Batman: Arkham Knight doesn't like AMD cards... or any PC at all

Techhog

OMG how much of a fan boy do you need to be not to get this....if it was lazy devs both vendors would be having issues, its not its only AMD that appears to be having issues implying that nvidia are helping the devs and devs are working with nvidia. the devs job and skill set is to make games not deal with drivers, the vendors skill set is much higher and i guarantee that the guys who work for the vendors on drivers could walk through the code for a game with ease, given driver code is far more complex and unless im mistaken is assembly code, the code that is used to write the code that games are written in

Thats_nice.jpg

ill just sit here and wait for a point

Yeah keep spouting nonsense, I'm out.

OMG how much of a fan boy do you need to be not to get this....if it was lazy devs both vendors would be having issues, its not its only AMD that appears to be having issues implying that nvidia are helping the devs and devs are working with nvidia.  the devs job and skill set is to make games not deal with drivers, the vendors skill set is much higher and  i guarantee that the guys who work for the vendors on drivers could walk through the code for a game with ease, given driver code is far more complex and unless im mistaken is assembly code, the code that is used to write the code that games are written in

Thats_nice.jpg

You're ignoring an important question: Should drivers be the determining factor in how optimized a game is? You don't see problems like this in the Trine series for example, which can be demanding but doesn't favor either vendor and is well optimized for both without a specific driver. You're basically saying that devs has no responsibility to make sure their games run well and shouldn't ever reach out to make a game work for as many people as possible. You're free to have that opinion, and I'm free to disagree.

Man I can't even run any games with the new NVIDIA 353.30 driver. It keeps crashing games, and when I tried to take a screenshot in Witcher 3 it locked up my entire system. 

Rolled back to 353.06 and everything is A-Okay.

Also 353.30 removed the Kepler optimizations that 353.06 brought. So Kepler cards are struggling in the Witcher 3 again, and will most likely also do so with Batman.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=400215&page=5

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

"amd can't afford to optimize and help devs so obviously it's nvidia's fault"

this thinking lol

amd shouldnt be the one who does the work the devs should be the one optimizing so its the dev's fault. also the devs use gameworks which is black box code that amd cannot see

amd shouldnt be the one who does the work the devs should be the one optimizing so its the dev's fault. also the devs use gameworks which is black box code that amd cannot see

NVIDIA has to do it, AMD is going to have to do it. Game developers aren't always as competent as engineers who've built drivers to run in thousands more games than developers have made.

AMD has optimized games with Gameworks before (of course, without the use of Gameworks), what's stopping them from doing it again?

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

NVIDIA has to do it, AMD is going to have to do it. Game developers aren't always as competent as engineers who've built drivers to run in thousands more games than developers have made.

AMD has optimized games with Gameworks before (of course, without the use of Gameworks), what's stopping them from doing it again?

sure they can improve it by a few fps but it still going to be really bad

All the Batman Arkham series have favored Nvidia. No surprise here. Plus Nvidia is giving copies of the game away with certain maxwell cards.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

I hope these AMD performance issues wont turn into a trend. It is sad for people that bough expensive cards and they cant really enjoy them.

Ender flame here (please dont  :D ). 

|

V

Not sad for morons who buy AMD 300 series. Its just the 200 series with driver tweaks. Was even stated on WAN show that somebody already found how to get the adjustments in place on 200 series.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

You know that a developer's goofed when their game's minimum GPU requirement for one vendor is significantly more powerful than the same vendor's GPUs in the two consoles that they're already releasing for.

Sure, console development is different than PC. I get that. But such a horrific statement does not give me confidence that the game was competently developed.

I'm curious what (if anything) they'll blame for this. Will they pull an Ubisoft and blame draw calls? Or maybe take a page out of Project Cars's book and whine that AMD didn't want to cooperate with them? Or perhaps they'll find some way to point the finger at AMD's comparably weak tessellation performance?

Should be fun to watch, at least. Time to grab a big ol' bucket of buttery popcorn.

i7-5820K | GTX 980 Ti

what's stopping them is time and resources, they cannot optimize the game twice, you need to know that gameworks library comes late in game developement, when the build is basicaly finished, like the devs of the witcher3 said, when asked about tressfx why didnt they intergrate it, they replied that it was just too late for that.

so either AMD have to wait untill the final build to start opimizing, or get caught in the dirty scheme of Nvidia to suck up more resources by spending twice the time on optimizing the title, before the Nvidia build and after the buld,or Nvidia make it's gamework build early on developement which i think they will not.

the best solution i see is ppl to boycot gamework titles, if they get the reputation of being the most pirated games, i think publisher would think twice before adding it.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but AMD's 15.6 drivers are out and are supposedly optimized for this game.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but AMD's 15.6 drivers are out and are supposedly optimized for this game.

Just as I suspected:

AMD Crossfire support is currently disabled for Batman™: Arkham Knight while AMD works closely with Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment to resolve the issue. An update for this issue will be released as soon as it is available

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Just as I suspected:

Good thing I don't use Crossfire, eh? xD

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Good thing I don't use Crossfire, eh? xD

That makes 2 of us :mellow:

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

OMG how much of a fan boy do you need to be not to get this....if it was lazy devs both vendors would be having issues, its not its only AMD that appears to be having issues implying that nvidia are helping the devs and devs are working with nvidia.  the devs job and skill set is to make games not deal with drivers, the vendors skill set is much higher and  i guarantee that the guys who work for the vendors on drivers could walk through the code for a game with ease, given driver code is far more complex and unless im mistaken is assembly code, the code that is used to write the code that games are written in

I don't get why I have to be a fan boy to understand that both sides must work together. If you think the developers job has nothing to do with helping the graphics vendors improving their drivers or optimizing the game in general, you are sadly mistaken. Especially due to this third party dependency, of course they have to work more closely with Nvidia. Do you know how screwed you are if your third party library has problems that makes you unable to do what you want it to do, yet not be able to closely work with that third party vendor?

Also, regardless of how high of a skill set you have, there is no way to just walk through a set of code made by someone else with ease. There are a lot of developers with really weird mindsets, where they accomplish tasks in the most roundabout way in the world. Are you also blaming the terrible performance of PC ports on AMD and Nvidia too? Since you fail to realize it's a entire group effort and not just the GPU vendors...

I wonder what will happen when we turn of Nividia effects!

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

Thats_nice.jpg

with the same logic you are using, you can apply that to Non Gameworks titles, and you will see that they are released with regular issues and optimizations similar for both vendors, this is a proof that AMD works with Devs on their games, and yet when you compare that to Gameworks specificaly these dramatic issues arise and cripples AMD GPUs.

according to your logic AMD specificaly do not work on Gameworks games, to cripple it's performance on purpose, possible but to me it's unlikely.

there are more plausible explanations, like late gamework build, making extremely hard or not possible for AMD to optimize  properly for the release schedule, which seems far more plausible.

anyhow gameworks is bad news for gamers, brought nothing but problems since it was introduced, ethicaly and moraly sketchy implementation of the technology, now when i hear a game is gonna use gameworks, i know before it's release that the launch is going to be chaotic, at least for AMD users, and probably kepler users.

Not sad for morons who buy AMD 300 series. Its just the 200 series with driver tweaks. Was even stated on WAN show that somebody already found how to get the adjustments in place on 200 series.

Why should be someone moron if he buys 300 series? Yes it is stupid to upgrade to 390x if you have 290x now but if you have ATI 5870 it makes sense to go fo 300 instead of 200... at least in my country since the 300 series cards are cheaper than the 200 series cards in most cases.

The Evil Within recommended a 780Ti but ran fine on Ultra at 60fps on a 750Ti. Fingers crossed.

Guys remember- if it stutters then refund immediately after checking usual suspects such as driver updates. That will send a strong message. Include your system specs in the note.

You can buy it in a few weeks when it's fixed. This applies to both Nvidia and AMD users.

Witcher 3 as well had totally lopsided requirements but when the game came out it performed well on AMD.

If it runs on one makers card ok but not the others I fail to see how that's the devs fault.

Devs have been working on the game for years and are supposed to work with all stakeholders to ensure a good experience for all their customers at launch. GTA V achieved that for the most part, as did witcher 3 (apart from hairworks fiasco).

I know the API is different and significantly less overhead, but how the hell can they get it to run on the AMD based consoles, even at lower frame rates and possibly resolutions, if that is the minimum specs. Referrig to both the console GPU and their 8 Jaguar (I think) cores.

It can't always be AMDs fault. I guess it goes back to the discussion regarding game manufacturers shipping broken games expect gpu manufacturers to fix it. Yes Nvidia does a good job at this, but mYbe they shouldn't have to either.

\

Yes, you read that right. A 7950 will perform like a 660 in this game. \

Don't put so much stock in minimum requirements.  It's usually just "here's the lowest specs we tested the game with" and more to the point is it's usually a case of "We tested nvidia/intel, but didn't test AMD so we're just guessing an equivalent".  Lots of devs have old nvidia cards on hand.  I doubt they have anything much older than a 7870 for AMD.

This seems consistent with the past games, which while they did favour Nvidia bit more it wasn't that crippling.

49746.png

49745.png

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

Don't put so much stock in minimum requirements.  It's usually just "here's the lowest specs we tested the game with" and more to the point is it's usually a case of "We tested nvidia/intel, but didn't test AMD so we're just guessing an equivalent".  Lots of devs have old nvidia cards on hand.  I doubt they have anything much older than a 7870 for AMD.

This seems consistent with the past games, which while they did favour Nvidia bit more it wasn't that crippling.

Well, from what I'm hearing this launch is as bad as AC:U's PC launch. It runs like crap no matter what you have anyway. Also, the minimum AMD requirement was 7870 before, but they changed it.