Any reason to go Z170 over Z97

What benefits in gaming or in general does z170 have or z97. I assume it will be more expensive. Besides the updated motherboard designs (that Asrock board looks sexy AF waiting to see what ROG has.) Are there any real benefits?

I think what Scotty was trying to say was that we don't really know enough yet about the Z170's to be able to answer that for you.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

X99 WhoKnowsAnymore
CPU: Intel i7 5930K | Motherboard: MSI X99A Gaming Pro Carbon | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid | 

Hold on, let me go check my crystal ball...

I think there is enough leaked information like what type of RAM its using and how many cores and threads and what not the 6th generation will have.

I'm considering upgrading just for the new motherboard designs, really like the new gigabyte g1 board.

CPU: 6600K @ 4.6Ghz | COOLER: H100i GTX | MOBO: Asus Z170 AR | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB | 

CASE: Corsair 760T | PSU: Corsair RM750x | STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & Seagate 2TB | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB | MOUSE: Deathadder Elite

I'm considering upgrading just for the new motherboard designs, really like the new gigabyte g1 board.

That actually looks really nice on top it using a high end sound card just wish that it was black and red instead of white and red.

If you're going Skylake, you get Z170. If you're going Haswell/Broadwell, you get Z97. Simple.

Unless you're one of the extremely few people who upgrade for motherboard features, in which case Z170 mostly adds more chipset PCIe lanes, allowing for a greater reliance on PCIe based storage.

Also, it probably won't be more expensive. Intel's pricing scheme rarely changes much.

That actually looks really nice on top it using a high end sound card just wish that it was black and red instead of white and red.

Yeah I would of preferred it to be just like white and blue but I was thinking of just painting all the red bits blue to match my system anyway.

CPU: 6600K @ 4.6Ghz | COOLER: H100i GTX | MOBO: Asus Z170 AR | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB | 

CASE: Corsair 760T | PSU: Corsair RM750x | STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & Seagate 2TB | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB | MOUSE: Deathadder Elite

If you're going Skylake, you get Z170. If you're going Haswell/Broadwell, you get Z97. Simple.

Unless you're one of the extremely few people who upgrade for motherboard features, in which case Z170 mostly adds more chipset PCIe lanes, allowing for a greater reliance on PCIe based storage.

Also, it probably won't be more expensive. Intel's pricing scheme rarely changes much.

So z170 is more of an upgraded z97 like the jump to z87 to z97 if your building a new pc its more of a why not kinda thing.

Z170 will support skylake, z97 does not

What about broadwell on z97 I've seen it on newer high end laptops but not on desktops?

So z170 is more of an upgraded z97 like the jump to z87 to z97 if your building a new pc its more of a why not kinda thing.

It's more like the jump from Z77 to Z87. It comes with a new socket and thus is compatible with a completely different set of CPUs.

What about broadwell on z97 I've seen it on newer high end laptops but not on desktops?

Z97 is a desktop chipset. Broadwell works on Z97 but not on Z170, because Z170 comes with the new LGA 1151 socket. Broadwell, like Haswell, uses the old LGA 1150 socket.

• 1 month later...

I say wait until further info comes. 2 weeks until Gamescom. More info will come out during that time as numerous articles have reported. And hopefully by Black Friday, enough reviews will be out to make a decision!

to put it into perspective, friend had an i7-3770k and then upgraded to an i7-4770k (I have no clue...). He got it right away without really waiting for reviews and was upset it wasnt overclocking even close to his old 5.0Ghz. Lesson learned.

Maybe I'll get one to upgrade my i5-650 Clarkdale :)

My 2010-2014 Build (current as of 4.14.14)

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

On a scale from WCCF to Adidos, how fake is that?

Zimbabwe/10

Regular human bartender...Jackie Daytona.

Well even if this is a fake, overclocking is most likely not going to be worse then haswell/devils Canyon ;D

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

ehh ill stay with my x99 platform, 5gh at that speed is probably pushing the cpu to hell and back and the heat cant be good

Systems i currently have 

Project: SnowWolf

Computer Case: Corsair 780T || CPU: intel 5930k @ 4.6GHz || Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 cpu cooler || Mobo: Asus Delux 3.1U || RAM Corsair Vengence lpx (8x8GB Black) 2133MHz || PSU: Corsair ATX 1200watt || HDD: WD Blue 2TB + 500GB Samsung 850 evo ssd || GPU: Nvidia Titan X hybrid @ 1400MHz

Project: No Name

Computer Case: Coolermaster 410 elite(Black) || CPU: intell 3770k @ 3.9GHz || Cooler: Stock intel cooler || Mobo: MSI Something || RAM Corsair vengence (3x4GB Black) 1600MHz || PSU: Corsair 750watt psu || HDD: WD Blue 1TB + 500GB Samsung 840 evo || GPU: Nvidia 680  @ 1100MHz

A direct answer to the title of this post: no.

Black and green build, I call it "Murphy". - CPU: Intel i5 4690k at 3.5 GHz - GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X SOC Force - RAM: 8GB 1866 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro (gold) - PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2 - Storage: 240GB Corsair Force LE SSD & 1TB Western Digital Black HDD - Case: Corsair Carbide 300r - Lighting: 2 green Logisys LED sticks (currently removed)

There will be more ssd compatibility.

An AMD cpu has no place in a solely gaming build, end of.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

Why you shouldn't trust Gpu or Cpu boss Click on this I dare you!