Can't think of any logical reason to go Nvidia now.

KarateHottie93

Just a heads up, GTA 5 uses almost 4GB of VRAM at max settings on 1440p. And GTA 5 isn't that much demanding at all...

aQKuH5t.png

Ok and do you know that the majority of people at 1440p with 970 is SLI config so that point is a nice try but not good enough.

Yeah but the thing is the 390 and 390x have twice the vram. That will be a night and day difference very soon. If Nvidia rebranded 970 and 980 with 6 gigs of vram than everything would even out and I'd see them as a viable option for me personally again.

Depends on the game unless you want more "futureproofness" for a higher cost with less FPS then a 390 is better. Majority of the benchmarks I see 970 still does good on many games. Now if you play on  5760x1080 GTA V of shadow of mordor with an HD texure pack then you'll hit past 3.5 but for the most part you'll be set.

Nvidia is still in the game, you just need to OC the cards. A 980 is a 390x price and I'm pretty sure a 390x can't get 1500mhz. r9 390 isn't even as good as a 970 unless if you play on 4K but I don't know why you'd do that.

And the max I think a furyX can do is 1350 on reference 980 ti are doing 1430mhz so nvidia is still king ass.

As of now a 390x is $500 and 390 is $400 

kind of a ripoff IMO unless your doing 4K 30fps

1st: Not a proportional MHZ--->Performance scaling

390X is 430$ 390 is 320$. 

Intel 4790 K - R9 295X2 - Gigabyte Z97-SLI - Corsair Vengeance Pro Black 1866 CAL9 - Corsair HX 1000 -Samsung 850 EVO SSD - Samsung HDD - H100I - Corsair C70 - G400 Logitech - Asus VS247H - WASD custom mechanical and QCKPAD! 

Staples of LTT: Getting an 4690 K will resurrect your lost family members, AMD = More heat thus AMD = Satan. 

Ok and do you know that the majority of people at 1440p with 970 is SLI config so that point is a nice try but not good enough.

What sentence are you trying to make? 

Intel 4790 K - R9 295X2 - Gigabyte Z97-SLI - Corsair Vengeance Pro Black 1866 CAL9 - Corsair HX 1000 -Samsung 850 EVO SSD - Samsung HDD - H100I - Corsair C70 - G400 Logitech - Asus VS247H - WASD custom mechanical and QCKPAD! 

Staples of LTT: Getting an 4690 K will resurrect your lost family members, AMD = More heat thus AMD = Satan. 

1st: Not a proportional MHZ--->Performance scaling

390X is 430$ 390 is 320$. 

I know 390 can't even keep up. Most optimized titles give a boost in FPS when OC.

So you're telling me there is more people with two 970s than with one. What exactly is your point?

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

So you're telling me there is more people with two 970s than with one. What exactly is your point?

Wut he is trying to say how many people buy a 970 for 1440p gaming not saying its bad at it though how many people do that?

I don't get the heated debate.

The 900 series is 9 months old now. AMD has just released, of course its going to win, and it should. I would say if anything it should be even further in front. As for the comments they are also cheaper... wait, Nvidia already know what is coming and will drop prices if it is warranted. Nvidia are not running razor thin profit margins, they can easily afford to do this.

Fury looks cool, the 390X while rebranded will be interesting but do not lose sight of the fact amd are "just" edging out tech that is 9 months old. Nvidia will hit back with Pascel. If you have to upgrade now it looks like AMD have the faster cards, if you are going to need to upgrade in another 9 months, guess what... Nvidia will have the best cards...  18 months away? well probably AMD again.

why do people get so worked up defending their brand when this happens almost every release. If you're always waiting for the next fastest thing you will never own anything in the tech world... Both AMD and Nvidia have great cards, I think that is fantastic, and while I currently own Nvidia I really hope AMD have a rock solid launch get tons of support and expand as a company.

The 900 series is 9 months old now. AMD has just released, of course its going to win and it should I would say if anything it should be even further in front. As for the comments they are also cheaper... wait, Nvidia already know what is coming and will drop prices if it is warranted. Nvidia are not running razor thin profit margins, they can easily afford to do this.

Fury looks cool, the 390X while rebranded will be interesting but do not lose sight of the fact amd are "just" edging out tech that is 9 months old. Nvidia will hit back with Pascel. If you have to upgrade now it looks like AMD have the faster cards, if you are going to need to upgrade in another 9 months guess what Nvidia will have the best cards, if you had to upgrade in the past 9 months Nvidia had the best cards...

why do people get so worked up defending their brand when this happens almost every releases. 

980TI like 2 weeks old. 

I know 390 can't even keep up. Most optimized titles give a boost in FPS when OC.

Higher res 390X beats it out at times. But you can use the OC arguement both ways

The 900 series is 9 months old now. AMD has just released, of course its going to win and it should I would say if anything it should be even further in front. As for the comments they are also cheaper... wait, Nvidia already know what is coming and will drop prices if it is warranted. Nvidia are not running razor thin profit margins, they can easily afford to do this.

Fury looks cool, the 390X while rebranded will be interesting but do not lose sight of the fact amd are "just" edging out tech that is 9 months old. Nvidia will hit back with Pascel. If you have to upgrade now it looks like AMD have the faster cards, if you are going to need to upgrade in another 9 months guess what Nvidia will have the best cards, if you had to upgrade in the past 9 months Nvidia had the best cards...

why do people get so worked up defending their brand when this happens almost every releases. 

Maybe nvidia is in AMD spot right now though AMD was still relevant when the 900 series launched AMD is probably going to win the lower end market though if the prices of the 300 series stay like that then AMD screwed up. In terms of fury its a battle fo the OCs so we don't know yet.

Higher res 390X beats it out at times. But you can use the OC arguement both ways

390x will win in terms of 4K and high res games but maybe 144hz 1440p thats where the 980 will be better so I guess it depends on your situation.

Depends on the game unless you want more "futureproofness" for a higher cost with less FPS then a 390 is better. Majority of the benchmarks I see 970 still does good on many games. Now if you play on  5760x1080 GTA V of shadow of mordor with an HD texure pack then you'll hit past 3.5 but for the most part you'll be set.

Yes but these days the "future" really isn't that far away. My 780 Ti is getting destroyed by my 290x in most new games when it used to edge it out.  Vram is a very big deal and double it for the future...while still trading blows today.

The 900 series is 9 months old now. AMD has just released, of course its going to win, and it should. I would say if anything it should be even further in front. As for the comments they are also cheaper... wait, Nvidia already know what is coming and will drop prices if it is warranted. Nvidia are not running razor thin profit margins, they can easily afford to do this.

Fury looks cool, the 390X while rebranded will be interesting but do not lose sight of the fact amd are "just" edging out tech that is 9 months old. Nvidia will hit back with Pascel. If you have to upgrade now it looks like AMD have the faster cards, if you are going to need to upgrade in another 9 months, guess what... Nvidia will have the best cards... if you had to upgrade in the past 9 months Nvidia had the best cards...

why do people get so worked up defending their brand when this happens almost every release. If you're always waiting for the next fastest thing you will never own anything in the tech world... Both AMD and Nvidia have great cards, I think that is fantastic, and while I currently own Nvidia I really hope AMD have a rock solid launch get tons of support and expand as a company.

To be fair the 390x is actually older tech than the 980.

Galax/Sapphire fanboy for life!

Hall Of Fame ♕ Owner's Club

Always supporting Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida!

Fury looks cool, the 390X while rebranded will be interesting but do not lose sight of the fact amd are "just" edging out tech that is 9 months old. Nvidia will hit back with Pascel. If you have to upgrade now it looks like AMD have the faster cards, if you are going to need to upgrade in another 9 months, guess what... Nvidia will have the best cards... if you had to upgrade in the past 9 months Nvidia had the best cards...

why do people get so worked up defending their brand when this happens almost every releases.If you always waiting for the next fastest thing you will never own anything in the tech world...

Isn't that what always happens every time AMD vs Nvidia comes up? And it is happening again...

Rome.jpg

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

Yes but these days the "future" really isn't that far away. My 780 Ti is getting destroyed by my 290x in most new games when it used to edge it out.  Vram is a very big deal and double it for the future...while still trading blows today.

390 and 390x pricing is just weird 390x is a 980 4K killer. Yet the 390 is like $70 more and doesn't have as much performance what kind if choice was that?

Isn't that what always happens every time AMD vs Nvidia comes up? And it is happening again...

Rome.jpg

At least AMD fanboys can admit when they lose though...not the same for Nvidia fanboys. Gsync is gonna save the day...gsync is more important to humans than water.

I'm starting to act like a fanboy myself actually.

You know why us PC player arguing against each other after all where all better than the consoles.

Lol I own both consoles...but I paralyzed an arm and shooters with a controller are way easier than with my Naga...my Naga did make me arena master on WoW with multiple toons though so fuck consoles!

Everyone is biased towards either AMD and Nvidia. No exception.

At least AMD fanboys can admit when they lose though...not the same for Nvidia fanboys. Gsync is gonna save the day...gsync is more important to humans than water.

lol... I think people just look for information fitting to thier opinion, even taking it out of context in a attempt to "win"... not talking about people on this forum per se.

An example is how people are proclaiming the 980 TI dead, yet every single benchmark I have seen as "proof" is a Fury MSI 8GB vs a reference Nvidia card. I think once the dust settings and benchmarks come out and everyone has a real picture of things, prices will be according adjusted and in 9 months or so when Pascal releases we can go through this again : ).

In the end who wins? The consumer, AMD user or Nvidia user. A dorky response but competition is excellent for the consumer.

If they fix the pricing for the 390x which they said they should cost the same AMD pretty much won we have to wait and see for the furyx though. As AMD doesn't seem to have anything for the 970 to go against.

If they fix the pricing for the 390x which they said they should cost the same AMD pretty much won we have to wait and see for the furyx though. As AMD doesn't seem to have anything for the 970 to go against.

Lol I'm beating a dead horse...it's obvious I love vram way more than most people as I'm a long term buyer. If Nvidia would just do their own rebrand and give my 970 5.5 gigs marketed as 6 and the 980 6 gigs, everyone would win :)

Just sold my 980, before that I had XFire 280s

I just want the best damn video card that is quiet... Looking like that may be the 980ti Strix. But I'd like to see what AMD does with their strix line as well as what the sound is like on the Fury cards, I tend to stay away from as much water cooling as possible (exception being my CPU cooler that has a quiet mode) because they tend to be a bit louder.

You and @XxDeadpool67xX are both fanboying, there are benefits to either card.

I think what OP wants to know is why people are going over to AMD so that he/she can know if that is the right choice for him/her.

Lol I'm beating a dead horse...it's obvious I love vram way more than most people as I'm a long term buyer. If Nvidia would just do their own rebrand and give my 970 5.5 gigs marketed as 6 and the 980 6 gigs, everyone would win :)

Well no one can predict the future and know how much vRAM is going to be used though if you want to be a 100% sure and not have to worry about vRAM than that is the card for you. 980 is kinda of high risk 4gb of vRAM high reward. Then again the furyX has 4gb of vRAm ...

Well no one can predict the future and know how much vRAM is going to be used though if you want to be a 100% sure and not have to worry about vRAM than that is the card for you. 980 is kinda of high risk 4gb of vRAM high reward. Then again the furyX has 4gb of vRAm ...

Ain't Vram mate. Honestly owning a 980 feels like trash right now.