimised better all the time though so I don't think this should be much of an issue. Also with a PC you can say you can get a similar price/cheaper than console but everybody who says this will upgrade there gpu every 2/3 years or so on average. I will have my PS4/Xbox one for another 5 years at least unless it breaks without having to spend more money on the actual console.

I do enjoy it all though, which is why I got ps4/xbox/pc. I have friends on all and at the end of the day if you enjoy what your playing nothing else should matter.

I'll recommend 1440p at over 120fps with gsync if you ask me.

Glorious PC Gaming Master Race

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

I care more about resolution than FPS. I play GTA V at 1920x1080 on high settings and it looks gorgeous. I get avg probably 40 fps, which is completely playable to me.

/AMD FX-6350 o/c to 4.4/Sapphire r9 270x 2GB/2x8GB HyperX Fury red/MSI 970 Gaming/EVGA 500B/NZXT S340/Corsair H100i V2/HyperX Fury 120GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB/                                   

I pretty much can't play a game in anything lower than 1080p, 60 fps. With very demanding titles, I can live with 30 fps.

My Build: i7-4790K, 212 Evo, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR3-1600, Intel 730 240GB SSD, WD Blue 1TB, EVGA GTX 980Ti ACX 2.0, NZXT H440 Blue/Black, EVGA 650W 80+Gold.

Most of the time, it's not the computer, it's the person using it.

Now don't get me wrong I know both of these have an impact on games. I do have a interest in them and computers as a whole and I know if you want the BEST looking game you need a pc but for me when I want to play a game I just like sitting back and enjoying the game with friends, and resolution and fps does  not really affect this. 

I should also add I have a ps4 and prefer it over a pc for gaming any day of the week.

I also posted this in the console gaming part to try and talk to other like mined people and not to get posts regarding high spec pcs

I play consoles too, but 1080p 30fps should really be a minimum, and the fact that consoles cant reach this, its just...

asdsadaecopy.png

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

the fact that consoles cant reach this, its just...

"fact " is used pretty loosely here,the majority of games are 1080 30 or higher

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

Ever since I started playing games at 60FPS, I can't stand lower (at least not in action games). Goes for both PC and console, 30FPS feels sluggish to me. Heck, The witcher 3 had this issue where it would be capped at 45FPS when using borderless windowed. It annoyed me to no end.

Resolution doesn't bother me as much, as long as it's reasonable (not 800x600)

Its not a pc gaming forum its a tech forum and I posted about console gaming in the console area.

Seeing as the most active subforums are in the computer hardware section, I think it's safe to say that LTT is pretty much a PC forum.

Yes, it's linus TECH tips, but the majority of linus' videos cover PC hardware

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

"fact " is used pretty loosely here,the majority of games are 1080 30 or higher

No, no they arent, most console games struggle to hit 30fps, they even drop as low as 19fps, i can recommend digital foundry as a youtube channel, they show the newest releases and measure fps in games, you will see how weak consoles are, i have an Xbox one, and it barely runs any games at 1080p, it usally runs them at 900p. YES i know the PS4 is slightly stronger, but it doesent help if the games arent even hitting 30fps, i love consoles aswell, but i REALLY cant defend them when it comes to how good they are at running games, and neither can you... But then you say, but but but, COD & Halo are running at 60fps, no, they drop below that.... ALOT, and COD & Halo definetely isnt the majority of games...

No, no they arent, most console games struggle to hit 30fps, they even drop as low as 19fps

I watch digital Foundry that's why I can say stuff like

GTA V, Shadow of Mordor, Evolve, Drive club, Forza Horizon and plenty of other games are 1080 30

Hell there are about 2 dozen 60fps games like metro (no drops), Wolfenstien (no drops), and Metal Gear (no drops)

Also you seem to confuse minimums with averages and which is more important

I can handle at least 720p@24fps. I'm used to it.

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub