Apple WWDC 2015: Official Thread

SamNeedham123

Isn't it great that Google steals all your data, breaks your phone with a shitty update then makes you wait 4 months for a fix. Yeah open source

Open Source has nothing to do with it.

It is the way the OS was designed that makes updates difficult to distribute.

The argument of doing things like what Google did: simplicity, and increase performance, allowing better experience with lower end phones.

All this dedication to making streaming music work, when stats have proved it literally pays nothing compared to physical sales, digital downloads, and merchandise.  And I'm sitting here wondering why more labels and artists don't use Bandcamp.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

I think Apple is making too big of a deal on them not invading your privacy. I'm sure it's fine for the majority of the people, but for me- I like to play with betas and I'm always restoring my phone to brand new. Not having my fingerprint, frequent locations, and other "privacy invading" stuff synced is kinda annoying to me because those takes week to build up (sans the fingerprint). Although I appreciate their efforts, maybe they should have an option to let you sync your siri recommendations and frequent locations and whatever but have it disabled as default. 

Apple is just capitalizing on growing consumer awareness of privacy. As more documents and policies are leaked about the government and companies spying on consumers, Apple wants to make sure that customers know their stance on privacy.

All this dedication to making streaming music work, when stats have proved it literally pays nothing compared to physical sales, digital downloads, and merchandise.  And I'm sitting here wondering why more labels and artists don't use Bandcamp.

While it is true that physical sales and sales from let's say iTunes is more profitable. You're comparing that to Spotify's piss poor free tier. I forgot the exact numbers but it's something like 30% of Spotify's user base (the paid tier) makes up 90% of Spotify's revenue. Meaning the other 70% of Spotify's userbase (free tier) makes absolutely no god damn money which is why Apple and many artists REFUSE to hop aboard that platform.

basically me when i saw theyre not unveiling new MBP yet

CAch8-KWUAATsup.jpg

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

What does open source have to do with it? Not sure what update you're referring to either.

Oberon might be a bit too harsh in his comment but one of the most common arguments I hear for why Apple products are good is "they are limited so you can't mess something up very easily", so there is some truth to it.

Catering to those kinds of users isn't necessarily a bad thing either.

Open Source has nothing to do with it.

It is the way the OS was designed that makes updates difficult to distribute.

The argument of doing things like what Google did: simplicity, and increase performance, allowing better experience with lower end phones.

androids open source means google has little to no say in what phone manufactures can do with android. its this that leads to 4 months + for updates and devices that are only a year old not getting supported......lollipop was released in october and yet i was april before sony rolled it out to the z3.....7 fucking months....google had released 2 other iterations of lollipop and the z3 still only got the 5.0 version.  so when you have bugs like the memory leak bug it takes an age to fix.

sorry @GoodBytes its early so i dont get what your point is with that last sentance

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

sorry @GoodBytes its early so i dont get what your point is with that last sentance

I meant, making an OS where everything is in components with a layers system, in such a way that, that allow phone manufactures to tweak the GUI to their liking, allowing google to be able to deliver security updates so that they can be applied regardless of the custom GUI, in majority of cases, without issues to all phones. But this design creates a software, well, operating system, in this case, that has a lot of overhead, reducing performance, requiring faster processors to be used. Being all integrated simplifies development (except if you are the one doing custom GUI for it), and reduces overhead, making the OS more lightweight.

A demonstration of this, is like with Vista and XP driver model. Under XP, all hardware drivers are loaded once close to the kernel for maximum performance. But, if the driver crash, the whole OS will crash with a BSOD. Also, you need to restart your computer, a must in some cases (more so in previous version of Windows due to closer ties to the kernel), to load the new drivers. In Vista and up, if a driver crash, the OS may be able to restart it if the hardware itself didn't corrupt and/or stop responding, and reboots aren't actually needed. However, we experienced degradation in performance, affecting user experience and gaming performance in exchange. Faster hardware 3 years later by the time Win7 was released allowed some level of compensation, and the more advance OS, with support of newer technologies, made us make these improvements outweighs the loss of performance, now, minor (due to faster chips). Not to mention how XP performance poorly with new hardware.

I meant, making an OS where everything is in components with a layers system, in such a way that, that allow phone manufactures to tweak the GUI to their liking, allowing google to be able to deliver security updates so that they can be applied regardless of the custom GUI, in majority of cases, without issues to all phones. But this design creates a software, well, operating system, in this case, that has a lot of overhead, reducing performance, requiring faster processors to be used. Being all integrated simplifies development (except if you are the one doing custom GUI for it), and reduces overhead, making the OS more lightweight.

A demonstration of this, is like with Vista and XP driver model. Under XP, all hardware drivers are loaded once close to the kernel for maximum performance. But, if the driver crash, the whole OS will crash with a BSOD. Also, you need to restart your computer, a must in some cases (more so in previous version of Windows due to closer ties to the kernel), to load the new drivers. In Vista and up, if a driver crash, the OS may be able to restart it if the hardware itself didn't corrupt and/or stop responding, and reboots aren't actually needed. However, we experienced degradation in performance, affecting user experience and gaming performance in exchange. Faster hardware 3 years later by the time Win7 was released allowed some level of compensation, and the more advance OS, with support of newer technologies, made us make these improvements outweighs the loss of performance, now, minor (due to faster chips). Not to mention how XP performance poorly with new hardware.

ah i get you now.  yeah i see where your coming from....i, personally,  dont like the different guis for different manufactures....*cough* toutchwiz *cough* it feels like it adds to the fragmentation

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

ah i get you now.  yeah i see where your coming from....i, personally,  dont like the different guis for different manufactures....*cough* toutchwiz *cough* it feels like it adds to the fragmentation

It has also added a tremendous amounts of improvements to Android. A lot of the things that are now in AOSP were originally from OEM skins.

There are benefits and drawbacks to it.

Wow iOS 8 looks really good, can't wait for the update. Apple music looks decent but it might have to do some work to win over Spotify.

Wow iOS 8 looks really good, can't wait for the update. Apple music looks decent but it might have to do some work to win over Spotify.

Do you mean iOS 9?  :P

I think Apple Music is something we'll just have to use the Free Trials to find out what it's really like. I'm fully prepared to give it a go, but it's got a lot to live up to to move me from Spotify!

Also, I found this on Mashable, some of you may find a little interesting...

WWDC-Timeline-Infographic-2006-2015b.jpg

Do you mean iOS 9?  :P

Hahahaha ooops iOS 8 has been out for a long time.

I like how he calls it official thread, like he got a license and if someone else wanted to cover it then they can't because he licensed the right to cover the event.

Linus said you're an asshole , congrats .

Linus said you're an asshole , congrats .

Where ?? I need to put that thing in my sig.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Well not exactly , but here https://youtu.be/W4DPonYbVlc?t=19m21s

He didn't say I'm an asshole ( sad day ).

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650