Plenty of space. Observable universe!

LegendKillerRG

How did people explore/observe 91 billion light years across the observable universe and what's the percentage of observable universe to the total? Few years ago I read that people only observed 4% of the universe but not sure about now. What I don't get is what's the inverse is expanding on...

The universe is still expending because technically the "Big Bang" hasn't finished yet. Think about this, when a big explosion goes off, you will see a shock wave going in all directions, the shock wave starts out small and keeps getting bigger in all direction, as the explosion expend it leaves a universe behind. 

One day we're going to be in darkness apart from our own local cluster, also because of the speed everything is expanding and also space time being factored in the galaxies will be effectively exceeding the speed of light in relation to us, the light from those galaxies moving away from us will never be able to reach us.

Also another little thing, (I hope I get this right) you can go faster by approaching the speed of light than actually achieving the speed of light, scientist have discovered that when you approach light speed, distances shrink so you can get there faster by achieving a slower speed :P, God I love science :)

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

i like her accent  :wub:

its kinda mind blowing that we dont even know how much of the universe we discovered but yet the part we discovered is still pretty damn a lot

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

How did people explore/observe 91 billion light years across the observable universe and what's the percentage of observable universe to the total? Few years ago I read that people only observed 4% of the universe but not sure about now. What I don't get is what's the inverse is expanding on...

the observable universe is nowhere near that big (its about 28 billion light years diameter). There is no way of knowing the observable universe to unobservable universe. could be 0% or 100%

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/user/DeepSkyVideos

Start watching, they are all from the university of Nottingham, very well respected in there respective fields. 

And for those who love to have their heads done over with quantum theory:

https://www.youtube.com/user/sixtysymbols

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

They're sharing a drink they call loneliness, but it's better than drinkin' alone...

BitFenix Prodigy Black / Intel Core i7 3770K / Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI mITX / ASUS GeForce GTX 660Ti DCUII 2GB / Corsair Vengance LP 8GB (2x4096MB) CL9 1600Mhz / Corsair SF600 - 600W  / Corsair H70 Push Pull

One day we're going to be in darkness apart from our own local cluster, also because of the speed everything is expanding and also space time being factored in the galaxies will be effectively exceeding the speed of light in relation to us, the light from those galaxies moving away from us will never be able to reach us.

Also another little thing, (I hope I get this right) you can go faster by approaching the speed of light than actually achieving the speed of light, scientist have discovered that when you approach light speed, distances shrink so you can get there faster by achieving a slower speed :P, God I love science :)

mind = blown

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

YAY MinutePhysics!

CPU - FX 8320 @ 4.8 GHz

| MoBo - Sabertooth 990FX | GPU - XFX Radeon HD 7870 GHz Ed. @ 1.075 GHz | CPU Cooler - H100 | RAM - 16 GB Dual Channel Vengeance @ 1600 MHz (didn't care to push these...) | OS - Windows 8 Pro | Storage - OCZ Vertex 3 (120 GB Boot), Samsung 830 Pro 64 GB, WD Black 1 TB, some random 320 GB from a laptop | PSU - CM Silent Hybrid Pro 850W (MDPC Sleeving) | Case - 800D | Monitors - ASUS V238H/ X Star DP2710LED | Mouse - M90 Keyboard - CM Quickfire Rapid w/ custom key caps

"When life gives you lemons, Don't make lemonade, make life take the lemons back!" - Cave Johnson, CEO

:unsure: I may understand relativity wrong then... From my understanding, as stuff approaches the speed of mass-less particles, the stuffs approaching said speeds shrink relative to their surroundings in order to allow the mass-less particles to remain traveling at the speed of mass-less particles from all frames of reference. They still cover less distance than mass-less particles in the same time frame because their speed relative to the observer is still less than that of mass-less particles. In order for stuffs with mass to go at that speed through space, they would need infinite energy and take up 0 space. However, covering more distance in less time is possible with warp drives. That requires negative energy though, and I'm not convinced NASA has solved the engineering problems regarding how to create negative energy without drowning it out with positive energy. Time will tell.  B)

CPU - FX 8320 @ 4.8 GHz

| MoBo - Sabertooth 990FX | GPU - XFX Radeon HD 7870 GHz Ed. @ 1.075 GHz | CPU Cooler - H100 | RAM - 16 GB Dual Channel Vengeance @ 1600 MHz (didn't care to push these...) | OS - Windows 8 Pro | Storage - OCZ Vertex 3 (120 GB Boot), Samsung 830 Pro 64 GB, WD Black 1 TB, some random 320 GB from a laptop | PSU - CM Silent Hybrid Pro 850W (MDPC Sleeving) | Case - 800D | Monitors - ASUS V238H/ X Star DP2710LED | Mouse - M90 Keyboard - CM Quickfire Rapid w/ custom key caps

"When life gives you lemons, Don't make lemonade, make life take the lemons back!" - Cave Johnson, CEO

:unsure: I may understand relativity wrong then... From my understanding, as stuff approaches the speed of mass-less particles, the stuffs approaching said speeds shrink relative to their surroundings in order to allow the mass-less particles to remain traveling at the speed of mass-less particles from all frames of reference. They still cover less distance than mass-less particles in the same time frame because their speed relative to the observer is still less than that of mass-less particles. In order for stuffs with mass to go at that speed through space, they would need infinite energy and take up 0 space. However, covering more distance in less time is possible with warp drives. That requires negative energy though, and I'm not convinced NASA has solved the engineering problems regarding how to create negative energy without drowning it out with positive energy. Time will tell.  B)

enjoy :)

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

MY BRAIN HURTS!!!!!!!!

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

mind = blown

Yea it did mine trying to write it lol

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

To be honest I'm not 100% sure, it f**ks with me trying to understand it lol

MY BRAIN HURTS!!!!!!!!

lulz. I actually broke the arm on my chair watching that, will upload a pic as proof soon. (although as linus said, is a pic really proof anymore?)

IMAG0773[1]

Uploaded!

Holy shit. Why have I never actually watched Monty Python before this? At least I didn't discover them in the middle of a college semester.

CPU - FX 8320 @ 4.8 GHz

Ah yes. SixtySymbols. Love them. Also love all of Brady Haring's (I hope I got that right) other channels. And Big Think, MinutePhysics, all of Veritasium and Vsauce, etc. Youtube is my teacher. Gonna share them with my Grandpa since he got a nexus 7 and internet recently. He loves this stuff too. 88 and still learning. Anyways, the Lorenz contraction only strengthens my point, but perhaps I need to be more clear. There is no possible way, according to our current understanding of the universe, that anything can travel through space at a higher speed than that of mass-less particles. (I've adopted this term for light speed ever since MinutePhysics mentioned it. More precise.) We can arrive at a destination quicker than expected due to the Lorenz contraction, but we cannot outrun light. We can, however, theoretically cause space to move through us, effectively being able to achieve warp speeds (hence the name). And a bit off topic, we need a Science thread. Fairly tech related, since science gives birth to technology.

CPU - FX 8320 @ 4.8 GHz

Ah yes. SixtySymbols. Love them. Also love all of Brady Haring's (I hope I got that right) other channels. And Big Think, MinutePhysics, all of Veritasium and Vsauce, etc. Youtube is my teacher. Gonna share them with my Grandpa since he got a nexus 7 and internet recently. He loves this stuff too. 88 and still learning. Anyways, the Lorenz contraction only strengthens my point, but perhaps I need to be more clear. There is no possible way, according to our current understanding of the universe, that anything can travel through space at a higher speed than that of mass-less particles. (I've adopted this term for light speed ever since MinutePhysics mentioned it. More precise.) We can arrive at a destination quicker than expected due to the Lorenz contraction, but we cannot outrun light. We can, however, theoretically cause space to move through us, effectively being able to achieve warp speeds (hence the name). And a bit off topic, we need a Science thread. Fairly tech related, since science gives birth to technology.

Yes we need a science thread, a place were we can talk about this stuff, Although with the complexity of some of it I can see a few discussions getting lively. 

Not only do we contract to a finite size as we approach the speed of light (I'll keep calling it that so others know basically what I mean) time also slows, this is how relativity explains that two observers will see one physical event occur differently. 

lulz. I actually broke the arm on my chair watching that, will upload a pic as proof soon. (although as linus said, is a pic really proof anymore?)

Uploaded!

Sorry abut your chair :) was it because of the video was funny and you were laughing or did it just break?

Hail Sithis!

Uploaded!

That's absolute gold right there,  MOnty PpYthOn for the WIN!!!

That's absolute gold right there,  MOnty PpYthOn for the WIN!!!

Love me some python, i actually find ways to sneak videos and clips into topics all of the time. There's a clip for everything :)

Hail Sithis!

Love me some python, i actually find ways to sneak videos and clips into topics all of the time. There's a clip for everything :)

I have noticed...

Dinsdale...

I have noticed...

Dinsdale...

dinsdale-59307.jpg?1178463417

Hail Sithis!

Sorry abut your chair :) was it because of the video was funny and you were laughing or did it just break?

I put alot of stress on it. It's my dad's old one. I basically do the equivalent of heavy dips on the arms whenever I slouch and want to get back up. I played lineman in highschool football, so yeah, lots of stess.

CPU - FX 8320 @ 4.8 GHz

I put alot of stress on it. It's my dad's old one. I basically do the equivalent of heavy dips on the arms whenever I slouch and want to get back up. I played lineman in highschool football, so yeah, lots of stess.

Oh well hope you can fix it...

Hail Sithis!