What is Architecture and what does it affect?

Random32

My friend and I are in a heated argument over architecture and what it brings to the table. I'm saying that architecture affects performance and is the basis of almost all things yielded from a CPU/GPU because it's what allows the part to use its resources efficiently/inefficiently, and such. He's saying that architecture has nothing to do with performance and only affect power draw and heat output. According to my friend, having a Haswell CPU and a Piledriver CPU with the same everything (cache, speed, power, cooling) would yield the same performance in games, and the only difference would be that one would give more heat than the other.

No matter what I say, he will not admit that architecture is more than just power draw and heat output.

Any input?

CPU: i7 2600k @4.2GHz GPU: GTX 660 Power Supply: EVGA SupernovaNEX 750W 80+ Bronze RAM: 32GB G. Skill Ripjaws X

He is wrong lol

Pentium 1 @ 2GHz = i7-4790k @ 2GHz

CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.3 GHz       GPU: MSI GTX 980                      Cooling: be quiet! Pure Rock                     OS: Windows 7            Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z

Motherboard: AsRock Z97 PRO4   PSU: Corsair 600W CX600M       Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate   SSD: Intel 120GB 520   Headset: HyperX Cloud II

RAM: 12GB Crucial Ballistix            Case: Corsair 750D                       Mouse: Logitech G502                         HDD: Seagate 1TB        Speakers: Audioengine A5+

I don't know the technical details of it, but I'm 99.9999999% positive that architecture affects the CPU's performance. Turbo Boost and Hyperthreading all are based on the CPU's architecture and power consumption and heat output are affected by the architecture.

Tell him that the 290x has 5.6 TFLOPs compute performance (SP), yet somehow gets beaten 24/7 by the 980 and trades blows with the 970 (4.6 and 3.5 TFLOPs respectively).

There is your definitive proof of the badness of architecture. 

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Your friend is stupid

o damn

CPU: i7 2600k @4.2GHz GPU: GTX 660 Power Supply: EVGA SupernovaNEX 750W 80+ Bronze RAM: 32GB G. Skill Ripjaws X

Tell him that the 290x has 5.6 TFLOPs compute performance (SP), yet somehow gets beaten 24/7 by the 980 and trades blows with the 970 (4.6 and 3.5 TFLOPs respectively)

If only a maxwell chip could use the resources that a 290X gives to its welding iron of a chip...

The word Architecture defines itself....

It is basically the design and organization of the logic circuits so it does affect performance hell a lot.

This is a signature.

He's dead wrong. Show him this thread.

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

He's dead wrong. Show him this thread.

I told him to make it and to prove me wrong and he kept saying things like he's busy or he's in the car or he's in the bathroom lol

I told him to make it and to prove me wrong and he kept saying things like he's busy or he's in the car or he's in the bathroom lol

Ask him then why CPU die shots are different :P (pls get some cringe worthy answers)

This is a signature.

So when you can prove him wrong, he will rather dodge it and have his own truth. Not much you can do sadly. It will bite him sooner or later. :D

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

My friend and I are in a heated argument over architecture and what it brings to the table. I'm saying that architecture affects performance and is the basis of almost all things yielded from a CPU/GPU because it's what allows the part to use its resources efficiently/inefficiently, and such. He's saying that architecture has nothing to do with performance and only affect power draw and heat output. According to my friend, having a Haswell CPU and a Piledriver CPU with the same everything (cache, speed, power, cooling) would yield the same performance in games, and the only difference would be that one would give more heat than the other.

No matter what I say, he will not admit that architecture is more than just power draw and heat output.

Any input?

ROFLMAO (at your friend)

(Sorry but his ignorance has reached a 'level of epic proportion')  :rolleyes: 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

You are right

My Rig:  CPU: Core i7 4790K @4.8ghz  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  Ram: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz (Red)  Cooling: Corsair H105, 2x Corsair SP120 High Preformance Editions, Corsair AF 140 Quiet Edition  PSU: Corsair RM 850  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Blue 1TB  Case Corsair 760t (Black)  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma  Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma  Headset: ATH-M50X Mic: Blue Yeti Blackout

Dear dummy. Please go educate yourself. Love Ramamataz.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Architecture is the reason why AMD CPUs with a butt-ton of cores don't perform as well as Intel chips with a butt-ton of cores (i.e. why this is cheaper than this)

Pro Tip: don't use flash when taking pictures of your build; use a longer exposure instead. Prop up your camera with something (preferably a tripod) if necessary.

if you use retarded/autistic/etc to mean stupid please gtfo

If only a maxwell chip could use the resources that a 290X gives to its welding iron of a chip...

but that's the thing! you can't give the maxwell chip the resources of a 290x because of the difference in architectures ! ;)

Against All Odds pc build

AMD Athlon II x4 750k///MSI A55m E33///Kingston hyper x blue 8gb (2x4)///corsair cx430///EVGA GTX 750 SC///Rosewill FBM 01///Samsung EVO 850 120gb///Windows 8.1///Corsair Raptor k40

Ask him then why CPU die shots are different :P (pls get some cringe worthy answers)

So when you can prove him wrong, he will rather dodge it and have his own truth. Not much you can do sadly. It will bite him sooner or later. :D

ePRSGEq.jpg

yM9d9Ja.jpg

Ask him then why CPU die shots are different :P (pls get some cringe worthy answers)

gnXJjk6.png
Lol that direct burnt butthurt way to get out of the conversation

This is a signature.

Ask him where the differences of performance come from within various architectures, even at the same clock speeds with the same number of cores.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Architecture defines what a cycle is, and how much computation is done during each cycle. So... yeah, it is kind of important for determining performance. There's a reason a 3.4GHz 6MB L3 quad-core like the i5-3570K beats the crap out of a 3.4GHz 6MB L3 quad-core like the Phenom II X4 965.

I can run a direct test for you if you'd like. I have an i5-2500K (3.3GHz Quad-Core, 6MB L3 cache) and a Phenom II X4 965, they're basically the same specs on a spec sheet, I can set them to the same frequency and run any test you'd like :)

Also, there is no fundamental difference between a CPU and a GPU, there's nothing at a basic level that applies to CPU architecture which doesn't apply to GPU architecture. Even that distinction is misleading, since they are both the same thing. You COULD do graphics processing on a CPU, there's no reason you couldn't. It'd just be unbearably slow. The only difference is the type of calculation the architecture is optimized for.

Direct quote from the Nvidia blog talking about Maxwell.  He thinks there is some difference between the actual cores and the gates used to regulate workloads and such.  But each core design requires overhauls of that system, since changing things in the core must be changed in the overall chip.

"The new SMM, shown in Figure 1, includes all of the architectural benefits of its first-generation Maxwell predecessor, including improvements to control logic partitioning, workload balancing, clock-gating granularity, instruction scheduling, number of instructions issued per clock cycle, and more."

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh