Just joined SC last night.

SansVarnic

I just joined up last night and wanted to know if there is anything I need to know off hand that would be useful on this current version? I got the Aurora-LN package. I plan on starting to play tonight so I guess I am going to have to learn all the controls which looks to be quite a bit.

I may get myself a flight stick as well, I used to have a Microsoft Sidewinder force feedback and it was pretty good way back when I played X-Wing and Tie Fighter but I got rid of it when it got to be old and will be looking for something new. 

I'll play around for a bit before deciding on joining a community though. I usually play games solo first anyhow, haven't been big on being part of guilds in other games but here it looks as if I might eventually.

Thanks.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

To start off, if you are going to get really into this game you will NEED a stick, I would even recommend a HOTAS system. Also you will need an Arena Commander pass with the pack you bought to be able to play other than looking at your ships... https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Module-Passes/Arena-Commander$5 USD.

Good luck :)

To start off, if you are going to get really into this game you will NEED a stick, I would even recommend a HOTAS system. Also you will need an Arena Commander pass with the pack you bought to be able to play other than looking at your ships... https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Module-Passes/Arena-Commander$5 USD.

well this is really more of a point of preference but okay lol

I just joined up last night and wanted to know if there is anything I need to know off hand that would be useful on this current version? I got the Aurora-LN package. I plan on starting to play tonight so I guess I am going to have to learn all the controls which looks to be quite a bit.

I may get myself a flight stick as well, I used to have a Microsoft Sidewinder force feedback and it was pretty good way back when I played X-Wing and Tie Fighter but I got rid of it when it got to be old and will be looking for something new. 

I'll play around for a bit before deciding on joining a community though. I usually play games solo first anyhow, haven't been big on being part of guilds in other games but here it looks as if I might eventually.

Thanks.

In the current version of AC some missiles are impossible to use countermeasures against (as there are none), so dont be disheartened if you die to them because we're all dying to them.

Try not to use CS missiles for the sake of everyone else, although i believe that the LN by default comes with Dominators so you're good on that part.  

See you in the Verse'! :D  

Well, first and foremost: welcome to the 'Verse :D

Second, please remember that this is an unfinished game. Expect things to bug/glitch/go wrong. I am not aware of any major gamebreaking bugs at the moment, but there are some problems with missiles, as mentioned above.

Other than that, have fun with the game and how everything works. :)

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

Ok, um I cannot take off in arena commander. I feel stupid. It says I need to push button 3 on my mouse, did that, and nothing happens. This game doesn't recognize my this button on my mouse.

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I'm sorry but I have to seriously counter this argument. You do not need a stick in any way shape or form. You can manage whatever control scheme that works best towards your play style or preference.

The first point is that there is even a guy that uses a blasted racing wheel and pedals with a m50 and does quite well. There is also a decent amount of people using k/m at any point of time, and a moderate few with a controller. Personally I use a stick for decoupled strafe (left hand) with a mouse on my right for aiming.

Second point is that not every person that plays does so only for the arena commander portion of the game. There is a ridiculous number of people waiting to be space truckers, miners and the select few that are waiting just for Star Marine. So do not feel that you are required to buy any peripheral.

Still new, but learning

i7 4790K / GTX 970 G1 Gaming / Maximus VII Hero / Swiftech H240x / Corsair Vengeance Pro 16gb, 1600mhz, cl9 / 850 evo 250GB /

WD Blue 1TB / HX850 / Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Hop from asteriod to asteroid in that ship, be wary of open spaces, get ready to upgrade shield and weapons.

Kills are going to be hard but each one feels like an achievement in that ship

In the current version of AC some missiles are impossible to use countermeasures against (as there are none), so dont be disheartened if you die to them because we're all dying to them.

Try not to use CS missiles for the sake of everyone else, although i believe that the LN by default comes with Dominators so you're good on that part.

See you in the Verse'! :D

Asteroids are your friends, CS missiles are slow so you can use them as the missiles will usually fly into them.

As for not using CS missiles I'd say the opposite but only if you have one locked on you, why? Because everyone else and the game is current working on a cold war and mutual assured destruction ideology ATM

Also: https://linustechtips.com/main/index.php?/topic/284524-Star-Citizen-UOLTT-Official-Battle-EXtravaganza!

The arena commander came with the pack I bought.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Well, first and foremost: welcome to the 'Verse :D

Second, please remember that this is an unfinished game. Expect things to bug/glitch/go wrong. I am not aware of any major gamebreaking bugs at the moment, but there are some problems with missiles, as mentioned above.

Other than that, have fun with the game and how everything works. :)

Thanks,

Question is there a mouse you would recommend? I cannot take off  in the first arena commander lesson. I says to press mouse button three i do this and nothing happens. I tried 2 different mice with a wheel button.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Hop from asteriod to asteroid in that ship, be wary of open spaces, get ready to upgrade shield and weapons.

Kills are going to be hard but each one feels like an achievement in that ship

Asteroids are your friends, CS missiles are slow so you can use them as the missiles will usually fly into them.

As for not using CS missiles I'd say the opposite but only if you have one locked on you, why? Because everyone else and the game is current working on a cold war and mutual assured destruction ideology ATM

Also: https://linustechtips.com/main/index.php?/topic/284524-Star-Citizen-UOLTT-Official-Battle-EXtravaganza!

How long does it take to earn more to upgrade or buy new ships? I want to get a fleet of various ships eventually but I do want to get at least a capital size ship. I have not decided which direction I want to go yet in the game, military, explore, hull or maybe do 2 -3 things at the same time if its possible.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

How long does it take to earn more to upgrade or buy new ships? I want to get a fleet of various ships eventually but I do want to get at least a capital size ship. I have not decided which direction I want to go yet in the game, military, explore, hull or maybe do 2 -3 things at the same time if its possible.

To upgrade in arena commander, a couple of hours. In the released game, I'd say about a week?

As of right now you earn REC points when you play online in Arena Commander, depending on how well you do in these matches (FFA, Squadron Battle, or Co-OP vanduul swarm) determines how many points you will get, on average though expect around 500-700 points per game. These points can be spent to rent out equipment to use on your ships (or even other ships entirely), many weapons cost  between 500-1000 REC, and ships 5000+, and you rent them out for a week at a time. 

This is regarding Arena Commander currently however...

In the full game we have no idea how long it will take to upgrade or even buy a new ship, some people have said "20 hours for a Constellation" but nobody knows for sure. Obviously it wont be outrageously hard, but it will be difficult to some extent as we would not want everyone and their mother flying their Idris around a day after they bought the game. The reason nobody knows for sure is because even CIG doesnt know for sure themselves, right now they are focused with Squadron42 and FPS release, much less PU and the full game. We will know in time so dont fret, we just have to wait a bit longer :)    Hope this helped a bit :) 

Also, if your plan is to get a Capital Sized ship, remember that it will require a substantial crew to work it to its fullest potential. Best option is to work here with UOLTT and join forces in order to have the best possible experience in operating your Cap ship. 

Thanks,

Question is there a mouse you would recommend? I cannot take off  in the first arena commander lesson. I says to press mouse button three i do this and nothing happens. I tried 2 different mice with a wheel button.

If your mice have software with them check to see if the middle mouse button has an option to be set to "generic" some times they have "auto-scroll" or something similar which derps games out due to it being a non-standard implementation other wise you could try rebinding the command to whatever your middle mouse click responds with, failing that you could just bind the command to any other key. Middle mouse button is a generic command so if your mouse follows standards it shouldn't have a problem.

I'm sorry but I have to seriously counter this argument. You do not need a stick in any way shape or form. You can manage whatever control scheme that works best towards your play style or preference.

The first point is that there is even a guy that uses a blasted racing wheel and pedals with a m50 and does quite well. There is also a decent amount of people using k/m at any point of time, and a moderate few with a controller. Personally I use a stick for decoupled strafe (left hand) with a mouse on my right for aiming.

Second point is that not every person that plays does so only for the arena commander portion of the game. There is a ridiculous number of people waiting to be space truckers, miners and the select few that are waiting just for Star Marine. So do not feel that you are required to buy any peripheral.

How exactly are you playing with left hand stick and right hand mouse? Are keys rebindable yet? How do you manage speed? Just curious how you managed to set everything up considering the vast amount of bindings there are.

If your mice have software with them check to see if the middle mouse button has an option to be set to "generic" some times they have "auto-scroll" or something similar which derps games out due to it being a non-standard implementation other wise you could try rebinding the command to whatever your middle mouse click responds with, failing that you could just bind the command to any other key. Middle mouse button is a generic command so if your mouse follows standards it shouldn't have a problem.

Thank you for the info. I had not considered the software being the interference, I use a MS bluetooth mouse.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

How exactly are you playing with left hand stick and right hand mouse? Are keys rebindable yet? How do you manage speed? Just curious how you managed to set everything up considering the vast amount of bindings there are.

That's how I play too, just plug a stick and mouse in and they will both be recognised. Keys etc. are rebindable I pretty much blank my stick and rebind it as I see fit. For speed I have a little paddle on my stick, it does mean you have to let go of something to change it but its usually not an issue (it will be even less of an issue when I get round to building my custom stick ;)), I usually run full throttle with g-safe and com-stab on using boost to manage my actual speed, it works really well once you get the hang of it, you find you can vary your speed without the need to touch your throttle.

The main thing is to hit right shift (default) at the start of a round to unlink your crosshair that way you have full aiming motion with your mouse without it turning your ship.

Thank you for the info. I had not considered the software being the interference, I use a MS bluetooth mouse.

If you don't have button settings in the software (and/or cant rebind your middle mouse click in the game) you can always try using the mouse without the software (its often not required) if it then registers as a Bluetooth HID device it should just send all the standard button identifiers.

<snip>

Thanks, I will keep this in mind. Good info.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

LOL my first battle royal I lasted only 3sec. lol....... :lol:

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

LOL my first battle royal I lasted only 3sec. lol....... :lol:

You joined right at the end? Lol yeah that happens :)

You joined right at the end? Lol yeah that happens :)

Ya I joined and then I died at about 3sec  ant then 10 sec after the battle ended, I got 0 points 0 kills 1 death. LOL

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Ya I joined and then I died at about 3sec  ant then 10 sec after the battle ended, I got 0 points 0 kills 1 death. LOL

Looks good on the Leaderboards ;)

Sometimes that will happen, but what I can't remember is what happens after a match. Are all players returned to the lobby (for a quick rematch), or are you kicked back to the hangar?

Looks good on the Leaderboards ;)

Sometimes that will happen, but what I can't remember is what happens after a match. Are all players returned to the lobby (for a quick rematch), or are you kicked back to the hangar?

I was kicked back to lobby to sign up for another match if I do chose to.

I will admit I am so freaking out matched..... My Aurora MR doesn't do to well so I run and hide and take potshots when I can. Once they find me I'm dead pretty quick.

Playing kb and mouse at the moment.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Quite simple actually. Actually made a post about it prior. It may be outdated compared to my current setup, but the same points and overall bindings are the same.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/308993-dual-joystick/

Decoupled mode uses no throttle and strafes act entirely as the thrust. The main difference is that because of this, the craft does not auto correct inertia for you and you have to use spacebreak and boost interchangeably (or together for quick breaks). Using a thrustmaster T.16000M, I have a slider for throttle on the stick which I normally keep to max and have the top and bottom hats as double press for max and min throttle. Main buttons on stick itself has spacebreak on button one, boost as trigger, button 2 countermeasure, left and right hat keys as roll (since I use mouse), top hat key for cycle counter measure, bottom hat key as cycle targets. 4th button is toggle decoupled mode.

I can use buttons on the base, but is not required for actual flight. I also keep my keyboard in the center in case I need it, or switching between flight and other parts of the game. The stick then gives me 6 degrees of movement due to the three axis I can bind. Twist (z-axis) for up and down, and the other strafes are as you would think. This also gives me very good fine tuning in maneuverability and touch and go motions.

Just a pity that I am not as good at the shooting department even with the mouse. I think I just don't have as much working knowledge/experience with the weapons out there, as I don't know jack about weapon fall off or effective range. That and with how the game's damage system is, I get one shot often enough (1.5 second deaths from spawning) even in a superhornet; but heck, they are working on it still, after-all.

Still new, but learning

i7 4790K / GTX 970 G1 Gaming / Maximus VII Hero / Swiftech H240x / Corsair Vengeance Pro 16gb, 1600mhz, cl9 / 850 evo 250GB /

WD Blue 1TB / HX850 / Phanteks Enthoo Pro

I think this game needs an auto aim function/mod/purchase/upgrade.... whatever, one would think that with the technology level this game immerses you in they would have developed such a thing. It does not have to be a perfect system of course but even in today's technology we have systems like for instance the USArmy's auto aim used in Abram Tanks. . . . .

I know I suck flying as it is but at least ill be able to hit 50% with some like this versus the .0005% I'm getting now. :D

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER