Japanese carrier warns customers about Snapdragon 810’s overheating issues

Aniallation

Source: http://www.androidauthority.com/snapdragon-810-japanese-carrier-615732/

Honestly, yes it's just a precautionary warning, but you don't see these precautionary warnings being put up for other devices that don't have the 810 -.-

Just when you thought that the Snapdragon 810 drama was over, however, Japanese carrier NTT DoCoMo has decided to push the issue with a new warning poster. The poster was discovered at a NTT DoCoMo shop in Japan and warns about potential overheating issues for three Snapdragon 810-touting devices: the Sony Xperia Z4, the Sharp Aquos Zeta, and the Fujitsu Arrows NX.

warning-810-840x588.jpg

The poster advises customers to do the following to prevent overheating and prolong the phone’s life:
  • Periodically shut down the phone.
  • Keep the phone off completely while charging.
  • Regularly back up data on the phone.
  • Reduce reliance on the phone by using a tablet or a PC when possible.

Not exactly a major vote of confidence in the Snapdragon 810 chipset. Honestly, NTT DoCoMo’s warning isn’t proof of overheating, but more likely proof of how a bad reputation is hard to shake. Whether the Snapdragon 810 is as bad as some have claimed doesn’t even matter anymore, the damage is done. Thankfully the Snapdragon 808 doesn’t seem to have the same negative heat-related reports, and here’s to hoping Qualcomm’s next generation of chips don’t run into the same issues (perceived or real).

"Rawr XD"

The 810 "overheating" is a lot like the 290x "overheating" it seems.

People are overreacting.

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

People are overreacting.

My 290 is running so hot it currently is at 59 degrees with the stock cooler. People just overreacted because by default the card stays at 20% fan speed until the card gets to like 90 degrees and then starts to increase fans speed accordingly. Using MSI afterburner to overwrite the stock fan behavior proves that there was nothing wrong with the card.  

The pattern of going up to 90 degrees before increasing fan speed just looked bad on benchamrks

People are overreacting.

I'm not following mobile cpu news, but isn't the 810 thermal throttling where the 290x isn't?

I'm not following mobile cpu news, but isn't the 810 thermal throttling where the 290x isn't?

You got that totally backwards.

The 810 doesn't throttle at all, but the reference 290x did.

When the 810 was first given to reviewers, it was on prerelease software with very aggressive throttling (very aggressive to the fan curve issues on reference 290x). It's a warmer chip for sure, but it's not an issue with throttling.

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Everything ive seen is that it will throttle in benchmarks, but that normal use it never has that much of a problem. But it will get a little bit toasty if youre going to be gaming for long periods of time.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

Does it really overheat that bad? 

Because most phones overheat as it is. 

My iPhone 6 is almost unhold-able when you try to play MKX on it, or any other intensive game. And my past iPhones and iPod Touches have been the same. 

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's 

When the 810 was first given to reviewers, it was on prerelease software with very aggressive throttling (very aggressive to the fan curve issues on reference 290x). It's a warmer chip for sure, but it's not an issue with throttling.

Dude give me some sorcues I need to shove this down someone face.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Umm, this... so they are wrong?

In short, chips throttle, but the 810 throttles more than most, and it's severe enough that the 810 is actually slower than the 801 or 805 in some CPU-bound tasks over the long haul. The Exynos 7 Octa, which has similar specs on paper, is much better in practice.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Umm, this... so they are wrong?

I'm not saying they're wrong, i'm saying their "realistic usage scenario" isn't what we're talking about.

Pocketnow talked about how throttling in just browsing the web was an issue, when in reality it no longer is. I'm saying it's a warm chip, but that the implications are being blown out of proportion

I'm not saying they're wrong, i'm saying their "realistic usage scenario" isn't what we're talking about.

Pocketnow talked about how throttling in just browsing the web was an issue, when in reality it no longer is. I'm saying it's a warm chip, but that the implications are being blown out of proportion

Well tbh when I use my G2 (Snap 800), especially in this heat when it's 30+ C, with a case for it, it warms up like hell. Browsing, multitasking and music at the same time. You know some app to check how it's running, if it's throttling and stuff? For science.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Well tbh when I use my G2 (Snap 800), especially in this heat when it's 30+ C, with a case for it, it warms up like hell. Browsing, multitasking and music at the same time. You know some app to check how it's running, if it's throttling and stuff? For science.

Not sure. But i know my phone get's ultra hot too sometimes.

Not sure how hot, but at least the pixels don't start turning off lol

Not sure. But i know my phone get's ultra hot too sometimes.

Not sure how hot, but at least the pixels don't start turning off lol

So do mine, depends on the phone. Never had my S3 heat up past the point where it was uncomfortable. However today I had a 1 hour Skype call on my iPhone 4S left on a speaker dock, and when I went to pick it up holy balls was it hot to the touch

"Rawr XD"

remember guys the Japanese are much more into mobile gaming so this makes sense for there general use scenarios.

Does it really overheat that bad? 

Because most phones overheat as it is. 

My iPhone 6 is almost unhold-able when you try to play MKX on it, or any other intensive game. And my past iPhones and iPod Touches have been the same. 

My one m9 gets slightly hot after playing a game or two, but not anything terrible. I actually had a One M9 that heated up like hell, but that one had a screen problem so i exchanged it for a new one, which runs a lot cooler... weird.

Overall, it's not that bad, even my friend's one m8 gets slightly warm, the m9 only gets a few degrees warmer than the m8.

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

Not a big deal at all for a mobile device imo...

Most people only keep them for two years, and put a case on it that shields their hands from the heat. (Holds more heat to the phone, but from what I've read the chips don't hit like 100C or something ridiculous)

The heat isn't unbearable either. It's hot, but could be worse.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

My one m9 gets slightly hot after playing a game or two, but not anything terrible. I actually had a One M9 that heated up like hell, but that one had a screen problem so i exchanged it for a new one, which runs a lot cooler... weird.

Probably shipped with the new "fixed" kernel

"Rawr XD"

Probably shipped with the new "fixed" kernel

Oh i thought that was coming later for the US....

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

• Reduce reliance on the phone by using a tablet or a PC when possible.

Yop, it's simple. Avoid overheating by not using the device...

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5-4690K | Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 | RAM: Kingston Savage 4x4GB | GPU: Asus Strix GTX970 | PSU: Seasonic M12II-620 Evo | Storage: MX100 128GB + WD Blue 1TB | Cooling: CM Hyper 212 evo | Case: NZXT H440