how to solve the western US water crisis

Tocsin_786

Create jobs, make some money, and give back to the drought. I think we have just solved the issues of America right here.

Which of course means that politicians will do the exact opposite, because if they fixed everything, their jobs would essentially become obsolete.

Nuclear plant -> Pipes from the ocean -> pumps

So hard.

WHAT YOU SAY? USE THE HEAT FROM THE POWER PLANTS TO GENERATE ENERGY AND DISTILL OCEAN WATER INTO USABLE WATER?

b...b...bbut nuclear energy is THE DEVIL!

(seriously, I fucking despise California.)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Just so you know, California is in a 4-year drought. That being said, they still have emergency water reserves. It isn't an epidemic, and air-raid sirens aren't blaring all day every day.

To bring water form one place to another is incredibly expensive, and time-consuming. Not to mention difficult. To get through this, it is going to take careful planning, time, and very precise use of the water they have, as well as what is in the reserves. 

Just so you know, California is in a 4-year drought. That being said, they still have emergency water reserves. It isn't an epidemic, and air-raid sirens aren't blaring all day every day.

To bring water form one place to another is incredibly expensive, and time-consuming. Not to mention difficult. To get through this, it is going to take careful planning, time, and very precise use of the water they have, as well as what is in the reserves. 

Or building power plants (solving their power problems) that generate steam as a byproduct (solving their water problems).

But that would make too much sense. Especially with the new liquid sodium cooled nuclear reactors that basically REFUSE to meltdown even when scientists attempt to force them to meltdown. (and other designs, that can use the waste generated from older nuclear reactors to "breed" new fuel for newer nuclear reactors that burn the fuel more completely and generate less waste)

Really, i hate watering only 2 days of the week and seeing my lawn so threadbare.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/what-australia-can-teach-the-world-about-surviving-drought/

Australia has until recently been in a drought which has affected the majority of our population for over a decade. The main two solutions we developed were pipelines and strong laws controling the use of water (which are only starting to be lifted now in some areas). We did have a bunch of plans to build desalination plants but by the time there were ready the were no longer needed. As the above article points out a $6 Billion desalination plant was built in Melbourne and has never been used. We had many more plants planned, and some even had ground work started, but they were canceled.

My PC:

Case: NZXT Phantom 420 | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H-WB WIFI | PSU: Corsair TX650M | CPU: Intel 3570k | CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 with Corsair SP120s in push pull | GPU: AMD 7970 GV-R797OC-3GD | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB | SSD: Samsung 830 256GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

For anyone wondering about newer nuclear reactors that are considered several orders of magnitude safer than the current reactors operational in America :https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integral_fast_reactor#Safety

"Pete Planchon, the engineer who conducted the tests for an international audience quipped "Back in 1986, we actually gave a small [20 MWe] prototype advanced fast reactor a couple of chances to melt down. It politely refused both times." Source for that quote: http://www.ne.anl.gov/About/hn/logos-winter02-psr.shtml

All nuclear reactors generate steam, steam can be condensed into drinkable water.....what's the problem? (not to mention Integral Fast Reactors being more efficient with their fuel, and creating less waste as they "burn the fuel more completely")

The only other solution I see, is planting nuclear devices in the San Andreas fault line, and sinking California ahead of schedule. At least that way we don't have to hear the Californians bitch, and some of the other states re-estate values go up from suddenly being beach from property.

*shots fired. I hate California*

i do like california, but the people there do seem like winey starbucks green mocha machiaoto latte drinking ass holes. 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

i do like california, but the people there do seem like winey starbucks green mocha machiaoto latte drinking ass holes. 

I like what GTA V pointed out. California has the WORST environmental impact of any state in the US, but is FULL of "ecomentalist assholes" that generally have no idea what they are talking about.

All they need to do, is build a couple of IFR's on the coast, convert the steam from those reactors into usable water, and move on with life. But just like republicans, the "leftists" in california are just as purely agenda driven, rather than logic driven. They will ignore the scientific evidence of modern nuclear reactors being retardedly more safe than the previous generation, and continue to legislate in favor of their own poor living situations. HELL, all that nuclear waste we have sitting around? A LOT of it could be converted (or "bred") into fuel for the new generation of reactors, which gets rid of that "waste" that's just sitting around, being a hazard, and doing nothing useful.

It's so funny to me. SO many of the leftists refute scientific evidence of things *COUGH* VACCINES *COUGH*, for similar reasons that creationists refute scientific evidence, yet they hate each other....lol

Such hate on California :(

I live there...

And guess what?

I haven't seen a shitier state. I mean

WHO FUCKING GOES AROUND TRASHING LAWNS IF THEY NSEE A SPRINKLER

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

Such hate on California :(

I live there...

And guess what?

I haven't seen a shitier state. I mean

WHO FUCKING GOES AROUND TRASHING LAWNS IF THEY NSEE A SPRINKLER

Ecomentalists, that's who.

getting rid of western US?

Sample Text ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I can see desalinization plants providing water for cities but water for agriculture which is what... 80%of the usage?

then what happens to these billion dollar job plants when the rains do finally come? keep them running to inefficiently produce salt and dump the water?

contingencies will also be needed for the water pipes if its made what do you use these million dollar pipes for if california is no longer in drought mode.

and lastly. have you ever looked at water laws for rivers and streams? a significant proportion of it has already been allotted and parsed out and any significant re-allocation of such will be in breech of these established laws/contracts.

Better Idea: water de-salination plants.

Seriously, they are on the SINGLE LARGEST BODY OF WATER ON THE PLANET. Desalinate the water, drink the fresh water, sell the salt, and STFU California.

What about all the marine life?

Move out of the deserts you imbeciles.

Or desalinate like the other desert peoples (Israel, Saudi Arabia) are doing.

The only other solution I see, is planting nuclear devices in the San Andreas fault line, and sinking California ahead of schedule. At least that way we don't have to hear the Californians bitch, and some of the other states re-estate values go up from suddenly being beach from property.

*shots fired. I hate California*

who doesn't

(i live in calie )

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.1 Corinthians 13:4

Lol everyone's talking about the cost of moving water from other parts of the continent but forgetting one key fact. That water is an essential part of that specific area's ecosystem. By draining it, you affect it drastically, as with dams. But this time on a much larger scale.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

Yeah that whole Keystone Pipeline thing didn't pass. The left didn't want anything to do with it. So therefore, fuck your water crisis. 

Now, you know what you can expect from these barbarians. They are a race of rabid BASTARDS that will fight us tooth and nail! But they don't know what they're up against. Cyrodiil, is CIVILIZATION! Cyrodiil, is ORDER! Cyrodiil is POWER! And out here, WE. ARE. CYRODIIL. 

Why not reuse urine? 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

Better Idea: water de-salination plants.

Seriously, they are on the SINGLE LARGEST BODY OF WATER ON THE PLANET. Desalinate the water, drink the fresh water, sell the salt, and STFU California.

my thoughts exactly.

- snip-

I like what GTA V pointed out. California has the WORST environmental impact of any state in the US, but is FULL of "ecomentalist assholes" that generally have no idea what they are talking about.

All they need to do, is build a couple of IFR's on the coast, convert the steam from those reactors into usable water, and move on with life. But just like republicans, the "leftists" in california are just as purely agenda driven, rather than logic driven. They will ignore the scientific evidence of modern nuclear reactors being retardedly more safe than the previous generation, and continue to legislate in favor of their own poor living situations. HELL, all that nuclear waste we have sitting around? A LOT of it could be converted (or "bred") into fuel for the new generation of reactors, which gets rid of that "waste" that's just sitting around, being a hazard, and doing nothing useful.

It's so funny to me. SO many of the leftists refute scientific evidence of things *COUGH* VACCINES *COUGH*, for similar reasons that creationists refute scientific evidence, yet they hate each other....lol

*whiny snotty voice l*

But nuclear reactors are bad for the environment

- snip-